DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Brushing aluminum? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/235768-brushing-aluminum.html)

John Doe March 1st 08 06:05 PM

Brushing aluminum?

For a small surface (2" x 2") area course roughening of aluminum.

The steel brush drill attachment I'm using requires pressing hard to
produce significant scratch marks. Is there a particular type of
steel brush that will easily roughen aluminum?

Thanks.

Tove Momerathsson[_2_] March 1st 08 08:23 PM

Brushing aluminum?

John Doe wrote:
For a small surface (2" x 2") area course roughening of aluminum.

The steel brush drill attachment I'm using requires pressing hard to
produce significant scratch marks. Is there a particular type of
steel brush that will easily roughen aluminum?

Try coarse 40-grit sandpaper and a little hand-held oscillating sander.

Tove

Paul March 1st 08 08:28 PM

Brushing aluminum?

John Doe wrote:
For a small surface (2" x 2") area course roughening of aluminum.

The steel brush drill attachment I'm using requires pressing hard to
produce significant scratch marks. Is there a particular type of
steel brush that will easily roughen aluminum?

Thanks.

Usually the 'brushed aluminum' finish is imparted with a wide belt
sander. At least thats how the panel finishing firm I used to deal with
did it.

For something the size you want to do I'd try a hand belt sander, if you
don't have a bench type machine wide enough.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

[email protected] March 2nd 08 01:41 AM

Brushing aluminum?

On Mar 1, 10:05 am, John Doe wrote:
For a small surface (2" x 2") area course roughening of aluminum.

The steel brush drill attachment I'm using requires pressing hard to
produce significant scratch marks. Is there a particular type of
steel brush that will easily roughen aluminum?

Thanks.

Don't use a steel brush. The steel bristles will leave small amounts
of iron in the aluminum and corrosion will set in shortly. Iron and
aluminum don't get along well at all.
Some form of grit (not emery; it contains iron in its makeup) is
better. Aluminum oxide is best, I'd think.

Dan

John Doe March 2nd 08 02:27 AM

Brushing aluminum?

wrote:

On Mar 1, 10:05 am, John Doe wrote:
For a small surface (2" x 2") area course roughening of aluminum.

The steel brush drill attachment I'm using requires pressing hard
to produce significant scratch marks. Is there a particular type
of steel brush that will easily roughen aluminum?

Don't use a steel brush. The steel bristles will leave small
amounts of iron in the aluminum and corrosion will set in
shortly. Iron and aluminum don't get along well at all. Some form
of grit (not emery; it contains iron in its makeup) is better.
Aluminum oxide is best, I'd think.

Dan

Does that corrosion require interaction with the environment? I have
read something like that here before about steel on aluminum
corrosion, and mentioned it to a friend who then posed that
question. Thanks.

[email protected] March 2nd 08 05:12 AM

Brushing aluminum?

On Mar 1, 6:27 pm, John Doe wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 1, 10:05 am, John Doe wrote:
For a small surface (2" x 2") area course roughening of aluminum.

The steel brush drill attachment I'm using requires pressing hard
to produce significant scratch marks. Is there a particular type
of steel brush that will easily roughen aluminum?
Don't use a steel brush. The steel bristles will leave small
amounts of iron in the aluminum and corrosion will set in
shortly. Iron and aluminum don't get along well at all. Some form
of grit (not emery; it contains iron in its makeup) is better.
Aluminum oxide is best, I'd think.

Dan

Does that corrosion require interaction with the environment? I have
read something like that here before about steel on aluminum
corrosion, and mentioned it to a friend who then posed that
question. Thanks.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=OWDg...I9hmp50I&hl=en

Dan

bear March 3rd 08 03:51 AM

Brushing aluminum?

John Doe wrote:
For a small surface (2" x 2") area course roughening of aluminum.

The steel brush drill attachment I'm using requires pressing hard to
produce significant scratch marks. Is there a particular type of
steel brush that will easily roughen aluminum?

Thanks.

Nyet!

What you want is a "scotchbrite" type wheel!
Other companies make similar stuff... it is an abrasive imbedded
synthetic wheel.
They also make it in pads that are similar to what you buy in the
store to clean pots (they're "plastic"??) but much more abrasive
and intended for metal work.
You want one that is fairly abrasive to get good "brush marks"

The alternative is an aluminum oxide paper, about 120 grit and some
oil, and smooth hand action - that's ok for doing just a little bit.
clean the oil off when ur done. If ur not finishing it with a clear
coat or anodize, you might want to use a heavier grit and then etch
it slightly with NaOH (lye) or "oven cleaner" which will impart a
slightly duller surface, but more immune to finger prints making
permanent marks on it...

You do NOT want a hand held belt sander (they gouge the work).

The way it is done in production is either the "scotchbrite" stuff
or a "Stroke Sander" rig... that one uses a belt...

Look at McMaster Carr online catalog, they show this stuff...

_-_-bear