Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ebay fraud...

I recently bid on and won a nice Ramset semiautomatic powder actuated
stud gun. After bidding on a ****load and losing, I got this one very
cheaply for some reason. $19, About half or less than normally sold
for on ebay. Total with inflated shipping was about $50.

Within minutes, I paid via paypal and waited for it to arrive so I
could put it to work.

About 5 days later, I got a Paypal notice that my money had been
refunded, with a followup email from the sender that she had shipped
it to another buyer (of another stud gun she alleged to have sold) by
accident, and he was refusing to answer her email messages to send it
back.
Ok..accidents h appen. I told her I might be interested in the one she
sold to him, that was not shipped.

Then I started looking at her completed auctions to see what kind it
was.

Odd...no other stud guns were sold by her.... within 30 days of the
one I won.

I emailed her a second time, making mention that it would be a shame
for her to get a seriously negative feedback and a complaint to Ebay,
if she had decided it didnt sell for what she thought it should have,
and was playing games, but she seemed like a very nice lady and
wouldnt stoop that low, with her 100% positive feedback rating to
date. I told her Id wait a bit before leaving feedback.

Ive not as of yet left her any feedback. Ill wait a week or so more.
Still no response from her on the last email yet.

I know I have no recourse, of course. She returned the money. But this
is the 3rd time this sort of thing has happened to me in the last
year..and Im a bit ****ed off.

Damn..it was a nice one and one Im unlikely to find again for a price
I can afford. Same as the last 2 items others have played
catchme****me with.

With the increases in "shipping"..its getting to be cheaper to haunt
pawn shops than buy on ebay.

/rant off

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 2:57*pm, Gunner wrote:
[...]

My guess is that other Ebayers are emailing the seller with higher
offers for the item.

It happens ALL THE TIME.

Count yourself lucky that you got your money back...many times buyers
do not.

You are a smart one to realize that Ebay is not the one stop shopping
spot for stuff...yes pawn shops have their place in our tool buying
universe. The problem is that many pawn shops now use Ebay as their
baseline as to what items are worth.

Other sources like garage sales, estate sales and private sales also
are using Ebay for pricing baselines.

The good old days of local used tool bargains are gone.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

Virtually all her other feedback is for selling shoes.

Chances are, she was selling for someone else who decided it went too cheap
and refused to sell it.

Despicable behavior, but she's probably in a trick bag.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 6:56*pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Broken glass....at Ebay prices.

I hear crude oil is at an all time high too.

TMT

For the second time this year!

ANd it's still only February...

Hang on to your wallet...we will easily see $4 gas and likely will see
$5 with a year.

Hmmm...I wonder what that will do to the price of vaseline.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 7:46*pm, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:56:17 -0600, cavelamb himself

wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Broken glass....at Ebay prices.

I hear crude oil is at an all time high too.

TMT

For the second time this year!

ANd it's still only February...

*I just bought some software - and got a message today that their
supplier made a mistake and didn't ship it to them - did I want a
refund or did I want to wait a week.
Figured I've gone more than a week without it, I'll wait and let them
sweat.

Many times sellers will wait for a group of orders before buying in
bulk to get a discount.

Not enough orders...make up some excuse to the buyers about the big
bad supplier. ;)

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-27, Grant Erwin wrote:
Awhile ago I bid and won a Miller Trailblazer for a spectacular price. Then
I got an email from ebay saying they canceled the auction. Sheesh.

Probably was a scam auction, the seller would have probably asked you
to wire money via Western Union.

I saw these auctions for fake Trailblazers. It was "local" to me. I
asked the seller if I can pick locally and got a bunch of BS how "he
is in Spain on business" but how he "would ship it to me for free".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:16:32 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Feb 27, 6:56Â*pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Broken glass....at Ebay prices.

I hear crude oil is at an all time high too.

TMT

For the second time this year!

ANd it's still only February...

Hang on to your wallet...we will easily see $4 gas and likely will see
$5 with a year.

Hmmm...I wonder what that will do to the price of vaseline.

TMT

We will see $4 gas?????
I only wish.
$4.12 per US Gallon of 87 octane yesterday when I filled up the
Mystique. Down to $4.03 this morning. Tomorrow? Who knows.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

I hear crude oil is at an all time high too.

TMT

For the second time this year!

ANd it's still only February...

Hang on to your wallet...we will easily see $4 gas and likely will see
$5 with a year.

Hmmm...I wonder what that will do to the price of vaseline.

TMT

We will see $4 gas?????
I only wish.
$4.12 per US Gallon of 87 octane yesterday when I filled up the
Mystique. Down to $4.03 this morning. Tomorrow? Who knows.

I hope it goes up to $8 a gallon, and gets rid of a lot of the riff raff
that are driving around.

The only ones left will be the rich, and the illegals because they drive
stolen cars and pay nothing for insurance. Leaves them more dinero por
petrol.

Steve

I've seen some foolish stuff written here, but you rung the bell, Steveie.

The riff raff includes the delivery trucks that bring the world to your
door (spelled supermarket).

$20 a pound for coffee

$10 a gallon for milk - only slightly soured while waiting.

$5 a loaf for bread - onlu because it's baked locally.

And that's just the beginning. Of the end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:42:30 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

/rant off

Gunner

Virtually all her other feedback is for selling shoes.

Chances are, she was selling for someone else who decided it went too cheap
and refused to sell it.

Despicable behavior, but she's probably in a trick bag.

Paul K. Dickman

Didnt see any other nail guns either did you?

Got an email back tonight.....fascinating

First email from them....

"i am so sorry i had a single shot stud gun for sale last week and
apparently shipped him your gun by mistake, he has received the gun
but will not respond to my emails. i am going to refund your money
today and if he returns the gun i will email you and the ship it
priority mail for free. sorry for the delay but i was hoping to get
back and get it to you. thanks dee"
*******
My response

"Damnit. Sigh..I really wanted that gun too. Hang on to the money for
another week or so, and maybe the clown will finally respond. What was
the other gun you had for sale? I assume you still have it? Perhaps I
could use it. Doesnt bother me if its single shot or not, as long as
it has a trigger."

Gunner
*******
Then I went digging for that other nail gun on their completed
auctions...didnt find it..got to pondering it.....

I sent a second email the next day....

"Im wondering if you got my email about the nail gun that you didnt
ship to the other fellow. Oddly enough...I checked your finished
auctions and didnt find any nail guns sold in the last 30 days as you
claimed. So either you are using more than one seller account, or are
blowing smoke. As I indicated, if you cannot get the nail gun I won,
back, Id be interested in the one you didnt ship by mistake. If there
really isnt another nail gun, and you lied to me, expect some
seriously negative feedback and a complaint to Ebay for
non-performance. Id really hate to think that you figured it sold too
low, so decided to send the payment back and sell it elsewhere. Now
you have great feedback, so I doubt if you are that sort of person. On
the other hand..its happened twice to me before on ebay. I saw the
"lost" item show up 6 months later, from the same seller in one case.
Im just a good ol boy, with great feedback myself, and quite
reasonable. Ill be waiting for your response with interest."

- gunnerasch
*******
Their response tonight after a 3 day delay....

"HONESTLY GOOD OLD BOYS MUST BE DIFFERENT WHERE YOUR FROM, I CONSIDER
MYSELF 1 AND IDE REALIZE I WASNT OUT A DIME. I APOLOGIZED FOR THE
MISTAKE AND YES I HAVE 3 DAUGHTERS IN COLLEGE WITH ACCOUNTS TO MAKE
SOME SPENDING MONEY. I WOULD ASSUME THE OTHER PERSON TO BE HONEST AND
NOT LIE OVER A STINKING $20. TO SEND THIS SINGLE SHOT TO YOU IN PLACE
OF THE NEW GUN YOU PURCHASED WOULD BE A RIP OFF. THEN TO THREATEN MY
FEEDBACK WHEN YOU REALLY HAVE NO DAMAGES SEEMS PETTY. LEAVE THE
FEEDBACK THAT YOU CAN LIVE WITH AS WILL I. I IMAGEN YOU WILL LOOK AT
YOUS LONGER THAN MY DAUGHTER."
*******
My response tonight....

"Finally..a response. I was wondering. Now what was that single shot
stud gun?
As I indicated...with your high feedback, I didnt think yall were that
sort of people. However..as I also said..its happened twice already
with other people with equally high feedback. So when I DIDNT see any
other stud gun in your completed auctions...shrug..can you blame me
for thinking such a nasty thing was possible..not that it had
happened..but possible? Now you realize Ive not yet left any feedback?
If I was convinced yall had played funny...any doubt Id have would
have? Its called "benefit of the doubt" at least so far.

Now what was that other stud gun you sold? Still dont see it on your
completed sales list. Shrug..I might be interested. Btw....Im self
employed..so really do appreciate people trying to make a buck, rather
than than whining. Good for you for doing the Ebay thing!"
Gunner
*******

Shrug...ebay..ya takes yar chances.....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:52:48 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Don't you just hate all that sand in the Vaseline?

Indeed.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 10:06*pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
SteveB wrote:
I hear crude oil is at an all time high too.

TMT

For the second time this year!

ANd it's still only February...

Hang on to your wallet...we will easily see $4 gas and likely will see
$5 with a year.

If you guys know gasoline will go to $5 bucks a gallon why don't you
buy stock in a reputable oil company. Play the futures market, buy an
interest in an oil well. Drill your own well. Stop the bitching and
try to make some money on a sure thing.If you are sure. Who is going
to stop YOU. You live in a "free" country. There are many ways to
profit from high crude prices....... Yes I have production.
The real enemy is the falling dollar. Not high fuel prices. The US
will probably end up like most any country south of the rio grande in
the 80's.

Scott in Texas

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Their response tonight after a 3 day delay....

LEAVE THE FEEDBACK THAT YOU CAN LIVE WITH AS WILL I.

There it is. The blatant threat - neg me, I'll neg you. That's exactly
why ebay is discontinuing allowing sellers to leave feedback.

Do I think what ebay's moving to is the correct solution? No. I think
the seller should be forced to leave feedback first.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

... she seemed like a very nice [seller] and wouldnt stoop that
low, with her 100% positive feedback rating to date. I told her Id
wait a bit before leaving feedback.

Some sellers consider 100% positive feedback necessary and will go
to extremes like leaving a negative in response to a buyer's neutral
feedback, just so they can coerce the buyer to remove the feedback
with them.

Fortunately eBay is changing the rules. Soon buyers will be able to
leave neutral or negative feedback for sellers and the sellers will
not be able to retaliate. So now we'll be able to see what other
buyers have to say about a seller, so we can make an informed
judgment about whether that seller is right for us.

Very much looking forward to the new eBay feedback.

/rant off

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I hear crude oil is at an all time high too.

TMT

For the second time this year!

ANd it's still only February...

Hang on to your wallet...we will easily see $4 gas and likely will see
$5 with a year.

If you guys know gasoline will go to $5 bucks a gallon why don't *you
buy stock in a reputable oil company. Play the futures market, buy an
interest in an oil well. Drill your own well. Stop the bitching and
try to make some money on a sure thing.If you are sure. Who is going
to stop YOU. You live in a "free" country. There are many ways to
profit from high crude prices....... Yes I have production.
The real enemy is the falling dollar. Not high fuel prices. The US
will probably end up like most any country south of the rio grande in
the 80's.

Scott in Texas

I have...and have made LOTS of money.

In fact betting against Bush has made me LOTS AND LOTS of money.

Sometimes there is a sure thing....

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The same thing recently happened to me on 75 ft of braided 3/4" hose. I left
a nuetral feedback in the end. She stated that there had been a theft and
returned my money. I did not believe this.
Steve
"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:25:17 -0600, wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:57:16 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

[...]

Lets see.....
I bought a hand tool that was supposedly lost in shipping. After a
long while, and several rude emails from the guy, I got a refund. I
was nice when I gave him neutral feedback. He gave me a negative, and
in the feedback said it was because I gave him a neutral.

I bought a reciprocating saw that was literally broke in half. The
electrical parts worked but the case was broke in half, and I got a
badly smashed finger between the two halves when I tried it. The box
was not even dented. The guy insisted it was perfect, said he'd give
me a refund if I paid the shipping (both ways). The cost of shipping
would have been more than the item price. I kept the piece of junk,
and maybe someday I'll find a match with a bad motor.

I bought a computer that was missing the cd drive (that was shown in
the ad, had a bad floppy drive, and when I turned it on, it literally
went up in smoke as a few parts sizzled. This turned out ot be the
same deal as the saw, I pay the shipping. I would have lost money on
that deal, so I just removed the hard drive, video card, and memory
and tossed the rest of it in the trash.

I bought a used camera card (when they were still very expensive). It
came DOA. The ad said "in perfect working order", but also said "no
returns", so I was SOL.

I bought a "brand new" 80 gig hard drive. The box was sealed but did
not look like a factory seal. The drive was totally dead. The guy
said 5 day return policy. It took 6 days to arrive. He refused to
return my money or replace it because he counted the shipping days.

I bough a VHS movie. The tape was ripped in half. The guy swore it
was perfect when he mailed it and blamed the shipping. As if shipping
would rip the inside of a vhs tape. He told me to complain to the
shipper. I lost on that one too.

This does not include when Paypal stole about $50 from me because it
was in my account but when I changed my ISP, it insisted that if I
could not get the email at the old address, they locked me out of my
money, and after numerous emails, mailed letters, and phone calls, I
never got anything but automated emails in return that said nothing.

Needless to say, I closed my Ebay account and will NEVER use Ebay
again.......

I have no been screwed on Ebay yet, but, I have been disappointed in
some things I purchased thinking they were more than they were.
I only buy brand new stuff from reparable sellers. Nothing used any
more. Must be a power seller with a store front. I realize that
doesn't make me imune to fraud, but it seems to increase the odds of
not getting bit.

With the state loosing tax dollars at an alarming rate, I'm beginning
to think that buying it locally and paying the sales tax, to fund the
local police, firemen, and teachers, is the right thing to do. I like
it when they plow the snow out of the road, and repair potholes and
traffic lights, so I'll buy locally if I can. Somebody has to pay
them.

If I can't find it locally, I'll get it on-line somewhere.
Oh yeah, I always email the seller and ask if it is Made in the USA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:50:00 -0800, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA
wrote:

I hope it goes up to $8 a gallon, and gets rid of a lot of the riff raff
that are driving around.

The only ones left will be the rich, and the illegals because they drive
stolen cars and pay nothing for insurance. Leaves them more dinero por
petrol.

$8 a gallon is nowhere near enough to achieve your targets

--
Mike - regularly paying the equivalent US$7.75 per US gallon in the
UK
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Feb 27, 3:52 pm, Rex wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Feb 27, 2:57 pm, Gunner wrote:
[...]

I have seen the same thing. Garage and especially estate sale people are
using ebay as a pricing guide. I recognize that pretty quickly and head
back to the car. If they want ebay prices they need to post on ebay.

I have better luck in older working-class neighborhoods where retired
people are selling off a lifetime's worth of junk so their heirs won't
have to mess with it. They are less likely to be web-active so some
bargains can be found. And I've been known to pay more than the marked
price if something was way underpriced and the people were nice.- Hide quoted text -

I see it all the time.

I politely tell them that if they want Ebay prices that they should
post it there.

Then of course they will have to pay Ebay fees and deal with the risks/
hassles associated with online selling.

and packing, and shipping....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

I emailed her a second time, making mention that it would be a shame
for her to get a seriously negative feedback and a complaint to Ebay,
if she had decided it didnt sell for what she thought it should have,
and was playing games, but she seemed like a very nice lady and
wouldnt stoop that low, with her 100% positive feedback rating to
date. I told her Id wait a bit before leaving feedback.

Ive not as of yet left her any feedback. Ill wait a week or so more.
Still no response from her on the last email yet.

I know I have no recourse, of course. She returned the money. But this
is the 3rd time this sort of thing has happened to me in the last
year..and Im a bit ****ed off.

With the increases in "shipping"..its getting to be cheaper to haunt
pawn shops than buy on ebay.

Yeah, unfortunately, my only advice is "get used to it"! It is
a shame that eBay has gone from a nice community of guys
swapping stuff to a bunch of shlock outfits selling 14,000 scrap
items a month for whatever they can get. The business of
setting $50 shipping on a pair of cufflinks or something is
really a scandal, and eBay has not done a DAMN THING about it,
even though it is expressly done to CHEAT them! I can't figure
that one out.

There are a bunch of outfits selling salvage, pawned, returned,
shop-worn, etc. items as "Brand-new, tested, 100% OK".
Something like 25-50% of their items have something serious
wrong with them. Just read the feedback and it is apalling.
Some of them are getting hundreds of negatives a month, but if
they also can just get a few more positives than negatives, eBay
considers that OK.

I built up my shop with a bunch of used gear on eBay, but I am
getting MUCH more cautious lately. It has gotten to the point
that I don't want to sell my own products on eBay because of the
"taint"!

I still buy stuff on eBay, but have had problems with a
substantial number of the items recently, all computer-related
stuff, not shop tools.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

I recently bid on and won a nice Ramset semiautomatic powder actuated
stud gun. After bidding on a ****load and losing, I got this one very
cheaply for some reason. $19, About half or less than normally sold
for on ebay. Total with inflated shipping was about $50.

I've had a couple auctions where seller cancelled when I when my bid was on
low side for item but I was highest bidder. That ****es me off since ebay
considers my bid as a contract but sellors offer to sell as non binding.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 1:58*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
[...]

Gunner- Hide quoted text -

Did you ask for a copy of the police report?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Needless to say, I closed my Ebay account and will NEVER use Ebay
again.......

all this bad experience - that's amazing - I've had several thousand ebay
transactions I suppose, some buying and some selling - I've encountered a
couple of unreasonable buyers who left bad feedback, and a couple of times
I've been disappointed in what I bought, but either it was a gamble I
knowingly took, or I reached an accommodation with the seller except for one
case - why do you guys have so many more bad experiences?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Needless to say, I closed my Ebay account and will NEVER use Ebay
again.......

all this bad experience - that's amazing - I've had several thousand ebay
transactions I suppose, some buying and some selling - I've encountered a
couple of unreasonable buyers who left bad feedback, and a couple of times
I've been disappointed in what I bought, but either it was a gamble I
knowingly took, or I reached an accommodation with the seller except for one
case - why do you guys have so many more bad experiences?

I have been on Ebay for over ten years....and the majority of my
transactions have been positive.

But I do have to say the the ones in the last year or so have been
less favorable....and some just down right dishonest.

I consider this has caught up with Ebay and the reason behind some of
their changes....when the buyers stay away, revenues drop.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:15:22 -0600, Rex wrote:

nick hull wrote:

You will wish it were in gold before the cycle ends

Heck, I already do. close to $1000/oz

But, as the US dollar is virtually worthless it's still dirt cheap
overseas