Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default THIS GROUP IS DEAD

Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Insolo wrote:
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

No moderators in usenet.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Usenet groups

Randy Replogle wrote:
Jim Insolo wrote:
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

No moderators in usenet.
Randy

Not 100% accurate. There are moderated usegroups, but they have to be set
up that way when they are made.
Todd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:23:28 -0400, Randy Replogle
wrote:

Jim Insolo wrote:
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

No moderators in usenet.
Randy

that actually seems to be correct.
sci.aeronautics is moderated and hasnt seen a post in months and
months. therefore it doesnt exist any more :-)

Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Insolo" wrote:

Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

I think you are posting from supernews which seemed to filter okay. Now I'm
getting easynews via forte and the spam levels have gone up a bit. No where
near 90% but noticable.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle wrote:

Jim Insolo wrote:
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

No moderators in usenet.
Randy

Actually some usenet groups have moderation but bypassing it is fairly
trivial.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
Jim Insolo wrote:
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

No moderators in usenet.
Randy

rec.guns is the only moderated newsgroup I read. A moderated newsgroup
reminds me too much of Catholic school. You raise your hand. You wait to
be recognized. You are recognized at which point you may stand up. You
wait to be told you can speak. You are told you can speak. You ask your
question, or make your statement.

No thanks.

If you would like a moderated forum, they are very easy to start. Start
one.

Steve

There is whitelisted moderation, and the ability to have multiple
moderators, as well. This stops the spammers, and new people are hand
moderated for a while, then whitelisted if they behave.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
news snip
rec.guns is the only moderated newsgroup I read. A moderated newsgroup
reminds me too much of Catholic school. You raise your hand. You wait to be
recognized. You are recognized at which point you may stand up. You wait to
be told you can speak. You are told you can speak. You ask your question, or
make your statement.

Steve

It sounds like you used to misbehave on purpose because you LIKED the nuns to
whack your bottom with a yardstick...I know I did!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
news snip
rec.guns is the only moderated newsgroup I read. A moderated newsgroup
reminds me too much of Catholic school. You raise your hand. You wait to be
recognized. You are recognized at which point you may stand up. You wait to
be told you can speak. You are told you can speak. You ask your question, or
make your statement.

Steve

It sounds like you used to misbehave on purpose because you LIKED the nuns to
whack your bottom with a yardstick...I know I did!

Just be glad it wasn't a metre stick, because it's longer, and would
hurt more. Oh, nevermind! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Insolo" wrote in message
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

Either go to computer classes and learn how to filter or move on. Welcome
to Usenet.

Even if it is 90% spam (as you say) how come the rest of us find the
remaining 10% useful and find ways to navigate the spam?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm? Does mommy butter your toast and pour your milk? At your
age, you really should learn how to do these things for yourself.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Insolo" wrote in message
See what I mean.

No, I don't see what you mean. It seems that you think that everybody here
should do something interesting (or stupid) every day and then discuss it here.
Guess what? It just doesn't happen that way. Feel free to unsubscribe or
contribute your interesting (or stupid) experiences.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:11:21 -0800, Jim Insolo wrote:
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

Killfiles. Use them. Love them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:06:15 -0800, SteveB wrote:

rec.guns is the only moderated newsgroup I read. A moderated newsgroup
reminds me too much of Catholic school. You raise your hand. You wait to
be recognized. You are recognized at which point you may stand up. You
wait to be told you can speak. You are told you can speak. You ask your
question, or make your statement.
No thanks.

More like, in the case of rec.guns, make a couple of useful posts, the
mod overlooks occasional snarky posts. But if you question the value of
moderation in SOME contexts, compare rec.guns with talk.politics.guns,
and compare rec.music.beatles with rec.music.beatles.moderated

If you would like a moderated forum, they are very easy to start. Start
one.

But, don't screw up or the megalomaniacs in usenet.control or whatever
it's called will mock you incessantly. Talk about Napolean Complex in
action.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:14:12 -0800, Jim Insolo wrote:
See what I mean.

SteveB makes valid points. Learn how to killfile. If your newsreader
doesn't support it, get a better one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-10, Jim Insolo wrote:
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

Yes -- there is. It is your killfile which you train as needed.
If your newsreader does not support a good killfile, it is time to get
another newsreader -- or to give up on this newsgroup.

At present, my killfile is killing off somewhere between 50% and
66% of a day's articles each day. That includes both subject-based and
poster-based killing (for the off-topic discussions which I don't care
to bother with), as well as a lot of IP-based killing for several
countries which seem to be contributing nothing but spam.

As for getting an official moderator, there are two problems:

1) You would have to form a new newsgroup, and then kill off this
one. There is no provision for moving a newsgroup from
unmoderated to moderated status or vice versa.

2) Who would you find who would be willing to take on the job?
It would be at least an 8 hour a day job, and nobody is paid to
be a moderator. Are you in a position to be one, and willing to
take on the task? This is assuming that the creation of a
moderated newsgroup would even pass.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:57:59 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
news snip
rec.guns is the only moderated newsgroup I read. A moderated newsgroup
reminds me too much of Catholic school. You raise your hand. You wait to be
recognized. You are recognized at which point you may stand up. You wait to
be told you can speak. You are told you can speak. You ask your question, or
make your statement.

Steve

It sounds like you used to misbehave on purpose because you LIKED the nuns to
whack your bottom with a yardstick...I know I did!

Just be glad it wasn't a metre stick, because it's longer, and would
hurt more. Oh, nevermind! ;-)

My metre stick is 20mm square maple with graduations on all four
faces. All I need to do is bang it on the floor and puppy stops
barking at me from behind the dining table and runs to the door to get
her leash attached and go out and do her business. No! she has never
even been threatened with it, this is just her way of teasing me.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11 Mar 2008 00:44:30 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:11:21 -0800, Jim Insolo wrote:
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

Killfiles. Use them. Love them.

Or find the "ignore thread" button, at least that's what I have in
agent.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
et...

"Jim Insolo" wrote in message
See what I mean.

No, I don't see what you mean. It seems that you think that everybody
here should do something interesting (or stupid) every day and then
discuss it here. Guess what? It just doesn't happen that way. Feel free
to unsubscribe or contribute your interesting (or stupid) experiences.

Hell yeah! Tom does! :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

There is no moderator of this group to decide for you what you should
see or be exposed to. Pick yer pony, take yer ride.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm sure one of these guys who posts here nearly every day on nearly every
metal related subject would be happy to take on the job- clearly they have
proven that time is not an issue.

"DoN. Nichols" It would be at least an 8 hour a day job, and nobody is
paid to
be a moderator. Are you in a position to be one, and willing to
take on the task? This is assuming that the creation of a
moderated newsgroup would even pass.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"Jim Insolo" wrote in message
See what I mean.

No, I don't see what you mean. It seems that you think that everybody here
should do something interesting (or stupid) every day and then discuss it
here. Guess what? It just doesn't happen that way. Feel free to unsubscribe
or contribute your interesting (or stupid) experiences.

Hell yeah! Tom does! :-)

Harold

I figure I'm about 50/50, interesting/stupid...but stupid's FUN, as long as
there's little or no blood!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

Do you know how hard it is today to find a good looking blonde who can rent
a nun's outfit?

Yes, but only if you insist on a real woman (and a real blonde).
Fakes are always cheaper.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Insolo" wrote in message
I'm sure one of these guys who posts here nearly every day on nearly every
metal related subject would be happy to take on the job- clearly they have
proven that time is not an issue.

Well, then, it's a done deal. Watch out for that

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! ! !

............ doorknob .......................

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
Steve

It sounds like you used to misbehave on purpose because you LIKED the nuns
to whack your bottom with a yardstick...I know I did!

Do you know how hard it is today to find a good looking blonde who can rent
a nun's outfit?

Ya need Spitzer's number?

technomaNge
--
Please visit http://www.anysoldier.com
and make a donation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:22:50 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveB" quickly quoth:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...

"SteveB" wrote in message
news snip
rec.guns is the only moderated newsgroup I read. A moderated newsgroup
reminds me too much of Catholic school. You raise your hand. You wait
to be recognized. You are recognized at which point you may stand up.
You wait to be told you can speak. You are told you can speak. You ask
your question, or make your statement.

Steve

It sounds like you used to misbehave on purpose because you LIKED the nuns
to whack your bottom with a yardstick...I know I did!

Do you know how hard it is today to find a good looking blonde who can rent
a nun's outfit?

I hear there are a few out of work in NY today. Speaking of blondes,
I got this from a friend via email yesterday:

--snip--
A blond woman was speeding down the road in her little red
sports car and was pulled over by a woman police officer who
was also a blond.

The blond cop asked to see the blond driver's license. She dug
through her purse and was getting progressively more agitated.
What does it look like?" she finally asked.

The policewoman replied, "It's square and it has your picture on it."

The driver finally found a square mirror in her purse, looked at
it and handed it to the policewoman. "Here it is," she said.

The blond officer looked at the mirror, then handed it back
saying, "Okay, you can go. I didn't realize you were a cop."
--snip--

and, while I'm here with the jokes, a biker story: (metal content)

--snip--
A Biker Story
A biker is riding by the zoo, when he sees a little girl leaning into
the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her
jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes
of her screaming parents. The biker jumps off his bike, runs to the
cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch.

Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl,
and the biker takes her to her terrified parents, who thank him
endlessly.

A reporter has seen the whole scene, and addressing the biker, says,
"Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I saw a man do in my
whole life. "

"Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw
this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right. "

"Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you
know, and tomorrow's papers will have this on the first page. What
motorcycle do you ride?

"A Harley Davidson."

The journalist leaves. The following morning the biker buys the
paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on
first page:

BIKER GANG MEMBER ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH.

--snip--

--
It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.
-- Garrison Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
t...

. net...

"Jim Insolo" wrote in message
See what I mean.

No, I don't see what you mean. It seems that you think that everybody
here should do something interesting (or stupid) every day and then
discuss it here. Guess what? It just doesn't happen that way. Feel
free to unsubscribe or contribute your interesting (or stupid)
experiences.

Hell yeah! Tom does! :-)

Harold

I figure I'm about 50/50, interesting/stupid...but stupid's FUN, as long
as there's little or no blood!!!

Hey---you talkiname? :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"technomaNge" wrote in message
. ..
SteveB wrote:
Steve
It sounds like you used to misbehave on purpose because you LIKED the
nuns
to whack your bottom with a yardstick...I know I did!

Do you know how hard it is today to find a good looking blonde who can
rent
a nun's outfit?

Ya need Spitzer's number?

He won't answer the phone. I wanted to know what you get for $5,500. My wife
thinks she's undercharging me.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

There is no moderator of this group to decide for you what you should
see or be exposed to. Pick yer pony, take yer ride.

Yeah Don, but here it's "Hobson's choice", but I stick around anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson's_choice

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

There is no moderator of this group to decide for you what you should
see or be exposed to. Pick yer pony, take yer ride.

Yeah Don, but here it's "Hobson's choice", but I stick around anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson's_choice

Jeff

It isn't Hobson's choice at all. There are moderated metalworking
newsgroups. That's where Jim Rozen went.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

There is no moderator of this group to decide for you what you should
see or be exposed to. Pick yer pony, take yer ride.

Yeah Don, but here it's "Hobson's choice", but I stick around anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson's_choice

Jeff

It isn't Hobson's choice at all. There are moderated metalworking
newsgroups. That's where Jim Rozen went.

I know that. My metaphore was a bit sloppy. By "here" I meant on "this"
newsgroup where the next new post you open might turn out to be spam
or a stupid troll.

The Wikipedia link I posted had an apostrophy in it which my newsreader
didn't like and took me to just the name "Hobson" when I clicked on it.
Anyone reading this who doesn't already know the derivation of that term
and would like to learn it should try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/ymogru

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

New to group John B Woodworking 1 August 7th 06 06:11 PM
New to group [email protected] Woodworking 2 August 7th 06 12:36 PM
New to group Lew Hodgett Woodworking 1 August 7th 06 06:12 AM
New to group charlie b Woodworking 0 August 7th 06 06:08 AM
Panasonic G520 mobile phone - dead battery or dead phone? Just Allan Electronics Repair 0 July 18th 05 01:27 PM