Old February 25th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default what metal/thickness to make 4 burner griddle for gas stove

Back in the '80s I bought a Lodge cast iron griddle. It fits neatly over 2
burners on a gas range, and works very well indeed. It is really well seasoned
and is now practically nonstick. It wasn't that expensive and they are still
sold. Before you do anything, I'd consider what you can buy inexpensively.

Grant

Old February 25th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

He already has a double griddle, needs a BIG one for BIG appetites.

But the Lodge cookware is good stuff. I have some items, need to pick up
a pan for jambalaya. Price is right: a 10" cast iron pan is less than
$10 at my local.

Old February 25th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ wrote:

He already has a double griddle, needs a BIG one for BIG appetites.

But the Lodge cookware is good stuff. I have some items, need to pick up
a pan for jambalaya. Price is right: a 10" cast iron pan is less than
$10 at my local.

That's true, Roy, but if you want a No. 8 cast iron skillet (10" dia.)
you should consider buying a vintage Griswold skillet. It is much lighter
than the Lodge pan, and probably will never crack if you put cold water on
a hot pan. It will appreciate in value.

I once saw a cast iron skillet lid in a junk pile. I asked if I could have it
and the guy looked at me incredulously and said sure, if I wanted it. I bead
blasted it and seasoned it and listed it on ebay (it was a Griswold No. 12
lid) and it sold for an insane $132 and the buyer was ecstatic to get such
a deal.

No, I never went back and told the junk pile guy how much his junk went for.
That would be cruel and unusual punishment.

But no. 8 skillets go much more reasonably.

Grant
Old February 25th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The new Lodge pans are considerably thinner and lighter than the older
ones I got years ago. Plus they are not ground on the inside, you just
get the fine grain cast iron. My 10" Dutch Oven weighs 15 pounds with a
lid, the new pan is a flyweight by comparison.

I'm not going to use it for frying, I want the stovetop to oven
capabilities with the heat characteristics of cast iron.