Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Leaky valve problem

I have a gate valve with a small leak I need to fix. The valve is
stainless and in good condition but has a very small leak when closed
tightly. It's a 3" valve with a non-standard flange so replacement is
out of the question. The valve will be seldom operated and I could live
with a fix that sealed the valve tight and allowed the valve to be
opened ONCE (for a fire hose connection).

The big complication is that the valve is welded together and cannot be
taken apart.

I was thinking of putting a thin sheet of plastic on the gate, but if it
washed off when opened it might jam something. Maybe just a thin bead
of silicone on the upstream side? It's a water gravity system with only
5' of water head so pressure is extremely low.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:

I have a gate valve with a small leak I need to fix. The valve is
stainless and in good condition but has a very small leak when closed
tightly. It's a 3" valve with a non-standard flange so replacement is
out of the question. The valve will be seldom operated and I could live
with a fix that sealed the valve tight and allowed the valve to be
opened ONCE (for a fire hose connection).

The big complication is that the valve is welded together and cannot be
taken apart.

I was thinking of putting a thin sheet of plastic on the gate, but if it
washed off when opened it might jam something. Maybe just a thin bead
of silicone on the upstream side? It's a water gravity system with only
5' of water head so pressure is extremely low.

If you have the valve out of the system, and apparently you do, open the
gate fully and check the seat under the gate for corrosion or dirt that
keeps the gate from going completely closed. That may eliminate the
problem. If that's not it perhaps placing a thin bead of silicone under
the gate and allowing it to cure before closing the gate will solve the
problem.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 20, 7:55 am, nick hull wrote:
I have a gate valve with a small leak I need to fix. The valve is
stainless and in good condition but has a very small leak when closed
tightly. It's a 3" valve with a non-standard flange so replacement is
out of the question. The valve will be seldom operated and I could live
with a fix that sealed the valve tight and allowed the valve to be
opened ONCE (for a fire hose connection).

The big complication is that the valve is welded together and cannot be
taken apart.

I was thinking of putting a thin sheet of plastic on the gate, but if it
washed off when opened it might jam something. Maybe just a thin bead
of silicone on the upstream side? It's a water gravity system with only
5' of water head so pressure is extremely low.

I don't have lots of experience, but every gate valve I have seen (5
or 6 of them) leaked some when closed. I think that the silicone
sound like a good idea, but I would think that the downstream side
would be better since any (even your low) water pressure would force
the gate into the silicone rather than away from it.

Carl Boyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

If you have the valve out of the system, and apparently you do, open the
gate fully and check the seat under the gate for corrosion or dirt that
keeps the gate from going completely closed. That may eliminate the
problem. If that's not it perhaps placing a thin bead of silicone under
the gate and allowing it to cure before closing the gate will solve the

Rather than RTV silicone (caulk), I'd suggest either silicone grease (I
prefer the high-vacuum type - it's pure and pretty stiff - some of the
automotive variety I've met is thinner) or beeswax (buy a toilet seal
ring) on the sealing surface.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:
If you have the valve out of the system, and apparently you do, open the
gate fully and check the seat under the gate for corrosion or dirt that
keeps the gate from going completely closed. That may eliminate the
problem. If that's not it perhaps placing a thin bead of silicone under
the gate and allowing it to cure before closing the gate will solve the

Rather than RTV silicone (caulk), I'd suggest either silicone grease (I
prefer the high-vacuum type - it's pure and pretty stiff - some of the
automotive variety I've met is thinner) or beeswax (buy a toilet seal
ring) on the sealing surface.

Can you machine a small o-ring groove in the down stream face of the
valve disk an glue in a small o-ring? This would be a permanent
fix.

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:
I have a gate valve with a small leak I need to fix.

After removing the gate assembly, you will probably see crud trapped in the valve seat.
Remove crud and clean innards, lubricate with silicone grease and reassemble.

....Would be my advice.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You could put a cap on the output pipe. With a couple of nice handles
for easy & fast removal. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:
In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

You could put a cap on the output pipe. With a couple of nice handles
for easy & fast removal. Bob

I'll probably do that in any case. The cap will cost $44 (2,5"
firehose) ;(

Nick, If it's going to feed a pump or a nozzle make sure that anything
you put on it cannot come off easily. Loose crud doesn't help a nozzle.
We use a silicon grease on the valves on our rigs. Shame you aren't
closer we have a LOT of spare 2.5" stuff around the station.

That price for an NST thread cap is WAY high. We buy them for about 10
bucks for the lightweight aluminum and 22 for brass. Check with a local
station or service shop.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article jF%uj.7161$0%3.1998@trnddc06,
Winston wrote:

nick hull wrote:
I have a gate valve with a small leak I need to fix.

After removing the gate assembly, you will probably see crud trapped in the
valve seat.
Remove crud and clean innards, lubricate with silicone grease and reassemble.

...Would be my advice.

--Winston

I cannot see or feel any crud. I can feel most of the seat, except the
top where the disk is in the way even when fully open.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
You could put a cap on the output pipe. ...

I'll probably do that in any case.

Well, that's all you'll need - it's only holding 2 1/2 psi (when the
leak has filled behind it) and the valve will hold back all but the leak
when you take the cap off.

The cap will cost $44 (2,5" firehose)

I know that you have a lathe! BG

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

nick hull wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
You could put a cap on the output pipe. ...

I'll probably do that in any case.

Well, that's all you'll need - it's only holding 2 1/2 psi (when the
leak has filled behind it) and the valve will hold back all but the leak
when you take the cap off.

The cap will cost $44 (2,5" firehose)

I know that you have a lathe! BG

Yes but the firehose thread is 7 tpi, not listed on my change gear
charts ;(

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:21:40 -0600, nick hull wrote:

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

nick hull wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
You could put a cap on the output pipe. ...

I'll probably do that in any case.

Well, that's all you'll need - it's only holding 2 1/2 psi (when the
leak has filled behind it) and the valve will hold back all but the leak
when you take the cap off.

The cap will cost $44 (2,5" firehose)

I know that you have a lathe! BG

Yes but the firehose thread is 7 tpi, not listed on my change gear
charts ;(

On my lathe, I have to swap the stud gear from 24 tooth to 48. Then I
get 4 - 7 instead of 8 - 14. Could you do similar somewhere in your
gear train?

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 22, 8:18*am, nick hull wrote:
My error, the thread I need is 7 1/2 tpi ;(

Do you have a friend with a South Bend 10L? 7-1/2 is on the 70 speed
gearbox.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:18:32 -0600, nick hull wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

nick hull wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
You could put a cap on the output pipe. ...

I'll probably do that in any case.

Well, that's all you'll need - it's only holding 2 1/2 psi (when the
leak has filled behind it) and the valve will hold back all but the leak
when you take the cap off.

The cap will cost $44 (2,5" firehose)

I know that you have a lathe! BG

Yes but the firehose thread is 7 tpi, not listed on my change gear
charts ;(

On my lathe, I have to swap the stud gear from 24 tooth to 48. Then I
get 4 - 7 instead of 8 - 14. Could you do similar somewhere in your
gear train?

My error, the thread I need is 7 1/2 tpi ;(

Nope, can't do that one, sorry. It jumps from 7 to 8, although it
does 6-1/2 and 6-3/4. Now that's a goofy pitch.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was the Engineering Officer on two Coast Guard Cutters, Auxiliary
Chief on one, Main Prop Chief on another, and general engineer on my
first. When a cutter is in drydock the skin valves and other important
valves are routinely removed and tested (the inlet side of the valve is
filled with water and a blank flange with an water fitting attached is
bolted to the valve flange. A predetermined amount of pressure is added
through the fitting (150% of the working pressure? I don't recall
exactly)). A specified amount of leakage is allowed depending on the
size and type of the valve, and the normal operating pressure of the
system. The quantity allowed is in Chapter 505 of the Naval Ships
Technical Manual (NSTM) titled Piping Systems. Small valves did not
allow any leakage, whereas larger valves were allowed XX drops per
minute. Some valves (again depending on the type) weren't allowed any
leakge (ball valves?). I tried to find a copy of this chapter (505) of
the NSTM online without any luck ,to give as a link. I'm sure there are
specifications elsewhere in the civilian world.

I did find two chapters that may be of interest to this group (at
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/nstm/ .); Chapter 075 -
Fasteners and Chapter 613 - Wire and Fiber Rope Rigging. One chapter I
couldn't find was Chapter 078 - Seals that is VERY good reading. I wish
now I had kept copies of some of these manuals when I retired as they
are is very good and can be very pertinent to our hobby/job.

Dave Young