Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forklift battery info

Here's a little info I got from trying to find out info on my
forklift. My battery part number is stamped on one of the lead
crossbars near the positve terminal. The numbers stamped into the
side of the steel case (BB1 HL149) are meaningless I guess.

My P/N is 18 7523, which was explained to me as this, first two
numbers "18" indicate the number of cells. IE 18 cells = 36 volts.
Last two numbers are the number of plates in the battery, "23" Each
cell will start and end with a negative plate, so the number of
negative plates will always be an even number and one more than
positve plates. This means my battery will have 12 negative plates
and 11 positve plates in each cell. The "75" number is AMP/HR rating
of each positve plate. 11 plates times 75a/H per plate gives me a
battery of 825 A/Hr. total capacity.

Which seems to make sense beacuse there is a 825 stamped right under
the 18 7523.

You then need a charger rated to match the battery A/Hr rating so you
can charge the battery in 8 hours, give it 8 hours cool down and then
get an 8 hour work shift out of it.

This lift will see only occasinal use so I'm not worried about
matching up a charger.

Hope someone finds this trivia useful.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy writes:

You then need a charger rated to match the battery A/Hr rating so you
can charge the battery in 8 hours, give it 8 hours cool down and then
get an 8 hour work shift out of it.

Total nominal charge of 825 AH * 36 volts = 30 KWH. In 8 hours that
proportions to a 3.7 KW charger. Thus the whopping big 3-phase chargers
you see for these things. You're not gonna charge this thing from a 120VAC
outlet, at least not quickly.

Lead price today: $1.52/lb.

Ah, electric vehicles. A toxic, hazardous "fuel tank" that costs $1000s,
weighs tons, holds the energy equivalent of a few gallons of gasoline,
takes all day to refill from a pump that itself costs more $1000s, and
wears out in a few years.

You can automatically dismiss as fools any greens promoting electric
vehicles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Ah, electric vehicles. A toxic, hazardous "fuel tank" that costs $1000s,
weighs tons, holds the energy equivalent of a few gallons of gasoline,
takes all day to refill from a pump that itself costs more $1000s, and
wears out in a few years.

You can automatically dismiss as fools any greens promoting electric
vehicles.

There is always hydrogen fuel cells. A city in CA has been running a
fleet of them and averaging over $50/mile.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..

Total nominal charge of 825 AH * 36 volts = 30 KWH.
Ah, electric vehicles. A toxic, hazardous "fuel tank" that costs $1000s,
weighs tons, holds the energy equivalent of a few gallons of gasoline,

A quick calculation on the back of a used envelope tells me that 30 KWH is
actually less than the energy equivalent of ONE gallon of gasoline. Now you
know why it is so damn hard to build a practical electric car.

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Ah, electric vehicles. A toxic, hazardous "fuel tank" that costs

$1000s,
weighs tons, holds the energy equivalent of a few gallons of gasoline,
takes all day to refill from a pump that itself costs more $1000s, and
wears out in a few years.

You can automatically dismiss as fools any greens promoting electric
vehicles.

There is always hydrogen fuel cells. A city in CA has been running a
fleet of them and averaging over $50/mile.

$50 a mile? If an 80,000 lb. semi can travel 7 miles on diesel at $4 a
gallon that be about 57¢ a mile.

Hydrogen might be a great fuel, but how much would it cost to build hydrogen
filling stations all across the country, and unless we build a whole lot of
nuclear power plants, where are we going to get the power to make all of the
hydrogen?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:31:33 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Roger Shoaf" quickly quoth:

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .

There is always hydrogen fuel cells. A city in CA has been running a
fleet of them and averaging over $50/mile.

That ain't cheap! I thought you were mistaken, but see you're not:
http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/02/...en-fuel-c.html

$50 a mile? If an 80,000 lb. semi can travel 7 miles on diesel at $4 a
gallon that be about 57¢ a mile.

Hydrogen might be a great fuel, but how much would it cost to build hydrogen
filling stations all across the country, and unless we build a whole lot of
nuclear power plants, where are we going to get the power to make all of the
hydrogen?

We need the nuke power to replace that extremely dirty coal we're now
burning.

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger Shoaf writes:

Hydrogen might be a great fuel, ...

Yes, as a hydrocarbon, not as the element.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy,
I believe your arithmatic is faulty. In your battery description, you add
your cell amp/hr rating and the cells are arranged in series. That is
incorrect. Cell amp/hr ratings are only additive when placed in parallel. So
in your case, the entire 36V battery has a 75 Amp/hr rating, which makes
much more sense as these batteries are designed for deep discharge, use
thicker plates and a lower plate surface area. Consequently, the charge rate
should not exceed 10% of its Amp/hr rating or 7.5 Amps.
Steve

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Randy,
I believe your arithmatic is faulty. In your battery description, you add
your cell amp/hr rating and the cells are arranged in series. That is
incorrect. Cell amp/hr ratings are only additive when placed in parallel.
So in your case, the entire 36V battery has a 75 Amp/hr rating, which
makes much more sense as these batteries are designed for deep discharge,
use thicker plates and a lower plate surface area. Consequently, the
charge rate should not exceed 10% of its Amp/hr rating or 7.5 Amps.
Steve

He's talking about amp hours per plate. The 825 sounds quite
close for for a fork lift battery although many are much larger.

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, that is my point, There is one positive and one negative plate per
cell. They are connected in series, 2 Volts per cell. In series, voltage is
additive, not amp/hrs. In parallel, the amp/hrs are additive not the
voltage. Please do not confuse the cold start amp rating with amp/hrs, they
are completely different.
Steve

. ..

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:30:52 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:
I normally do not top post but as you did .....

Each cell has 11 plates in PARALELL. The AH of each cell is therefore
11 x 75 = 825AH 18 CELLS in series is 36v at 825AH

Richard

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard Edwards" wrote in
message ...
wrote:
I normally do not top post but as you did .....

Each cell has 11 plates in PARALELL. The AH of each cell is therefore
11 x 75 = 825AH 18 CELLS in series is 36v at 825AH

Steve must not have understood the oringinal post about the
number of plated per cell.

Richard
Yes, that is my point, There is one positive and one negative plate per
cell. They are connected in series, 2 Volts per cell. In series, voltage
is
additive, not amp/hrs. In parallel, the amp/hrs are additive not the
voltage. Please do not confuse the cold start amp rating with amp/hrs,
they
are completely different.
Steve

a...

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve apologizes. Steve did misunderstand.

news:mJmdnYAL3eSTvVfanZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@wightman. ca...

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Yes, that is my point, There is one positive and one negative plate per
cell. They are connected in series, 2 Volts per cell. In series, voltage is
additive, not amp/hrs. In parallel, the amp/hrs are additive not the
voltage. Please do not confuse the cold start amp rating with amp/hrs, they
are completely different.
Steve

A whole lot more than 2 plates per cell, Bucko!!!

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:
Here's a little info I got from trying to find out info on my
forklift. My battery part number is stamped on one of the lead
crossbars near the positve terminal. The numbers stamped into the
side of the steel case (BB1 HL149) are meaningless I guess.

My P/N is 18 7523, which was explained to me as this, first two
numbers "18" indicate the number of cells. IE 18 cells = 36 volts.
Last two numbers are the number of plates in the battery, "23" Each
cell will start and end with a negative plate, so the number of
negative plates will always be an even number and one more than
positve plates. This means my battery will have 12 negative plates
and 11 positve plates in each cell.

That 12 and 11 plate thing makes no sense at all to me. Does anyone else
understand what he's trying to say?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

snipped

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Roger Shoaf writes:

Hydrogen might be a great fuel, ...

Yes, as a hydrocarbon, not as the element.

I may not be around to see it, but I'd put my money on solar energy
becoming our saving grace as solar cell efficiency gets improved and
manufacturing costs lowered. The electricity they generated could be
used to make hydrogen if needed.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia writes:

That 12 and 11 plate thing makes no sense at all to me. Does anyone else
understand what he's trying to say?

I suspect he means that each cell has (of course) two poles, positive and
negative, but that each is made of 11 or 12 connected lead grids (plates).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:12:38 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Randy wrote:
Here's a little info I got from trying to find out info on my
forklift. My battery part number is stamped on one of the lead
crossbars near the positve terminal. The numbers stamped into the
side of the steel case (BB1 HL149) are meaningless I guess.

My P/N is 18 7523, which was explained to me as this, first two
numbers "18" indicate the number of cells. IE 18 cells = 36 volts.
Last two numbers are the number of plates in the battery, "23" Each
cell will start and end with a negative plate, so the number of
negative plates will always be an even number and one more than
positve plates. This means my battery will have 12 negative plates
and 11 positve plates in each cell.

That 12 and 11 plate thing makes no sense at all to me. Does anyone else
understand what he's trying to say?

Jeff

Yes the negative plates shed electrons, so for the positive plates to
ALL be active on both sides, each cell MUST have one more negative
plate than positives. For economy,(of lead and active material used,
and therefore weight) those outer negative plates COULD be single
sided (half plates) but that would require 3 kinds of negative, and
one kind of positive plate to be made for each cell.

Not very economically feasible on the long run

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:16:14 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Roger Shoaf writes:

Hydrogen might be a great fuel, ...

Yes, as a hydrocarbon, not as the element.

I may not be around to see it, but I'd put my money on solar energy
becoming our saving grace as solar cell efficiency gets improved and
manufacturing costs lowered. The electricity they generated could be
used to make hydrogen if needed.

Jeff

But the efficiency of converting solar electricity to hydrogen needs
to be significantly higher than the efficiency of charging batteries
for this to become reality.

I'm still expecting a breakthrough in battery or ultracapacitor
technology to make straight electrical vehicle power feasible - which
would allow solar energy to really come into its own.

At this point, ALL the technology to make a commercially acceptable
electric car is not only available, but proven and mature, EXCEPT for
the battery.
As for hydrogen technology, which type are we proposing? Hydrogen
combustion (heat engine) or hydrogen/electric (fuel cell)?
Hydrogen as an engine fuel has many hurdles to become a commercially
acceptable solution. Hydrogen fuel cell technology is closer, but
still has hurdles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm still expecting a breakthrough in battery or ultracapacitor
technology to make straight electrical vehicle power feasible

As long as your continging on a breakthrough, you ought to choose a more
plausible and more valuable breakthrough. Like room-temperature
superconductors or cold fusion. Then the clean, abundant energy problems
are solved.

Wishing and hoping for better batteries is like dreaming about a pony who
doesn't eat much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia writes:

I may not be around to see it, but I'd put my money on solar energy
becoming our saving grace as solar cell efficiency gets improved and
manufacturing costs lowered.

Solar energy density is inherently weak. Physics requires it. Hoping
won't change that.

Sort of like the blood in the hospital in the movie _The Killing Fields_.
The doctors had plenty of blood, but it was spread all over the floor
instead of inside bottles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Randy wrote:
Here's a little info I got from trying to find out info on my
forklift. My battery part number is stamped on one of the lead
crossbars near the positve terminal. The numbers stamped into the
side of the steel case (BB1 HL149) are meaningless I guess.

My P/N is 18 7523, which was explained to me as this, first two
numbers "18" indicate the number of cells. IE 18 cells = 36 volts.
Last two numbers are the number of plates in the battery, "23" Each
cell will start and end with a negative plate, so the number of
negative plates will always be an even number and one more than
positve plates. This means my battery will have 12 negative plates
and 11 positve plates in each cell.

That 12 and 11 plate thing makes no sense at all to me. Does anyone else
understand what he's trying to say?

Jeff

see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-acid_battery

Each cell has alternating lead plates with a separator inbetween them,
one plate forms the positive and one plate forms the negative, these
plates are laid up side by side until a cell of 2 volts is created.
The size of the plates in square inches of surface area determines its
amp/hour capacity.

More clear?

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Randy wrote:
[...]

Still wrong. Only takes 2 plates to make 2 volts The extra plates, in
parallel, produce more CAPACITY.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Randy wrote:
[...]

Yep, I'm wrong. All the neg's are connected together in parallel and
and all the pos's are connected together in parallel. so one of each
would be 2 volts.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:08:26 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Randy quickly quoth:

wrote:

Randy wrote:
[...]

In a 2 volt battery, you're right. In a 12V battery, they're connected
in series, each set producing 2V. Larger plates increases capacity.

-+
-+
-+
-+ = 2V -+-+-+-+-+-+ = 12V
-+
-+

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done
or left undone in the short run determines the long run.
-- Sydney J. Harris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Randy wrote:
[...]

I was refering to a single cell.

A 12 volt battery is 6 cells of 2 volts each. So inside each cell the
plates are parallelled for more current, and then the cells are
connected in series to provide the voltage needed in a complete
battery.

I hope everyone reading this thread now knows what I was trying to
say.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In a 2 volt battery, you're right. In a 12V battery, they're connected
in series, each set producing 2V. Larger plates increases capacity.

-+
-+
-+
-+ = 2V -+-+-+-+-+-+ = 12V
-+
-+

I was refering to a single cell.

A 12 volt battery is 6 cells of 2 volts each. So inside each cell the
plates are parallelled for more current, and then the cells are
connected in series to provide the voltage needed in a complete
battery.

I hope everyone reading this thread now knows what I was trying to
say.

Thank You,
Randy

OK I'll try some fancy ASCII art work too: :-)

| - + | | - + | | - + | | - + | | - + | | - + |
---| - + |---| - + |---| - + |---| - + |---| - + |---| - + |---(+)12V
| - + | | - + | | - + | | - + | | - + | | - + |

There is your 12V "BATTERY" with multiple plates in each "CELL". :-)
Aint ASCII art fun?
...lew...(nothing better to do till supper)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Randy wrote:
[...]

You are still wrong. Each cell in ANY lead acid battery is 2 volts,
and virtually all have parallel connected, interleaving plates in each
cell. Larger OR more plated gives increased capacity.

There really is no such thing as a 2 volt battery. lead-acid wise.
It's only a cell - and a battery, by definition, is multiple cells.

No such thing as an A, AA, AAA,C or D battery either. They are all
single cells. A 9 volt is a battery..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy fired this volley in
:
Each cell has alternating lead plates with a separator inbetween them,
one plate forms the positive and one plate forms the negative, these
plates are laid up side by side until a cell of 2 volts is created.

More clear?

It was, Randy, until you said that!

Just two plates =2V. So does 20 plates. So does 200.

The number of plates per cell affects the surface area, which in turn
affects the ampacity of the cell. The number of plates in parallel has
no effect whatsoever on the voltage of the cell.

LLoyd