Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PICTURES -- Repainted Famco 3R Arbor Press

Pictures and some details are here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...R-Arbor-Press/

I really like the red handle, it is very convenient to grab. Add a
nice feel to this whole thing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 01:04:24 -0600, Ignoramus25173
wrote:

Pictures and some details are here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...R-Arbor-Press/

I really like the red handle, it is very convenient to grab. Add a
nice feel to this whole thing.

And Ill bet it works eversomuch better with a handle!

Wheres the yellow highlights/pinstripes?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25173 wrote:

Pictures and some details are here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...R-Arbor-Press/

I really like the red handle, it is very convenient to grab. Add a
nice feel to this whole thing.

Good score, Igor. I got lucky once at Boeing Surplus, got a nice Dake ratcheting
arbor press with rotating platen, in good shape. Didn't need new paint, had a
couple of Boeing Machinist stickers on it which I left on. I use the arbor press
probably every 8-10 weeks year in and year out.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pictures and some details are here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...R-Arbor-Press/

I really like the red handle, it is very convenient to grab. Add a
nice feel to this whole thing.

And Ill bet it works eversomuch better with a handle!

Wheres the yellow highlights/pinstripes?

Actually, it is a lot nicer with a handle. I was thinking about some
semi-naked women stickers to put on the press.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-03, Grant Erwin wrote:
Ignoramus25173 wrote:

Pictures and some details are here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...R-Arbor-Press/

I really like the red handle, it is very convenient to grab. Add a
nice feel to this whole thing.

Good score, Igor. I got lucky once at Boeing Surplus, got a nice Dake ratcheting
arbor press with rotating platen, in good shape. Didn't need new paint, had a
couple of Boeing Machinist stickers on it which I left on. I use the arbor press
probably every 8-10 weeks year in and year out.

Grant, thanks. Could you tell me what exactly do you use it for. I
have no experience using one and, I am sure, am missing a lot of
useful ideas on what I can do with a press like this.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 3, 4:20 am, Ignoramus32544 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
On 2008-03-03, Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus25173 wrote:

Pictures and some details are here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...R-Arbor-Press/

I really like the red handle, it is very convenient to grab. Add a
nice feel to this whole thing.

Good score, Igor. I got lucky once at Boeing Surplus, got a nice Dake ratcheting
arbor press with rotating platen, in good shape. Didn't need new paint, had a
couple of Boeing Machinist stickers on it which I left on. I use the arbor press
probably every 8-10 weeks year in and year out.

Grant, thanks. Could you tell me what exactly do you use it for. I
have no experience using one and, I am sure, am missing a lot of
useful ideas on what I can do with a press like this.

Looks nice, now, except you need to remove all the paint in the work
area. You can't place tooling plates or work pieces on the paint. Just
sand it off and put a little oil on the metal.

We use one quite often at work to press ribbon connectors, press PEM
nuts into circuit boards and press-in connectors into circuit boards.
Sometimes our customers come and use one to do the same on prototype
circuit boards.

You will need to make some tool holders to fit the end of the ram. I
found some scrap square steel tube that would fit over the end of the
ram. Cut into 1" lengths and debur. I think I put them in the lathe,
using a 4-jaw chuck and squared up the ends. Then drill and tap one
side to take a thumb screw to clamp the holder to the ram.

Then cut and fit bottom plates to the holders and braze them in place.
Need to be sure the plates are square to the sides of the holder. The
press ram will push against the bottom plate and needs a nice fit.
When you need to make a custom tool, you can drill and tap the bottom
plate to take a threaded pin, or whatever you need.

Some tool holders have a piece of steel welded across the tool holder,
rahter than a bottom plate, to make a tool for a particular size or
shape of connector. The ribbon connector tool is this way. The PEM nut
tool is made on a lathe and then screwed into the tool holder.

I am sure you will find many uses for the press. Just don't use a pipe
extension on the handle to get more leverage!

Good luck,

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-03, wrote:
Looks nice, now, except you need to remove all the paint in the work
area. You can't place tooling plates or work pieces on the paint. Just
sand it off and put a little oil on the metal.

OK, did not know that, but that sounds right to me. Thanks.

We use one quite often at work to press ribbon connectors, press PEM
nuts into circuit boards and press-in connectors into circuit boards.
Sometimes our customers come and use one to do the same on prototype
circuit boards.

You will need to make some tool holders to fit the end of the ram.

It seems to have some sort of threading inside.

I found some scrap square steel tube that would fit over the end of
the ram. Cut into 1" lengths and debur. I think I put them in the
lathe, using a 4-jaw chuck and squared up the ends. Then drill and
tap one side to take a thumb screw to clamp the holder to the ram.

Then cut and fit bottom plates to the holders and braze them in place.
Need to be sure the plates are square to the sides of the holder. The
press ram will push against the bottom plate and needs a nice fit.
When you need to make a custom tool, you can drill and tap the bottom
plate to take a threaded pin, or whatever you need.

I will check what threading it has, as I said it is threaded. I may be
able to get away with using what I have in it now.

I will need to find a bottom plate also.

I am sure you will find many uses for the press. Just don't use a pipe
extension on the handle to get more leverage!

Yes... The existing handle, with the red handle that I added, ought to
be long enough.

Another question concerns mounting. I want to bolt it to the same
moving work table that it is on now.

Am I correct in thinking that it needs to be mounted with its "throat"
opening forward of the table? That is, its base should not be 100% on
the table, but the front part needs to "hang" in front? That would let
me press long things out of whatever they are stuck in. Right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-03, Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus25173 wrote:

Pictures and some details are here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...R-Arbor-Press/

I really like the red handle, it is very convenient to grab. Add a
nice feel to this whole thing.

Good score, Igor. I got lucky once at Boeing Surplus, got a nice Dake ratcheting
arbor press with rotating platen, in good shape. Didn't need new paint, had a
couple of Boeing Machinist stickers on it which I left on. I use the arbor press
probably every 8-10 weeks year in and year out.

Grant, thanks. Could you tell me what exactly do you use it for. I
have no experience using one and, I am sure, am missing a lot of
useful ideas on what I can do with a press like this.

Off the top of my head:

pressing arbors into lathe workpieces
disassembling many tight assemblies
removing & installing bearings
pressing a ball through an undersized hole (to dimple it)
pressing two balls pinched between a short copper tube (to bellmouth the ends)
pressing pins into reamed press-fit holes

It's kind of hard to remember all the uses. Put it in your shop and keep track
of how you use yours for a year and post back here, wouldya? You will probably
come up with some stuff I didn't think of.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 06:19:32 -0600, Ignoramus32544

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 3, 6:42 am, Ignoramus32544 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
On 2008-03-03, wrote:

Another question concerns mounting. I want to bolt it to the same
moving work table that it is on now.

Am I correct in thinking that it needs to be mounted with its "throat"
opening forward of the table? That is, its base should not be 100% on
the table, but the front part needs to "hang" in front? That would let
me press long things out of whatever they are stuck in. Right?

Actually, no. Kind of depends on what you want to use it for and how
heavy the table is. As you pull the handle, the press will want to
follow it and tip the table. So, ideally the tip of the press handle
will be just above the edge of the table when you apply maximum
pressure.

A table bolted to a wall, or with feet bolted to a concrete floor will
work best. Then the press can be bolted where ever you want on the
table.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-03, Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus25173 wrote:

[...]

I will. Another use I saw suggested was to use it for letter/number
stamps. I will try this as soon as I get some time to do it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32544 wrote:

Grant, thanks. Could you tell me what exactly do you use it for. I
have no experience using one and, I am sure, am missing a lot of
useful ideas on what I can do with a press like this.

Pushing key way broaches though couplers is always a favorite.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-03, wrote:

Another question concerns mounting. I want to bolt it to the same
moving work table that it is on now.

Am I correct in thinking that it needs to be mounted with its "throat"
opening forward of the table? That is, its base should not be 100% on
the table, but the front part needs to "hang" in front? That would let
me press long things out of whatever they are stuck in. Right?

Actually, no. Kind of depends on what you want to use it for and how
heavy the table is. As you pull the handle, the press will want to
follow it and tip the table. So, ideally the tip of the press handle
will be just above the edge of the table when you apply maximum
pressure.

The table is very heavy, it will not tip if I pull down on the handle
of the bolted down press. Even without my stuff, it weighs, perhaps,
300 lbs. It is very heavy. The steel top is 1/4" steel.

You ABSOLUTELY want the throat opening off the edge of the table! Think
of an axle with a bearing on it, and you want to press off the bearing ..

Grant

I cheat on my bench. I uses some 2" square tube to make a few sockets on
the front and corners of the bench. They mate up to mounting plates
under different tools. Arbor press, small stake anvils, two different
vices, grinder mount and a few other items that don't get used all the
time. They get stored on a rolling cart with notches for the tubes. Just
pull up the tool and set it in place. Then flip the lock under the bench
into place and it's secure. Works nice for those tools you don't use
daily and keeps the bench clear. I also have a small overhead trolley
lift that I can use to change out the heavy tools OR lift heavy items
onto the bench. (Makes working on engines and other bulky things a snap)

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.www.rittercnc.com/metalwo...ss-116606-.htm
:
Ignoramus32544 wrote:

I was thinking about some
semi-naked women stickers to put on the press.

LOL, I don't believe you'd want the distraction due to safety concerns!
D~

Delivered via http://www.rittercnc.com/
Metalworking Forums
rec.crafts.metalworking - 109992 messages and counting!