Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Leeson 3 phase motor wiring

I've got a spare 3 phase Leeson 1-1/2 hp motor I need to test out and
use on a temporary project. Of course the wiring diagram is missing. It
has 6 leads numbered 1 through 5 and a #8. I know what to do with 9
wire units, this one is very likely a single voltage unit, 208/230 volt.
What is the most likely wiring configuration? I can guess but I usually
need to replace a fuse or two before I get it right.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the link. The Leeson site was much less helpful.

I think you meant "line 1 to (1 and 6) together" but that still doesn't
seem right on this motor. I won't have a chance to look at it some more
until tomorrow. Think I'll get the sensitive ohm meter out and check
things more closely.

I need to make some sort of switch or starter relay. I just hate
plugging 3 phase twist locks in under load.

More later.

Robert Swinney wrote:
Roy,

Are you sure you don't mean 6 leads numbered 1through 6 and a #8 lead which is ground ?

If this is so then std. hookup should be: line 1 to (1 and 2) together; phase 2 to (2 and 4)
together; phase 3 to (3 and 5) together.

Diagrams found at: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...n_diagrams.htm

Bob Swinney

"RoyJ" wrote in message ...
I've got a spare 3 phase Leeson 1-1/2 hp motor I need to test out and
use on a temporary project. Of course the wiring diagram is missing. It
has 6 leads numbered 1 through 5 and a #8. I know what to do with 9
wire units, this one is very likely a single voltage unit, 208/230 volt.
What is the most likely wiring configuration? I can guess but I usually
need to replace a fuse or two before I get it right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wasn't seriously thinking about just plugging it in! This project is
slated to have a VFD after I find a suitable motor so this is just
temporary hookup for speed and power draw tests. I'll have to dig in the
projects box for a 3 pole relay. I know I have a multipole toggle switch
with suitable ratings but I'm not comfortable with doing testing with
it. Fingers get too close to the source of the magic smoke.

I picked up several boxes of various relay's, control panels, motor
starters, etc. Suppose I should do an inventory.

Robert Swinney wrote:
Take a look at www.metalwebnews.com. Scroll down to "Electrical - Phase Converter Information"
then to "Induction Motors and Phase Converters". There you will find some examples of start and
run circuits that will be much safer than plugging twist locks in under load.

Bob Swinney

"RoyJ" wrote in message ...
I've got a spare 3 phase Leeson 1-1/2 hp motor I need to test out and
use on a temporary project. Of course the wiring diagram is missing. It
has 6 leads numbered 1 through 5 and a #8. I know what to do with 9
wire units, this one is very likely a single voltage unit, 208/230 volt.
What is the most likely wiring configuration? I can guess but I usually
need to replace a fuse or two before I get it right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

An update.

I got a chance to look at it more carefully. 1 to 2 reads 1.1 ohm. 3 to
4 reads 1.1 ohm. 5 and 8 read nothing to anything. I'll pull it apart,
see if there is a burned or open winding but I suspect it is toast.

"RoyJ" wrote in message
I've got a spare 3 phase Leeson 1-1/2 hp motor I need to test out and
use on a temporary project. Of course the wiring diagram is missing. It
has 6 leads numbered 1 through 5 and a #8. I know what to do with 9
wire units, this one is very likely a single voltage unit, 208/230 volt.
What is the most likely wiring configuration? I can guess but I usually
need to replace a fuse or two before I get it right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What does 4:1 read ? is it a delta or a wye and are 5 and 8 center taps or
taps on two windings ? - e.g. 7 reads xx to 1...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

"RoyJ" wrote in message
I've got a spare 3 phase Leeson 1-1/2 hp motor I need to test out and
use on a temporary project. Of course the wiring diagram is missing. It
has 6 leads numbered 1 through 5 and a #8. I know what to do with 9
wire units, this one is very likely a single voltage unit, 208/230
volt.
What is the most likely wiring configuration? I can guess but I
usually
need to replace a fuse or two before I get it right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Any one want to do an "I should have told you so"????

I was told the offending motor was a 3 phase unit. I needed a 3 phase
for the project, I BELIEVED the motor was a 3 phase. So I conveniently
ignored the cap in the bump on the case. And I even ignored the starting
switch to the cap when I tore it apart.

Turned out to be a dual voltage, cap start, 208/240v, single phase with
all leads brought out to the outside like a 3 phase.