Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clarke 130EN

A little while ago, I had a question about life-span of fluxcore wire,
and mentioned that I had a MIG welder I'd gotten as a Christmas
present that I was planning to write a review of at some point. Well,
here it is -- I'll mention going in that I've got no association with
Clarke nor the company I got it from other than having bought this
welder.

Before I begin: when I was researching MIG welders, somebody (I think
on this newsgroup) mentioned that the most important feature of a 120V
MIG was that it weigh enough and have a solid enough handle that it
could be used as a good boat anchor. If that's your view of 120V
welders you can stop reading right here, since this is a 120V welder.
It is a light-duty unit; if your interest is in structural welding of
1/2" thick metal you can forget about it. Like any tool, there are
things this welder is designed for and things it isn't, and major jobs
like that are 'way outside its range.

I picked it based on the following criteria: I don't have useful 220
in my garage (I do have 220, but it's only 20 amps. What on earth
were the first owners of this house thinking?). Among 120V welders,
this one had the best advertised duty cycle -- better than Lincoln or
Miller at a much better price. I expect parts to be easy to come by
-- Sears is now selling it as a Craftsman, and while I'm no fan of
Sears, I have to admit that they're good about maintaining parts
stocks for old products. Finally, my needs are definitely on the
light-duty end -- the project that finally got me off my butt to learn
how to do this, and to get a welder, is repairing the clutch pedal
mounting bracket on my daughter's Damned Toyota truck.

So, on to the welder.

I guess the best place to start is with the crap... excuse me,
accessories... packaged with it. It comes with 1/2 lb of .035
fluxcore wire, three contact tips (.023, .030 iirc, and .035), a MIG
nozzle, a plastic-handled wire brush, and a pathetic hand-held face
shield. The wire is, of course, very useful as a starter. I'm not
quite sure why there was any point in including two contact tips that
didn't fit the wire supplied; I very much would have preferred a .035
to match the wire, and one or two spares the same size. Since it came
with fluxcore, I'd rather have gotten a fluxcore "nozzle" (I've since
bought one) than a MIG nozzle. The brush is OK (though it doesn't
have a lot of wire brush area -- a $1.95 wood-handled wire brush works
a lot better), and the face shield is worse than a waste of time,
since it requires a hand to hold it; I smell liability lawyers here.

The welder itself has some interesting points. The controls are
pretty standard -- a 4-position voltage control and an
infinitely-adjustable wirespeed control. They work fine, but I'd
really rather have calibrated controls. I would rather know what
voltage a given setting provides, and what wirespeed a given speed
provides. But, really, while it would satisfy my particular flavor
of geekines, it wouldn't actually provide any more useful
information.

I think, based on the manual which is the same for both this welder
and their 180EN, that the two welders share the same cabinet. At any
rate, there are holes in the cabinet that would be perfect for
inserting an axle to put it on two wheels in back (I'm sort of tempted
to do that...), while the hardware I got with it was just feet front
and back. Something very odd is that the back of the cabinet seems to
be designed to put a 4" gas bottle on it -- there's a half-round
depression at the top, and a platform on the bottom, which look like
they had this in mind, but there's no way to secure a bottle to the
case. If I do step up to MIG at some point, I'll investigate putting
on some sort of strap to hold a bottle on. The welder does have a gas
valve and hose for MIG; I went ahead and also got a regulator at the
same time I got the welder so the gas bottle and some wire would be
all I needed to move on. The cabinet also has room for a 10lb spool
of wire inside (which is what I've got in there now).

It seems to be built ruggedly enough -- really solid, in fact. The
wire feed is plastic, except the surfaces that are actually in contact
with the wire are metal. The tension controls are sort of obvious in
terms of a what to screw down to increase tension on the wire feed and
on the spool; I'm sure no expert on getting them set up right, but the
wire doesn't seem to be coming out distorted and I have yet to have a
birds-nest (frantically knocking wood here).

My experience with it to date has been that as long as I work within
the limitations of the welder and my power in the garage, it works
fine. It'll weld light sheet metal all day; near as I can tell (with
my really limited skill) its settings are quite consistent. I haven't
had any sense that the wire speed varies a lot for a given setting
(which is a complaint I've seen about low-end welders). Welding metal
thinner than 1/8" seems to work just fine. On thicker metal (it's
supposed to be good for 5/16", but that seems like somebody's fantasy)
I have a hard time getting adequate penetration, but I'm not sure to
what extent that's the welder's problem and to what extent it's mine.
Working on the 15A 120V circuit I have available, I've never tripped
the welder's thermal shutoff -- I've tripped the circuit breaker
instead (grumble grumble grumble).

It'll be a decade before I can answer the next question: how does it
hold up? My guess is it'll be OK. We'll see.

So: If you're looking for a light-duty welder for reasonably thin
metal, this one seems really good for its price. If you're going to
be doing heavy-duty structural welding, that's just not what it's
intended for and you'll be miserable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a consideration - some years ago I bought a "made in italy" MIG welder for
$100 or so (it was a few years ago) - it worked OK new, but the feed pinch
roller mechansim was mostly plastic and after a while it wouldn't feed any
more and it jammed continually - so I gave up and sold it - felt "good
riddance" - so beware of plastic parts in the wire path of a welder

" So: If you're looking for a light-duty welder for reasonably thin
metal, this one seems really good for its price. If you're going to
be doing heavy-duty structural welding, that's just not what it's
intended for and you'll be miserable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
[...]

I have the Sears version of the same welder and find it a perfect fit for my
needs- I've done some body work with it and fixed the $1200 catalytic
converter on my truck with it. It's paid for itself and then some.
With practice and quality wire, it will weld angle iron nicely- I built a
welding table with mine (a mandatory item for a MIG welder).

I do have one comment- the cooling system is a lousy design, but is easy to
improve. Here's how I did it:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/migfan.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/migfan.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/migfb4.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/migfsd.jpg

I guess the best place to start is with the crap... excuse me,
accessories... packaged with it. It comes with 1/2 lb of .035
fluxcore wire

Discard it. Fluxcore wire is nasty, gassy stuff. Learn to MIG weld- it is
very easy and the welds will be strong and good looking.
As always, practice, practice , practice. Most beginners tend to move too
fast (I know I did) and it takes some disipline to slow down.

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor welds.
Buy some anti-spatter spray- your welds will be much neater.

I think, based on the manual which is the same for both this welder
and their 180EN, that the two welders share the same cabinet. At any
rate, there are holes in the cabinet that would be perfect for
inserting an axle to put it on two wheels in back (I'm sort of tempted
to do that...),

Sears packages thiers with a decent cart that holds the welder and argon/CO2
tank. You might want to copy it.

The cabinet also has room for a 10lb spool of wire inside (which is what
I've got in there now).

I wouldn't use such a heavy spool for two reasons: the tractor system is not
super heavy-duty and welding wire does corrode (causing no end of grief) and
the only thing you can do is replace it with clean wire. Throwing out 10
pounds of wire gets expensive. Trust me on this one. Unless you plan on
doing a _lot_ of welding, the smaller spools are a better choice.

So: If you're looking for a light-duty welder for reasonably thin
metal, this one seems really good for its price. If you're going to
be doing heavy-duty structural welding, that's just not what it's
intended for and you'll be miserable.

Agreed.

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Byrns" writes:

I do have one comment- the cooling system is a lousy design, but is easy to
improve. Here's how I did it:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/migfan.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/migfan.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/migfb4.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/migfsd.jpg

Thanks -- I'll want to check that!

I guess the best place to start is with the crap... excuse me,
accessories... packaged with it. It comes with 1/2 lb of .035
fluxcore wire

Discard it. Fluxcore wire is nasty, gassy stuff. Learn to MIG weld- it is
very easy and the welds will be strong and good looking.
As always, practice, practice , practice. Most beginners tend to move too
fast (I know I did) and it takes some disipline to slow down.

Yep, practice is helping... my MIG vs. fluxcore experience to date is
that MIG is prettier, but I seem to be able to get welds that at least
work with fluxcore...

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor welds.
Buy some anti-spatter spray- your welds will be much neater.

Never heard of anti-spatter spray before. Definitely a stop to make
on the way home from work today...

I think, based on the manual which is the same for both this welder
and their 180EN, that the two welders share the same cabinet. At any
rate, there are holes in the cabinet that would be perfect for
inserting an axle to put it on two wheels in back (I'm sort of tempted
to do that...),

Sears packages thiers with a decent cart that holds the welder and argon/CO2
tank. You might want to copy it.

My space is constrained enough I'm holding off on this for now.

The cabinet also has room for a 10lb spool of wire inside (which is what
I've got in there now).

I wouldn't use such a heavy spool for two reasons: the tractor system is not
super heavy-duty and welding wire does corrode (causing no end of grief) and
the only thing you can do is replace it with clean wire. Throwing out 10
pounds of wire gets expensive. Trust me on this one. Unless you plan on
doing a _lot_ of welding, the smaller spools are a better choice.

I asked about that in this newsgroup before buying the spool -- I live
at the north end of the Chihuahuan desert (Las Cruces, NM), so there
was a consensus that the big spool ought to be OK. At this point, I
sure hope so!

Thanks for your comments,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Byrns" writes:

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor
welds.

Not nozzles- I meant contact tips.

I asked about that in this newsgroup before buying the spool -- I live
at the north end of the Chihuahuan desert (Las Cruces, NM

Nice- my uncle lived in Albuquerque and I visited him there. Fell in love
with the high desert.
Would move there in an instant. May do so in the future.

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 03:16:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl
Byrns" quickly quoth:

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
. ..
"Carl Byrns" writes:

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor
welds.

Not nozzles- I meant contact tips.

I asked about that in this newsgroup before buying the spool -- I live
at the north end of the Chihuahuan desert (Las Cruces, NM

Nice- my uncle lived in Albuquerque and I visited him there. Fell in love
with the high desert.
Would move there in an instant. May do so in the future.

I eyed the NM area and met with Lew before I moved to Oregon. It's
beautiful country with great people (Hi, Lew!), but ABQ was too big a
city for me, and NM too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, and
too windy most of the time for my tastes.

--
It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.
-- Garrison Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11 Mar 2008 17:40:32 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor welds.
Buy some anti-spatter spray- your welds will be much neater.

Never heard of anti-spatter spray before. Definitely a stop to make
on the way home from work today...

Stop at the 99c store and buy a spray can of Pam or other "non stick
cooking spray"

Works pretty good as an anti spatter spray for pennies.
Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Byrns" writes:

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor
welds.

Not nozzles- I meant contact tips.

I asked about that in this newsgroup before buying the spool -- I live
at the north end of the Chihuahuan desert (Las Cruces, NM

Nice- my uncle lived in Albuquerque and I visited him there. Fell in love
with the high desert.
Would move there in an instant. May do so in the future.

I eyed the NM area and met with Lew before I moved to Oregon. It's
beautiful country with great people (Hi, Lew!), but ABQ was too big a
city for me, and NM too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, and
too windy most of the time for my tastes.

Up there it does get chilly in winter -- down here, it gets too hotin
the summer and is too windy spring and fall, but the winter climate is
excellent.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I eyed the NM area and met with Lew before I moved to Oregon. It's
beautiful country with great people (Hi, Lew!), but ABQ was too big a
city for me, and NM too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, and
too windy most of the time for my tastes.

Hi, Larry. :-)
Yes it does get a little cool in the winter and a little warm in
the summer ---BUT-- It's a LOT better than PA where I came from. :-)
The wind is a more or less constant companion. As far as big cities
go it is the easiest to get around in that I've seen and that is
quite a few.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:25:23 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor welds.
Buy some anti-spatter spray- your welds will be much neater.

Never heard of anti-spatter spray before. Definitely a stop to make
on the way home from work today...

Stop at the 99c store and buy a spray can of Pam or other "non stick
cooking spray"

Works pretty good as an anti spatter spray for pennies.

You're welding pennies now? chortle

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I eyed the NM area and met with Lew before I moved to Oregon. It's
beautiful country with great people (Hi, Lew!), but ABQ was too big a
city for me, and NM too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, and
too windy most of the time for my tastes.

I live in Central New York- we see -20 in the winter, 100 in the summer and
winds of 60 mph aren't unkown. At least our Guv is good for a laugh.

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor welds.
Buy some anti-spatter spray- your welds will be much neater.

Never heard of anti-spatter spray before. Definitely a stop to make
on the way home from work today...

Stop at the 99c store and buy a spray can of Pam or other "non stick
cooking spray"

Works pretty good as an anti spatter spray for pennies.

You're welding pennies now? chortle

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:52:20 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl
Byrns" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I eyed the NM area and met with Lew before I moved to Oregon. It's
beautiful country with great people (Hi, Lew!), but ABQ was too big a
city for me, and NM too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, and
too windy most of the time for my tastes.

I live in Central New York- we see -20 in the winter, 100 in the summer and
winds of 60 mph aren't unkown. At least our Guv is good for a laugh.

Gee, all those Democrats and humidity, and you have weather, too? I'm
much happier on the Left Coast, where 15% humidity and a couple inches
of snow (every other year) are the norm. 32 annual inches of rain are
nothing.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even
the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve
of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:24:40 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor welds.
Buy some anti-spatter spray- your welds will be much neater.

Never heard of anti-spatter spray before. Definitely a stop to make
on the way home from work today...

Stop at the 99c store and buy a spray can of Pam or other "non stick
cooking spray"

Works pretty good as an anti spatter spray for pennies.

You're welding pennies now? chortle

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

How long does it take for the simulated copper coating to burn off?
Otherwise, that'd be a -real- tricky welding job.

P.S: Send b/d/a pics to the dropbox!

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even
the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve
of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Buy more nozzles- they wear out fairly quickly and will lead to poor welds.
Buy some anti-spatter spray- your welds will be much neater.

Never heard of anti-spatter spray before. Definitely a stop to make
on the way home from work today...

Stop at the 99c store and buy a spray can of Pam or other "non stick
cooking spray"

Works pretty good as an anti spatter spray for pennies.

You're welding pennies now? chortle

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

How long does it take for the simulated copper coating to burn off?
Otherwise, that'd be a -real- tricky welding job.

P.S: Send b/d/a pics to the dropbox!

Im using nothing but all pre-1982 coins. To use later ones, would
require JB weld, and you know how that would look...G

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:17:40 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

I thought it made cents. Shrug

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 01:34:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

I thought it made cents. Shrug

In pennyance, say 10 Hail Marys and do 20 rosary whatchamathingers.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even
the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve
of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

I thought it made cents. Shrug

In pennyance, say 10 Hail Marys and do 20 rosary whatchamathingers.

I wonder if they will send the coppers after me for defacing coins?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

I thought it made cents. Shrug

In pennyance, say 10 Hail Marys and do 20 rosary whatchamathingers.

I wonder if they will send the coppers after me for defacing coins?

Are you trying to reenact the 'copper clapper caper'?

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

I thought it made cents. Shrug

In pennyance, say 10 Hail Marys and do 20 rosary whatchamathingers.

I wonder if they will send the coppers after me for defacing coins?

Are you trying to reenact the 'copper clapper caper'?

Can't - his name's neither Carl nor Clara.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

I thought it made cents. Shrug

In pennyance, say 10 Hail Marys and do 20 rosary whatchamathingers.

I wonder if they will send the coppers after me for defacing coins?

Are you trying to reenact the 'copper clapper caper'?

I couldnt make heads or tails of that.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

I couldn't make heads or tails of that.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:54:29 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I couldn't make heads or tails of that.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

Sheesh, you guys! I'm coin home.
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I couldn't make heads or tails of that.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

And it was a real deal! I didnt even give you a penny for your
thoughts!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I couldn't make heads or tails of that.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

Sheesh, you guys! I'm coin home.
Bob

Dime you! You would run off!

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I couldn't make heads or tails of that.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

And it was a real deal! I didnt even give you a penny for your
thoughts!

No problem, I know gas prices atre going to change, soon.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Sat, 15 Mar 2008 01:34:31 -0700
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

I thought it made cents. Shrug

You're gonna get slugged for that one.

Why? Wooden you like a nickel?

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

I thought it made cents. Shrug

You're gonna get slugged for that one.

pyotr

And no, I'm not calling the bottle & stoppers.
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote on Sun, 16 Mar 2008
03:32:47 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Of course. Im making a life sized bust of Abe Lincoln out of pennies.
Appropriate, no?

Gunner? How could you zinc so low?

I thought it made cents. Shrug

You're gonna get slugged for that one.