Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default One more law

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:20:00 -0800, Robin S. wrote:

Max limit in France seems to be about 130 km/h, and (surprise) everyone
drives at 130 km/h in good weather - just like they do here! (Canadian
freeway speed limit is 100km/h)

In Alberta somewhat more at 110 km/h and on the #1 in BC too.

Mind you, German roads are kept in fantastic condition.

As are the roads on Alberta, wish I could say the same for BC - especially
in the North, but then we're beyond Hope :-) BCer's joke.

Apparently the autobahn asphalt is roughly twice as thick as our freeways
are. You really notice the difference at 160km/h in a hatchback.

MIke in BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner
wrote on Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:41:26
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

This is not completely correct. CA has a basic speed law that prohibits
driving faster than is safe. That is applicable on any road.

On roads that have a "maximum speed" posted, this can be enforced regardless
of better than average conditions. A prime example of this is in Gunner's
back yard. Trucks going down the grapevine have a maximum speed limit of 35
MPH. Enforcement begins at 36 MPH.

Indeed. and they DO enforce a 1mph overspeed. And its VERY expensive.
1-5 mph over on the Grapevine as I recall, costs a trucker $471 to
start off with and goes up from there.

Of course the Grapevine has had a LONG history of incredibly horrific
deaths on it as the result of truck traffic.

Dad's story was from the CHP officer who had it floored, was doing
over a hundred and climbing, lights and siren going - when the truck
passed him. I've also been told, if you were really, really,
extremely "use up a lifetime supply, eight and a half of your nine
lives", lucky, you might make it shiny side up, down onto the flat,
and then coast to Bakersfield. Coast, 'cause you had no brakes.
But that was back in the good old days, before they straightened
the curves.
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 03:01:04 GMT, Michael Gray
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:20:00 -0800, Robin S. wrote:

Max limit in France seems to be about 130 km/h, and (surprise) everyone
drives at 130 km/h in good weather - just like they do here! (Canadian
freeway speed limit is 100km/h)

In Alberta somewhat more at 110 km/h and on the #1 in BC too.

Mind you, German roads are kept in fantastic condition.

As are the roads on Alberta, wish I could say the same for BC - especially
in the North, but then we're beyond Hope :-) BCer's joke.

Apparently the autobahn asphalt is roughly twice as thick as our freeways
are. You really notice the difference at 160km/h in a hatchback.

MIke in BC

Since last fall, around here, if you're caught driving 50km/hr. over
the limit, it costs you $2000.00 and you lose the car and your licence
for a week - if it's a rental car, you get to pay an extra week
rental; if it's your mothers car, she gets to walk along side you
unless she can borrow daddy's car.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote in message
In Utah, today, a new law is closer to reality. If you have more than 5
vehicles behind you, you must pull out at the first safe place and let
them pass, EVEN IF ALL OF YOU ARE EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT. I foresee
lawsuits on this one. Massive pileups with "people driving under
permission from the State of Utah to exceed the speed limit." It's only
logical.

They have the same law in Ontario. The cop can either charge you with
speeding
or obstructing traffic or both at the same time, depending on whether the
cop
got lucky last night.

If they ever outlaw nose picking, I'm just going to park my truck and
shoot it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 17:55:58 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I have to admit I've never gotten out in front of my cars with the fog
lights on to see what they look like, comin' attacha. Of course, I don't use
them except in snow, heavy rain or fog anyway (and only rarely then), so it
hasn't mattered to me. But now I'm curious. I'll see what it looks like.

Drive up to your garage some night and turn 'em on. You'll see where
they point in relation to the low and high beams. For fog, the amber
beams must be aimed low to avoid highlighting the fog like the high
beams do. They can be used safely, if properly aimed (which 90%
aren't) with traffic around.

Driving light, OTOH, must be aimed high to show you what your high
beams can't beam out to. All oncoming traffic would be blinded by them
when properly aimed.

Hey, as a deterrent, howzbout someone building and selling us a nice
little taser unit which disables (like the police units they're
testing) the oncoming vehicle which blinded us? A side-shot from the
rear of the vehicle would blast it and force them to the side of the
road. Instant Karma!

(Don, got some time in between LED bike light manufacturing tasks?)

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:21:09 -0800, "T.Alan Kraus"
wrote:

When talking about driving, a majority envisions driving on freeways and
forgets the enormous amount of divided secondary and rural roads. Where
I live, these roads are in the majority and also curvy and variably
shaded by trees. There is a constant light play and driving with lights
on affords a few milliseconds of recognition advantage to the other car
driver. It is amazing how many driving silver or green painted cars
blend so well into the pavement or sourroundings. To old eyes like mine,
if their headlights are on, they become immediately very visible.

cheers
T.Alan

Today at the westbound Pasadena 210 split, I nearly nailed an elderly
woman in a tan car, who pulled out in front of me at about 5mph from
the slow lane to the hot lane, not bothering to check her mirrors. My
headlights WERE on and I had to swerve into the next lane, fortunately
empty. I was traveling at around 50mph , hauling a trailer with about
1000s of Stuff on it, the roads were slick and if Id locked em up..it
would have been a hell of a go round as the trailer and truck swapped
ends in 8 lanes (one way) of traffic.

When I went by..I gave her the fickle finger of fate, a long blast of
the horn, and noticed the red temporary handicapped plate hanging from
her mirror..an her chatting on the cell phone. Im surprised they give
those that badly retarded drivers licenses.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:34:57 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:39:11 -0800, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA
wrote:

I can see having lights on during the day for safety purposes. But
criminently, it doesn't have to be high beams or fog lights (four lights).
And when the visibility is good, the fog lights at night are just plain
ignorant. If these were just a pair of daylight driving lights, and there
were only two of them, I can see that. But why do they have to turn these
on during the day and have four headlights? At night, the four lights are
just borderline as bright as high beam.

I have them on my truck. The only thing they illuminate when I put them on
is the three feet in front of the bumper, and the guardrail. I usually
focus on areas other than that and see no use in illuminating that area,
except if I were out four wheeling at night and wanted to see right in front
of my truck. Not, if it were foggy, that would be another story.

Steve

I liked the headlight system on my '90 Lumina APV - low beams at
reduced output when the engine is running during daylight. Enter a low
light area or block the sensor and all lights come on full brightness
- high or low controlled by the driver. When SWMBO picked up the
vehicle, the salesman showed her the light switch and told her "never
touch it"

My new Tundra has a timed relay for the lights. I love it already
since I run with headlights at all times. The little amber daylight
running lamps don't quite cover it.

no more dead battery until the teens discovered the reading
lights.

And you can't use the 94 on them, can you? sigh Time to buy a
hand-crank battery charger which takes 2 hours of hard work to restore
your battery. Make the teen perp crank it until charged. It just might
reinforce your request that they turn off the lights before
disembarking the vehicle.

Most of the A'holes with "driving lamps" want them within 6" of the
road, showing more lighted area than the factory installed system, and
on when the vehicle is occupied. A Winchester 94 with a filtered scope
would improve these "Driving Lamps" greatly.

A Barrett .50 through the block would make the owners think twice.

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done
or left undone in the short run determines the long run.
-- Sydney J. Harris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:21:24 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
pyotr filipivich quickly quoth:

[...]

I was heading to Sandy Eggo with a buddy in his built 65 Goat, a 389
with 3 2-bbl carbs on it and a 3.03 rear end. We had just entered I-5
south from Oceanside, CA when he sped up to 70 or so, back when it was
a 55mph California. A CHP officer pulled up next to us and pointed for
us to pull over. Phil laughed, hit a long burn in second gear, and we
were off to the races. I **** a brick, thinking we'd be in jail in
minutes. He caught rubber in third and we were leaving the CHP behind
us long before he caught 4th. He leveled off at 140, ran for about a
minute there, and then backed her down. It was then that he told me he
knew the CHP officer and they did that every once in awhile for kicks.
I liked to have killed him for that, but it was a very memorable
evening.

and then coast to Bakersfield. Coast, 'cause you had no brakes.
But that was back in the good old days, before they straightened
the curves.

I had fun driving I-8 to Phoenix back before it was turned into a real
freeway and they removed all the nice twists and turns. sob

Ah, those were the days. I remember one time, beer between legs, when
I'd dropped off a buddy in my '70 AMC Javelin. It was a Mark Donahue
Special with the 390cid, 375hp, 420ft# V-8, Borg Warner T-10 close
ratio 4-sp trans, and 4.11 rear end. What a FUN car! He indicated
that I should light 'em up, so when I went around the corner, I
squealed 'em a bit, then caught second with a full burn. About then, I
noticed that the headlights coming up behind me were coming
increasingly fast. I kept on the throttle through the curves for about
a mile and hit a side street. I moved up a block and pulled over,
shutting off the lights and motor with him a good 1/4 mile behind me.
As the CHP officer in the Dodge Interceptor went by on the other
street, I saw his emblem glow in the moon and was glad I'd pulled off.
I finished my beer, got rid of the can, and retraced my steps as soon
as he was out of sight again. Whew! He'd have hit his siren and
lights as soon as he'd caught up to me and seen my license plate, but
that never happened. Oh, and I didn't spill a single drop of beer
during that high speed pursuit, either. vbg I'm glad the drunken
days are over.

Speed is fun, but a bit less fun once you get gray.

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done
or left undone in the short run determines the long run.
-- Sydney J. Harris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 01:25:27 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:

When talking about driving, a majority envisions driving on freeways and
forgets the enormous amount of divided secondary and rural roads. Where
I live, these roads are in the majority and also curvy and variably
shaded by trees. There is a constant light play and driving with lights
on affords a few milliseconds of recognition advantage to the other car
driver. It is amazing how many driving silver or green painted cars
blend so well into the pavement or sourroundings. To old eyes like mine,
if their headlights are on, they become immediately very visible.

cheers
T.Alan

Today at the westbound Pasadena 210 split, I nearly nailed an elderly
woman in a tan car, who pulled out in front of me at about 5mph from
the slow lane to the hot lane, not bothering to check her mirrors. My

Headlights only work for the sighted, Gunner.

--snip--
Its the little old lady from pasadena
Go granny, go granny, go granny go
Got a pretty little flower bed of white gardenias
Go granny, go granny, go granny go
But parked in her rickety old garage
Is a brand new shiny red super-stock dodge

And everybodys saying theres nobody meaner
Than the little old lady from pasadena
She drives real fast and she drives real hard
Shes a terror out on colorado boulevard

Its the little old lady from pasadena
--snip--

headlights WERE on and I had to swerve into the next lane, fortunately
empty. I was traveling at around 50mph , hauling a trailer with about
1000s of Stuff on it, the roads were slick and if Id locked em up..it
would have been a hell of a go round as the trailer and truck swapped
ends in 8 lanes (one way) of traffic.

That tends to get messy, doesn't it?

When I went by..I gave her the fickle finger of fate, a long blast of
the horn, and noticed the red temporary handicapped plate hanging from
her mirror..an her chatting on the cell phone. Im surprised they give
those that badly retarded drivers licenses.

What kind of pulse will kill a cell phone? Maybe one of the
ex-electronics experts here can come up with a phone disgronifier so
we can all make the streets around us safer places to be, without the
idiots on cell phones threatening at every intersection and beyond.

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done
or left undone in the short run determines the long run.
-- Sydney J. Harris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Polarizers on the driving lights, and crosspolarizers on windshields! An
idea I have had for along time, but wouldn't know how to implement
universally.

cheers
T.Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Sorry. Every once in a while, the little conservative inside of me has to
come out and play. d8-)

You should let him out more often.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The little ******* gives me a rash and indigestion.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Larry Jaques
wrote on Sun, 02 Mar 2008 04:07:04
[...]

Had a friend, bran new fast car. Coming back to Tucson from SD,
there's a nice flat stretch of desert. So he's tooling down the
highway, and notices there's a cop car behind him, lights going. Looks
down - doing an excessive rate of speed, 90 plus. "oops" and pulls
over. He's all apologetic, road hypnosis, hadn't realized how fast
he'd speeded up, and blah, blah. Cop tells him that if he hadn't
slowed down, he would not have caught up to him. Said he'd been
clocked at around 140 earlier, "way out in front". Ooops. Let him go
with a warning, as I recall.
Dang, I can remember his face (big hair and mustache - it was
1974) but not his name. Long ago and far away.
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender
whether they served zombies he said, ‘Sure, what'll you have?'"
from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 21:09:08 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Sorry. Every once in a while, the little conservative inside of me has to
come out and play. d8-)

You should let him out more often.

The little ******* gives me a rash and indigestion.

Yet you keep swearing that you're not a liberal. Hmmm...

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done
or left undone in the short run determines the long run.
-- Sydney J. Harris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Sorry. Every once in a while, the little conservative inside of me has
come out and play. d8-)

You should let him out more often.

The little ******* gives me a rash and indigestion.

Yet you keep swearing that you're not a liberal. Hmmm...

You don't want to know what the little liberal gives me, when he comes out.
It's not something you want to hear about before breakfast. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 01:15:07 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Had a friend, bran new fast car. Coming back to Tucson from SD,
there's a nice flat stretch of desert. So he's tooling down the
highway, and notices there's a cop car behind him, lights going. Looks
down - doing an excessive rate of speed, 90 plus. "oops" and pulls
over. He's all apologetic, road hypnosis, hadn't realized how fast
he'd speeded up, and blah, blah. Cop tells him that if he hadn't
slowed down, he would not have caught up to him. Said he'd been
clocked at around 140 earlier, "way out in front". Ooops. Let him go
with a warning, as I recall.
Dang, I can remember his face (big hair and mustache - it was
1974) but not his name. Long ago and far away.

Chap I knew slightly; to look at him, (short, bald, well worn clothes
in his early 60's) you would expect him to be driving a rusty Chevy
pickup with at least one fender held in place with baling wire; had
the first Toyota MR2 I had seen. I asked him how fast it would go and
he replied that he didn't know because the police quit following him
at 160.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

wrote:

[...]

Oh, kilometers!
I was about to call him a liar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

You don't want to know what the little liberal gives me, when he comes out.
It's not something you want to hear about before breakfast. d8-)

I keep my little inner liberal on a chain. For some strange reason it seems
to like that.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex wrote:

Oh, kilometers!
I was about to call him a liar

I think my Saturn SL1 could do that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

You don't want to know what the little liberal gives me, when he comes out.
It's not something you want to hear about before breakfast. d8-)

I keep my little inner liberal on a chain. For some strange reason it seems
to like that.

Wes

'Inner liberal'? Shoot the little *******!

prove it.