Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default MILLER THUNDERBOLT receptacles wanted

I am looking for a 'number' of Miller Thunderbolt round receptacles in any
colors.

Yes, I can buy new but I need quite a few for a project that isn't worth new
prices.

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:56:21 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I am looking for a 'number' of Miller Thunderbolt round receptacles in any
colors.

Yes, I can buy new but I need quite a few for a project that isn't worth new
prices.

What 'receptacles' are you looking for - that's a rather vague
description - the ones for the welding leads on the control panel?

You might have better luck if you can ID them by OE manufacturer and
size or style, say 'Tweco 200-amp' or such. Most of them are generic,
with exceptions.

And what are you doing with them? They used to use live-front pin
and socket connectors like that all the time on stage lighting dimmer
control and patch bays, even in schools - then they decided it was
unsafe, and banned their use on most Class 1 "high-voltage" uses.

(They still get used on portable theatrical lighting power systems,
but they only get touched by trained electricians and are constantly
supervised by same whenever energized.)

Welding is Class 2 "low-voltage", in the eyes of most electrical
codes anything under 50V Open Circuit allegedly is "intrinsically
safe". It's a nice fiction, you keep right on believing that...

You still have to be careful with DC welding current power systems,
but not quite as careful as with higher voltages. It won't actively
jump out and bite you, but you still don't want to be creating shorts
on purpose. And TIG welding current with AC "high frequency" imposed
on it as an arc-starter WILL zap you but good if you get bit.

And where are you? There are local surplus aerospace and electrical
stores all over that would have used and "New Old Stock" connectors
like that, but this is an item you'll have to go in and 'put your
hands on' to make sure it will work for your application.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:44:17 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

[...]

Or buy some brass stock and a #1 MT reamer and make something very
close for pennies

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce,

Yes, they are the front panel sockets/receptacles on the Miller Thunderbolt.

I have several a.c. welders that I want to make into d.c., hence, the extra
sockets.

I am in central Texas.

I appreciate your additional concern about my safety.

As an additional use for the sockets, I thought that I would occasionally do
an electro-catharsis by plugging the cathode/negative into my navel and the
anode/positive in the nether regions and see if I couldn't do a 'colonic'.

j/b

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner,

That is a good idea. However, I thought those sockets were somewhat
tapered. No matter, as I could taper them.

j/b

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:02:19 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Gunner,

That is a good idea. However, I thought those sockets were somewhat
tapered. No matter, as I could taper them.

j/b

1MT is tapered.

Gunner

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gotcha, Thanks.

j/b

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:02:19 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Gunner,

That is a good idea. However, I thought those sockets were somewhat
tapered. No matter, as I could taper them.

j/b

1MT is tapered.

Gunner

. ..
wrote:

[...]

miller thunderbolt AC/DC-any better on thin stuff? dave Metalworking 3 February 3rd 08 04:05 AM
Kitchen receptacles Sammy bin Snoozin Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 September 23rd 07 06:50 PM
Switch/Receptacles? Toller Home Repair 5 August 22nd 07 05:03 AM
Drywall & Receptacles Kitep Home Repair 20 June 29th 07 08:45 PM
Weak Receptacles-Cause? CooSer Home Repair 13 March 11th 04 11:28 PM