Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Paint filling for engraving on ABS plastic?

Which paint(s) can be used to fill engraved ABS plastic keys? The
paint should withstand frequent touching by fingers.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Use acrylic paints.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Usenet User wrote:
Which paint(s) can be used to fill engraved ABS plastic keys? The
paint should withstand frequent touching by fingers.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A better stationary store will sell paint sticks. These are solid paint
that you rub into the engraved area and then wipe the surface clean.

See : http://www.durablesupply.com/saksolpainst.html as an example.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Usenet User" wrote in message
Which paint(s) can be used to fill engraved ABS plastic keys? The
paint should withstand frequent touching by fingers.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:04:35 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

A better stationary store will sell paint sticks. These are solid paint
that you rub into the engraved area and then wipe the surface clean.

See : http://www.durablesupply.com/saksolpainst.html as an example.

The paint can be wiped off, but will it stay in the groovies? Does it
harden after some time?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Isn't it too fragile?

Thanks!

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:32:35 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Use acrylic paints.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Usenet User wrote:
Which paint(s) can be used to fill engraved ABS plastic keys? The
paint should withstand frequent touching by fingers.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can use a clear coat coating that hardens nicely.

My wife painted the leo flooring in the kitchen, over coated it
with clear coat and after two days we could walk on it.
Then for years it stood up and was washed.

She used two layers.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Usenet User wrote:
Isn't it too fragile?

Thanks!

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:32:35 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Use acrylic paints.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Usenet User wrote:
Which paint(s) can be used to fill engraved ABS plastic keys? The
paint should withstand frequent touching by fingers.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A better stationary store will sell paint sticks. These are solid paint
that you rub into the engraved area and then wipe the surface clean.

See : http://www.durablesupply.com/saksolpainst.html as an example.

The paint can be wiped off, but will it stay in the groovies? Does it
harden after some time?

Thanks!

Yes it hardens just like regular paint. I am a locksmith and I use it
regularly on old safe dials so it is easier to see the numbers.

I have also used it on machine tool dials with good results.

The trick is that when you rub it in to the lines you get a good thick layer
of paint imbedded. A little does wipe off when you wipe the high spots but
if you wrap the rag firmly around your finger and wipe across the lines with
a light touch plenty stays inside.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:24:18 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Martin H. Eastburn" quickly quoth:

You can use a clear coat coating that hardens nicely.

My wife painted the leo flooring in the kitchen, over coated it
with clear coat and after two days we could walk on it.
Then for years it stood up and was washed.

She used two layers.

Leo flooring? Two layers of law enforcement officers?
That's gotta hurt.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger Shoaf wrote:
A better stationary store will sell paint sticks. These are solid paint
that you rub into the engraved area and then wipe the surface clean.

See : http://www.durablesupply.com/saksolpainst.html as an example.

How fast does it dry? Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:12:43 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

A better stationary store will sell paint sticks. These are solid paint
that you rub into the engraved area and then wipe the surface clean.

See : http://www.durablesupply.com/saksolpainst.html as an example.

The paint can be wiped off, but will it stay in the groovies? Does it
harden after some time?

Thanks!

Yes it hardens just like regular paint. I am a locksmith and I use it
regularly on old safe dials so it is easier to see the numbers.

I have also used it on machine tool dials with good results.

The trick is that when you rub it in to the lines you get a good thick layer
of paint imbedded. A little does wipe off when you wipe the high spots but
if you wrap the rag firmly around your finger and wipe across the lines with
a light touch plenty stays inside.

Sounds great I am familiar with Sakura products, but I didn't know
they make these. Thank you, Roger!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was planning to avoid clear coat, if possible. But thanks anyway!

Usenet User wrote:
Isn't it too fragile?

Thanks!

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:32:35 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Use acrylic paints.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Usenet User wrote:
Which paint(s) can be used to fill engraved ABS plastic keys? The
paint should withstand frequent touching by fingers.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:24:18 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Martin H. Eastburn" quickly quoth:

You can use a clear coat coating that hardens nicely.

My wife painted the leo flooring in the kitchen, over coated it
with clear coat and after two days we could walk on it.
Then for years it stood up and was washed.

She used two layers.

Leo flooring? Two layers of law enforcement officers?
That's gotta hurt.

That depends on how many donuts they've had! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida