DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Old Skil Saw (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/235005-old-skil-saw.html)

DanG February 25th 08 03:44 AM

Old Skil Saw

One of the fellas at work brought in a strange piece. It is a
Skil Saw Model J. The largest blade you could put on this saw
would be 5". The shoe is about 2 1/2" wide. There is no blade
guard. It does not have a trigger switch, it is an on-off ball
ended toggle. Yes, this thing is dangerous by today's standards.
It is a full barrel saw. The castings do not match a Model E or a
77, but the diameter and length are within fractions.

Does anyone have any information about this critter? I have sent
off to Skil, but have not gotten any response.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Gerald Miller February 25th 08 04:07 AM

Old Skil Saw

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:44:58 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

One of the fellas at work brought in a strange piece. It is a
Skil Saw Model J. The largest blade you could put on this saw
would be 5". The shoe is about 2 1/2" wide. There is no blade
guard. It does not have a trigger switch, it is an on-off ball
ended toggle. Yes, this thing is dangerous by today's standards.
It is a full barrel saw. The castings do not match a Model E or a
77, but the diameter and length are within fractions.

Does anyone have any information about this critter? I have sent
off to Skil, but have not gotten any response.

I have a similar saw made by "Power Electric Tools" that I haven't
gotten to yet other than to cut the frayed cord off.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

DanG February 25th 08 04:46 AM

Old Skil Saw

This one runs like the day it was new. It very definitely has the
original factory name plate: SKIL SAW in all capital letters, I
don't have the serial number here.

--
______________________________

mc February 25th 08 04:53 AM

Old Skil Saw

5 1/2-inch handheld circular saws used to be common, even predominant
(before 1960 or so). I have a Black & Decker one from the 1970s that I like
because it is so lightweight. Blades are still available.

RAM³ February 25th 08 05:53 AM

Old Skil Saw

"mc" wrote in
:

5 1/2-inch handheld circular saws used to be common, even predominant
(before 1960 or so). I have a Black & Decker one from the 1970s that
I like because it is so lightweight. Blades are still available.

They're even back in production again.

I bought one - on sale - about a year ago.

Lightweight plastic housing makes it very easy to handle.

For heavier work, though, I've an old Singer-made Craftsman Commercial
7 1/4" saw with a cast Aluminum housing [heavy thing] that's easier to keep
going straight on long cuts.

William Noble February 25th 08 06:40 AM

Old Skil Saw

I have one of those - I dont' like the lack of blade guard, so I don't use
it - it's available if anyone wants it

DanG February 25th 08 12:02 PM

Old Skil Saw

William,

I would like a picture of yours, if possible. There is a hinge
point at the back of shoe on this one that leaves me curious. If
you truly don't want yours, what kind of shipping or whatever?

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

.. .

William Noble February 26th 08 07:56 AM

Old Skil Saw

well, I looked, mine is Crafstman, not skill brand - it's under
miscellaneous for sale on my web page (www.wbnoble.com) - but the picture
disappeared - I'll try to take another one and update the site "some day
soon" - meanwhile - $5 plus shipping if you want it