Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is it? CCXXII

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

"DanG" wrote

1239 is an early model of can opener. It always amazes me that the tin
can was quite common for many years before the first can opener was
invented.

That is probably because at that time almost everybody carried a knife of
some type. The knives were the ultimate utility tool for countless
generations, until they became politically incorrect. Or many other
tools/modern conveniences rendered their general utility obsolete.

Can opener?
http://images.google.com/images?q=p38+can+opener&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYA&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

I still have - and use - my P-38 - from my last case of C-Rats in RVN.
It still works great!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Can opener?
http://images.google.com/images?q=p38+can+opener&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYA&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

I still have - and use - my P-38 - from my last case of C-Rats in RVN.
It still works great!

The hole in mine finally wore to the point it broke and fell off my
key ring. OTOH, a gernade ring was probably too big for it, anyway.

You're right about the P38, though. It, and the classic Swingaway
manual can opener are the two best I've ever used. Mine was from cold
weather survival training in Alaska, in the '70s. Once you got the can
open, you had to thaw it out before you could eat whatever was inside.
Except the crackers. A slight breeze, and they turned to dust and blew
away.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 00:21:38 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Can opener?
http://images.google.com/images?q=p38+can+opener&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYA&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

I still have - and use - my P-38 - from my last case of C-Rats in RVN.
It still works great!

The hole in mine finally wore to the point it broke and fell off my
key ring. OTOH, a gernade ring was probably too big for it, anyway.

You're right about the P38, though. It, and the classic Swingaway
manual can opener are the two best I've ever used. Mine was from cold
weather survival training in Alaska, in the '70s. Once you got the can
open, you had to thaw it out before you could eat whatever was inside.
Except the crackers. A slight breeze, and they turned to dust and blew
away.

during my time as an army mapping surveyor I remember just 4 pieces of
kit that worked perfectly.
the P38 can opener was the premier one.
then there was the prismatic compass.
the 1917 issue heliograph.
the Wild T2-56 theodolite.
and the dress belt buckle.

the most useless was the army pocket knife but to be honest it was
totally reliably blunt :-) ...even after an hour of sharpening :-) :-)

that little can opener though. even the wife loved them.
Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Which knife are you talking about? The army issue Camillus knife I
had would shave the threads off a 1/4" bolt. A guy who worked in the
parachute repair shop at Ft.Rucker used the same knife to cut away
damaged nylon rigging, all day long. He said a knife lasted a little
over a year, with all the abuse he gave it.

The same knife was sold as an 'Electricians knife' by Xcelite, Klien
and several other companies. I bought my first one for $1.25 when I was
12, on a field trip while in Junior High school. the last one I found
was over $20. I had over a dozen of them stolen from me, over the
years. Now, Camillus is out of business.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMILLUS-2-Bladed-Electricians-Knife-USA-NICE_W0QQitemZ220209788054QQihZ012QQcategoryZ88912 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
has a picture of one.

that little can opener though. even the wife loved them.
Stealth Pilot

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

no that little camilus is a decent knife. btw my favourite these days
is the swiss army tinker.

the australian army had some abortion of a thing. all soft stainless
steel. two blades, no screwdrivers and a useless fid on the back face.
utter rubbish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:

no that little camilus is a decent knife. btw my favourite these days
is the swiss army tinker.

the australian army had some abortion of a thing. all soft stainless
steel. two blades, no screwdrivers and a useless fid on the back face.
utter rubbish.

Some of us rode the military shuttle to Fairbanks one day and went to
the one decent sized department store in town to look at knives. The
salesman asked what we already had. One of the guys pulls out his shiny
new Buck knife, and I pulled out my Camilus electrician's knife. He
smiled and said, Nice knife. He reached into the showcase and pulled out
a similar knife, and a 12" long, 1/4" packing bolt from some furniture
shipment and proceeded to shave long thin strands of steel, then asked
the guy if he wanted ot try it with his buck knife. He refused, and
hurried out of the store.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!