Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default making u-channel

I need some u-channel that is an odd size. I want the stock to be about
1/16 inch thick or less and the dimensions would be: 1/8" x 3/8" x 12"

Can I make this myself without the use of a brake while still having
right-angles? Can I have sheetmetal worker fabricate this cheaply?

matthew
ohio
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

MatthewK wrote:
I need some u-channel that is an odd size. I want the stock to be about
1/16 inch thick or less and the dimensions would be: 1/8" x 3/8" x 12"

Can I make this myself without the use of a brake while still having
right-angles? Can I have sheetmetal worker fabricate this cheaply?

What material? What tolerance? How many?

That bend radius is a show stopper regardless.

I would mill a piece of 1/8 x 3/8 bar and run a 1/4" cutter down the center of one side
say, 1/16" deep. You could do that in aluminum or steel or plastic and have nice sharp
corners.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 21, 10:21 am, Winston wrote:
MatthewK wrote:
I need some u-channel that is an odd size. I want the stock to be about
1/16 inch thick or less and the dimensions would be: 1/8" x 3/8" x 12"

Can I make this myself without the use of a brake while still having
right-angles? Can I have sheetmetal worker fabricate this cheaply?

What material? What tolerance? How many?

--Winston

What Winston said.

If you are trying to build a channel with 1/8" long legs, and 3/8"
outside dimension, 12" long you may have a problem. The legs are too
short for a press brake. A box and pan brake will do the job, but may
need a block to act as a female form inside the channel.

Tolerance is a big issue.

If I needed to make at least 5, with +-.010", I'd make a die set from
Ironwood. Cheaper than Aluminum, can be worked with wood tools. An
Ironwood die set shaould last for a hundred parts or more.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* Winston wrote:
MatthewK wrote:
I need some u-channel that is an odd size. I want the stock to be about
1/16 inch thick or less and the dimensions would be: 1/8" x 3/8" x 12"

Can I make this myself without the use of a brake while still having
right-angles? Can I have sheetmetal worker fabricate this cheaply?

What material? What tolerance? How many?

Sorry about forgeting the important parts.

Brass or aluminum. Tolerence...maybe as much as 1/32.

matthew
ohio

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

MatthewK wrote:
I need some u-channel that is an odd size. I want the stock to be about
1/16 inch thick or less and the dimensions would be: 1/8" x 3/8" x 12"

Can I make this myself without the use of a brake while still having
right-angles? Can I have sheetmetal worker fabricate this cheaply?

What material? What tolerance? How many?

--Winston

If you are trying to build a channel with 1/8" long legs, and 3/8"
outside dimension, 12" long you may have a problem. The legs are too
short for a press brake. A box and pan brake will do the job, but may
need a block to act as a female form inside the channel.

Thanks for the lead.

Tolerance is a big issue.

For this project tolerance is not a huge factor. +-.015 or maybe more.

If I needed to make at least 5, with +-.010", I'd make a die set from
Ironwood. Cheaper than Aluminum, can be worked with wood tools. An
Ironwood die set shaould last for a hundred parts or more.

matthew
ohio

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm stunned, somebody actually read and responded, thank you.

If you decide to build a single purpose die set, of any material.

A depression to position the pre-cut blank is required.
Ejector pins/holes should be drilled to kick out the part.

And, yes, this I'm thinking of a die that could be put on a firm table
and whacked with a dead blow hammer a few times.

Again, QUANTITY???
Dave

MatthewK wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 21, 9:37*am, MatthewK wrote:
I need some u-channel that is an odd size. I want the stock to be about
1/16 inch thick or less and the dimensions would be: 1/8" x 3/8" x 12"

Square brass tubing is a common hobby-shop item; my old
Small Parts catalog lists 3/8" square with .028" wall,
you could saw a length into two channels.

Some aluminum extrusions (like for picture frames) could
also be suitable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* Mechanical Magic wrote:
I'm stunned, somebody actually read and responded, thank you.

Thanks for the help. I post like this on a big newsgroup could easily
be over looked.

If you decide to build a single purpose die set, of any material.

A depression to position the pre-cut blank is required.
Ejector pins/holes should be drilled to kick out the part.

And, yes, this I'm thinking of a die that could be put on a firm table
and whacked with a dead blow hammer a few times.

This sounds great. I think I've come acrossed this in my google search
but the process was just mentioned and you explained it better.

Again, QUANTITY???

5-10 parts are planned for now.

matthew
ohio