Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default South Bend Lathe - trying to identify for eventual sale

Hi all,

I'm handling the estate of my late father-in-law, who has a South Bend
lathe in his workshop. The lathe has no identifying markings or
serial number that I can find. I'm wondering if anyone can help me
identify it from these photos: http://learningapi.com/files/ebay/lathe/

While it's quite dirty, the lathe is is good working condition and was
used regularly until just recently. There's a drawer full of parts and
accessories that I cannot identify (some shown in photo) as well.
Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Larry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm sure you will get plenty of input from others on this, but the photo
in the lower right hand corner of the set of pix you sent are for
totally separate machine. It looks like a tool and cutter grinder to
me. It should be sold as a separate item.

Don't take my input on the lathe as gospel, but it looks to be a 9"
swing lathe. Potential buyers "in the know" should want to see and
feel it, checking for the condition of the ways, and checking for
looseness in the headstock, since it appears to be a babbit bearin model.
The tailstock is the part at the right end of the lathe. There is a
drill chuck in it. Turn the outer ring on the chuck until the jaws are
all the way closed. Then measure the distance from the center of those
jaws to one of the ways (the shiny iron "rails"). This number times 2
is the "swing" of the lathe. It's one of the main pieces of info that a
prospective buyer will want to know.
Now measure the distance between the end of the tailstock chuck and
the Headstock (big thing that the belts are attached to)chuck.
Add about 4 inches to that measurement (because this measurement is
usually made with the chucks off and the tailstock ram all the way in)
and you should have the approximate "distance between centers".
Anybody who is shopping for a South Bend lathe needs that info first.

Threading Gears: Look at the gears attached to the left end of the
lathe. There should be a bunch more someplace around there. The only
real negative I see about this lathe is that it does NOT have a "Quick
Change Gear Box. You need either the QC gearbox OR the stack of extra
gears to make the machine fully funcitonal And, if you can't find the
gears, a new owner would have no way to change the carriage feed rate.
That could limit the price considerably.

Price: The price can vary a LOT depending upon condition and the amount
of tooling that comes with it. South Bend is a well known and
respected maker.

I helped a friend of mine evaluate and buy one almost exactly like this
lathe a year ago. It had even more tooling than this one. It also had
the original cast iron-leg stand. We paid $1000 for it, dissasssembled
and loaded it an drove away. A year later, my friend is still walking
about 2 feet in the air because he got such a good deal!!!! We did not
haggle; just paid the asking price.

Shipping is a sort of big deal. But, selling it "for pick up only"
limits the range of buyers, as you probably already know.

I just checked ebay for "comparables", but right now, although there are
about a half dozen South Bend lathes there, I don't see any that would
be close to what you have there..

Hope this helps,
Pete Stanaitis

Hi all,

I'm handling the estate of my late father-in-law, who has a South Bend
lathe in his workshop. The lathe has no identifying markings or
serial number that I can find. I'm wondering if anyone can help me
identify it from these photos:
http://learningapi.com/files/ebay/lathe/

While it's quite dirty, the lathe is is good working condition and was
used regularly until just recently. There's a drawer full of parts and
accessories that I cannot identify (some shown in photo) as well.
Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Larry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete - thanks so much for all this info! I'd been wondering about how
the size was measured, and your info has been very illuminating.

Yes...you're tight about that last photo - I didn't realize it was in
that batch. That is a Kwik-Way valve refacer/grinder. Definitely a
separate item! Lot of the same issues with that, too, though - I have
no idea if all the parts are with it, although it does appear to run
smoothly.

I'll dig around and look for extra gears. There's a large drawer full
of hardware with this, some of which are clearly separate (for
example, a large bunch of taps), but some of which is probably part of
the lathe and I didn't really look that closely.

I know local pickup will limit the price, but I've been thinking that
eBay might still be the right venue, as I'd have no idea how to price
it fairly and realistically if I put it on craigslist or the like.
I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the particulars to know what's a
good deal for this specific piece. I suppose I could just set the
price at $500 and see what happens - either someone will get a great
deal, or it'll go unsold, which would tell me to lower the price...

Thanks again!
Larry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Hi all,

I'm handling the estate of my late father-in-law, who has a South Bend
lathe in his workshop. The lathe has no identifying markings or
serial number that I can find. I'm wondering if anyone can help me
identify it from these photos:
http://learningapi.com/files/ebay/lathe/

While it's quite dirty, the lathe is is good working condition and was
used regularly until just recently. There's a drawer full of parts and
accessories that I cannot identify (some shown in photo) as well.
Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Larry

It does look rather like the lathe detailed here
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbendmodelfive9inch/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm handling the estate of my late father-in-law, who has a South Bend
lathe in his workshop. The lathe has no identifying markings or
serial number that I can find. I'm wondering if anyone can help me
identify it from these photos:
http://learningapi.com/files/ebay/lathe/

While it's quite dirty, the lathe is is good working condition and was
used regularly until just recently. There's a drawer full of parts and
accessories that I cannot identify (some shown in photo) as well.
Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Larry

It does look rather like the lathe detailed here
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbendmodelfive9inch/

Look on the same site as above, for the South Bend Model "B" 9 inch
swing lathe.

The Key feature is that it has the power cross feed, without having
the quick change gear box.

The power cross feed is the star shaped knob on the front of the apron
of the carriage. The pin selector lever (pull the pin, select the
position, upper, lower, or middle IIRC) selects whether the lathe feeds
lengthwise or crosswise, or does not feed, and the star wheel is a
clutch that is turned to engage the feed and provide some slippage if
the load gets too high (if it is not screwed down too tightly).

The Model A has a quick change threading gear box and power cross feed.

The Model B has change gears for threading and power cross feed.

The Model C version has change gears and no power cross feed.

There is a pretty good South Bend forum on the practical Machinist
website.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi all,

I'm handling the estate of my late father-in-law, who has a South Bend
lathe in his workshop. The lathe has no identifying markings or
serial number that I can find. I'm wondering if anyone can help me
identify it from these photos:
http://learningapi.com/files/ebay/lathe/

While it's quite dirty, the lathe is is good working condition and was
used regularly until just recently. There's a drawer full of parts and
accessories that I cannot identify (some shown in photo) as well.
Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Larry

it would help if people kenw where you were located. Someone may be
close enough to take a look and help you identify everything.

According to a Whois lookup, you are posting from Harvard:

IP address: 128.103.36.76
Reverse DNS: [No reverse DNS entry per
ns.harvard.edu.]
Reverse DNS authenticity: [Unknown]
ASN: 1742
ASN Name: HARVARD-UNIV
IP range connectivity: 4
Registrar (per ASN): ARIN
Country (per IP registrar): US [United States]
Country Currency: USD [United States Dollars]
Country IP Range: 128.102.0.0 to 128.103.255.255
Country fraud profile: Normal
City (per outside source): Revere, Massachusetts
Country (per outside source): US [United States]
Private (internal) IP? No
IP address registrar: whois.arin.net
Known Proxy? No
Link for WHOIS: 128.103.36.76

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to everyone for all this great info...I'm learning a lot.

Yes, Michael, I am posting from Cambridge, MA. The lathe is located
in Swansea, MA.

Larry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:53:19 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

it would help if people kenw where you were located. Someone may be
close enough to take a look and help you identify everything.

According to a Whois lookup, you are posting from Harvard:

Note the cleverly disguised hint to the lathe's location in the
original post.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:53:19 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

it would help if people kenw where you were located. Someone may be
close enough to take a look and help you identify everything.

According to a Whois lookup, you are posting from Harvard:

Note the cleverly disguised hint to the lathe's location in the
original post.

--
Ned Simmons

Boston is a big 'area'. Just like 'Orlando area' means anything
within a two hour drive, one way.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:26:47 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Boston is a big 'area'. Just like 'Orlando area' means anything
within a two hour drive, one way.

Boston is most definitely not "just like" Orlando.

A two hour drive from Boston will put you past 3 state capitals (NH,
RI, CT), and closer to 2 others (VT, NY) than the distance back to
Boston. Portland ME, Portsmouth & Manchester NH, Worcester &
Springfield MA are also within 2 hrs driving distance. Two hours gets
you halfway between Boston and NYC.

I can assure you that noone who lives in or around those cities
considers themselves from the Boston area, at least when speaking to
anyone from New England.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote in
:

wrote:

Boston is a big 'area'. Just like 'Orlando area' means anything
within a two hour drive, one way.

Boston is most definitely not "just like" Orlando.

A two hour drive from Boston will put you past 3 state capitals (NH,
RI, CT), and closer to 2 others (VT, NY) than the distance back to
Boston. Portland ME, Portsmouth & Manchester NH, Worcester &
Springfield MA are also within 2 hrs driving distance. Two hours gets
you halfway between Boston and NYC.

I can assure you that noone who lives in or around those cities
considers themselves from the Boston area, at least when speaking to
anyone from New England.

Depending upon the time of day, a 2-hour trip that starts in the center of
Boston may only get you to the airport. grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Hi all,

I'm handling the estate of my late father-in-law, who has a South Bend
lathe in his workshop. The lathe has no identifying markings or
serial number that I can find. I'm wondering if anyone can help me
identify it from these photos:
http://learningapi.com/files/ebay/lathe/

While it's quite dirty, the lathe is is good working condition and was
used regularly until just recently. There's a drawer full of parts and
accessories that I cannot identify (some shown in photo) as well.
Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Larry

Serial number is stamped at the tailstock end of the bed. Top looking
down. Far right as facing the machine. Between the flat and v-way near
the two screws that hold the leadscrew mount.

South Bend has or had a serial number cross reference that would
determine the machine's date of manufacture.

Should be a model number name plate at the end of the bed or or along
the back of the bed either end.

Good Luck
Jim Vrzal
Holiday,Fl.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RAM³" wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote in
:

wrote:

Boston is a big 'area'. Just like 'Orlando area' means anything
within a two hour drive, one way.

Boston is most definitely not "just like" Orlando.

A two hour drive from Boston will put you past 3 state capitals (NH,
RI, CT), and closer to 2 others (VT, NY) than the distance back to
Boston. Portland ME, Portsmouth & Manchester NH, Worcester &
Springfield MA are also within 2 hrs driving distance. Two hours gets
you halfway between Boston and NYC.

I can assure you that noone who lives in or around those cities
considers themselves from the Boston area, at least when speaking to
anyone from New England.

Depending upon the time of day, a 2-hour trip that starts in the center of
Boston may only get you to the airport. grin

That's just like Orlando, and people wondered why I liked to work
second shift. ;-) Depending on the time of day, and day of the week, I
am two to five and a half hours from downtown Orlando.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 10, 10:47*am, wrote:
I'm handling the estate of my late father-in-law, who has a South Bend
lathe in his workshop. *

Larry

Give this guy a call:
http://tools4cheap.net/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 10, 1:05*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
A two hour drive from Boston will put you past 3 state capitals (NH,
RI, CT), and closer to 2 others (VT, NY) than the distance back to
Boston. Portland ME, Portsmouth & Manchester NH, Worcester &
Springfield MA are also within 2 hrs driving distance. Two hours gets
you halfway between Boston and NYC.
--
Ned Simmons

Make that 3 others Ned, you're forgetting our own lovely downtown
Augusta. Only 60 or so miles from Portland. Should know, as I've
been through it on each of the last two weekends. Once on March 1 for
opening day at Liberty Tool, then again last Saturday for some stuff I
forgot to buy on the first visit.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:49:27 -0700 (PDT), John Martin
wrote:

On Mar 10, 1:05*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
A two hour drive from Boston will put you past 3 state capitals (NH,
RI, CT), and closer to 2 others (VT, NY) than the distance back to
Boston. Portland ME, Portsmouth & Manchester NH, Worcester &
Springfield MA are also within 2 hrs driving distance. Two hours gets
you halfway between Boston and NYC.
--
Ned Simmons

Make that 3 others Ned, you're forgetting our own lovely downtown
Augusta. Only 60 or so miles from Portland. Should know, as I've
been through it on each of the last two weekends. Once on March 1 for
opening day at Liberty Tool, then again last Saturday for some stuff I
forgot to buy on the first visit.

John Martin

Don't be too hard on me, John, Augusta is pretty forgettable - not
even a decent place to eat. I suggest on your next trip to Liberty you
get off the highway in Gardiner and have lunch at the A1 Diner. Pick
the right day in the next few weeks and you may be able to convince
the wife it's the next best thing to a vacation in Venice, what with
the melt water swirling around the booth.

Cross the river and there's a couple ways to get to route 3 without
having to see much of Augusta.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:13:09 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Depending upon the time of day, a 2-hour trip that starts in the center of
Boston may only get you to the airport. grin

You remind me why I try to stay on this side of the Piscataqua River.
g On the other hand, on a really good day, the fortunate Bostonian
could visit Methuen, Lynn, and the highlight of the trip, Brockton, in
2 hours.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:47:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi all,

I'm handling the estate of my late father-in-law, who has a South Bend
lathe in his workshop. The lathe has no identifying markings or
serial number that I can find. I'm wondering if anyone can help me
identify it from these photos:
http://learningapi.com/files/ebay/lathe/

While it's quite dirty, the lathe is is good working condition and was
used regularly until just recently. There's a drawer full of parts and
accessories that I cannot identify (some shown in photo) as well.
Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Larry

thanks for the photos.
that lathe is an almost complete original of my australian hercus.

if you release the friction clamp on the tailstock and slide it toward
the chuck you should see the serial numbers in the flat section
between the V ways at the right hand end of the lathe.

the lathe is quite dirty. get a paintbrush and a can of kerosene or
mineral turps and give it a scrub up. keep the brush wet in the
solvent work from the highest point downward and brush all the crud
off it. then either give it a goodly spray of WD40 or give the ways a
light oil. the new owner will also go over it and clean it so this is
just a temporary measure that will present it better.

you have there one of the most ergonomic lathes ever made. they are
just beautiful to use once you understand them. with a new 3 jaw chuck
and a new 4 jaw chuck (these are quite modestly priced these days) you
would find that that lathe would be quite usable.

Stealth Pilot
.... who loves his 50 year old AH model Hercus.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot...thanks much for the cleaning instructions -- I had no
idea how to even dent that grime beyond wiping it down. Your
instructions are very helpful!

Larry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 11, 5:56*pm, not today wrote:

might I suggest that If your gonna get off in Gardiner, *you head west
on 126 towards Lewiston aroung 5 miles out you will come to a four
corner. * Pond Road is a right hand turn and on that corner is a
little diner. *Not very elegant, *seats mayby 15 people but what a
feed. * *

*I thought Liberty tool was open on weekends all winter- Hide quoted text -

Diners are great, aren't they? I'll try that one some time. And
Ned's A1 as well.

Liberty closes down early January until the first Saturday in March.

They had some interesting stuff this time. A great number of quality
tools originally belonging to a Maurice W. Fowler. His Kennedy chests
were there, with his name and "Sheet Metal Mechanic" on them. I
bought some of the tools - makes you wonder who he was.

Really interesting though were the woodworking tools - they had many
hundreds of new old stock James Swan chisels, gouges, turning tools,
auger bits, etc. None of it newer than WW2 era, all in absolutely
perfect condition, unhandled. Supposedly came out of the attic of a
Boston hardware store that had been closed for years. Priced very
fairly. They had a "one per kind" limit on it, because apparently
some people bought some of it last Fall and put it on eBay, where it
brought prices many times what Liberty was asking. They were peddling
some of it on eBay themselves under their Great Wass Island name, but
only a limited selection.

Anyway, it was a good break from this crazy winter.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote in
:

wrote:

Depending upon the time of day, a 2-hour trip that starts in the
center of Boston may only get you to the airport. grin

You remind me why I try to stay on this side of the Piscataqua River.
g On the other hand, on a really good day, the fortunate Bostonian
could visit Methuen, Lynn, and the highlight of the trip, Brockton, in
2 hours.

I prefer to stay West of the Big Muddy - where there's air to breathe and
Lebensraum. grin