Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CONE FROM STAINLESS STEEL

What is the best way to make a cone from 18 gauge stainless steel? I need it
to be 23" diameter one end, 16" diameter the other end, 18" long.
Can a template from cardboard or somethimg be made, how would I go about it?
Will be tig welded at the seam.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted wrote:
What is the best way to make a cone from 18 gauge stainless steel? I need it
to be 23" diameter one end, 16" diameter the other end, 18" long.
Can a template from cardboard or somethimg be made, how would I go about it?
Will be tig welded at the seam.

To be pedantic, and it's 5:30 and I haven't had
my pedantic ticket punched yet, what you really
want is the frustum of a cone.

Try this...

http://downloads.cnet.co.uk/0,39100207,39188833s,00.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ted" wrote in message
What is the best way to make a cone from 18 gauge stainless steel? I need
it to be 23" diameter one end, 16" diameter the other end, 18" long.
Can a template from cardboard or somethimg be made, how would I go about
it?
Will be tig welded at the seam.

How accurate does it have to be, Tim? Is it a cone for appearance's sake, or
some basic function, or does it have to precisely fit into or onto something
else?

Laying it out can be done by drawing two half-circles on cardboard and
transferring the shape. Or, if you have a beam compass that will stretch to
46", you can lay it out directly on the stainless. With good practice you
probably can get your shape accurate enough for most uses that way. And, for
one-time use, you can make a temporary beam compass out of a piece of wood
lath and a couple of nails.

The tough part with stainless is, first, cutting it so it doesn't warp; and
then bending it so it makes a smooth shape. It will try hard to defeat you.
d8-)

I have some tricks I use for jobs like that but others here probably have
better solutions. Unless you want a lumpy mess, don't cut it with tin snips.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ted" wrote in message
What is the best way to make a cone from 18 gauge stainless steel? I need
it to be 23" diameter one end, 16" diameter the other end, 18" long.
Can a template from cardboard or somethimg be made, how would I go about
it?
Will be tig welded at the seam.

Free Download at this site

http://www.pulserate.com/

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/
Download cone.zip (ConeCalc) and have at it.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ted wrote:

What is the best way to make a cone from 18 gauge stainless steel? I need it
to be 23" diameter one end, 16" diameter the other end, 18" long.
Can a template from cardboard or somethimg be made, how would I go about it?
Will be tig welded at the seam.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/
Download cone.zip (ConeCalc) and have at it.
JR

Thanks, That is exactly what I need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/
Download cone.zip (ConeCalc) and have at it.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Good ole Marve Strikes again. He has a million of em.
...lew...

Stainless steel nuts galling on stainless steel bolts spaco Metalworking 15 April 12th 06 07:02 PM
stainless steel kklein Metalworking 7 September 5th 04 05:54 AM
Appliances-Brushed steel Vs Stainless steel DIY Novice UK diy 7 August 24th 04 07:44 PM
MIG and 304 stainless steel Carl Ijames Metalworking 1 October 2nd 03 05:26 AM
Stainless Steel Ricardo Metalworking 4 August 9th 03 04:07 AM