Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT but a little metal content

I'm planning to build a fence for the yard, using 6" Cedar pickets and
ACQ lumber for the horizontal pieces.

My question is about the type of screws to use. I have been told that
the 'green ceramic' ones are what I need (they're rather expensive) as
I don't want screws that are going to rust, or do anything to discolor
the pickets.

I would appreciate your comments on this choice, please.

TIA

Lewis.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:28:36 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor
qualm, " quickly quoth:

I'm planning to build a fence for the yard, using 6" Cedar pickets and
ACQ lumber for the horizontal pieces.

My question is about the type of screws to use. I have been told that
the 'green ceramic' ones are what I need (they're rather expensive) as
I don't want screws that are going to rust, or do anything to discolor
the pickets.

The new ACQ lumber is almost always brown. I use the primed deck
screws. They're a bit more expensive at $4.50/lb but they don't
corrode in a year like untreated screws would.

ACQ needs triple galv hardware, stainless hardware, or primed hardware
to last. Think what the extra labor will cost if you don't use it.

---
Every moment is a golden one
for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
-- Henry Miller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm planning to build a fence for the yard, using 6" Cedar pickets and
ACQ lumber for the horizontal pieces.

My question is about the type of screws to use. I have been told that
the 'green ceramic' ones are what I need (they're rather expensive) as
I don't want screws that are going to rust, or do anything to discolor
the pickets.

I would appreciate your comments on this choice, please.

TIA

Lewis.

"Green Ceramic" or "brown ceramic" will both work. The only other
screw that stands a chance longterm is stainless steel.
ACQ is EXTREMELY corrosive to steel and aluminum. Heavy hot dipped
galvanize bolts can be used for structural fasteners, butanything less
has an EXTREMELY LIMITED lifespan.

The guys building pole barns and poultry buildings are finding this
out.
Build with standard hardware and the barn becomes unsafe in about 5
years, at best. Carbon steel or aluminum siding in contact with the
treated wood corrodes throughin as little as a year or less.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
" wrote:

My question is about the type of screws to use. I have been told that
the 'green ceramic' ones are what I need (they're rather expensive) as
I don't want screws that are going to rust, or do anything to discolor
the pickets.

The ceramic ones resist rust but are brittle and tend to break if you
ever have to remove them. Use SS.