Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mist cooler

Gunner's recommendation in another thread regarding his mist cooler
got me interested in looking at these since it would prolong the life
of my end mills and I could use it on my lathe as well.

The one he mentions here
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...m_source=froog
he says is overkill, but apparently he likes it.

Wholesale Tool's low end is this one
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...Coolant_System
Is it any good?

What make / model of mist cooler do you have and like?

Any features that are particularly desirable to have or things to look
out for?

Any better prices than these from Wholesale Tool?

Favorite mist coolant? Non-rusting homebrew coolant???

RWL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...cpc&utm_source
=froog
he says is overkill, but apparently he likes it.

Wholesale Tool's low end is this one
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...Coolant_System
Is it any good?

What make / model of mist cooler do you have and like?

Any features that are particularly desirable to have or things to look
out for?

Any better prices than these from Wholesale Tool?

Favorite mist coolant? Non-rusting homebrew coolant???

RWL

I have one similar to:

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...te_Starter_Kit

(Mine is probably an older version.)

I am quite happy with it, except for one small detail (not really the fault
of the
equipment...) As long as I use it frequently, it works well. But if it
sits for a
while, it plugs up and needs to be disassembled for a thorough cleaning to
get
it working again properly.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jerry Foster writes:

http://www.wttool.com/product-

exec/product_id/5687/nm/Kool_Lite_Starter
_Kit

(Mine is probably an older version.)

I am quite happy with it, except for one small detail (not really the
fault of the
equipment...) As long as I use it frequently, it works well. But if
it sits for a
while, it plugs up and needs to be disassembled for a thorough
cleaning to get
it working again properly.

I have that item too, as sold by Enco.

Both the needle valve and foot valve clog up from the "stuff" depositing
on them when they sit unused for weeks. I put a brass barb in the
liquid line
so I can separate them and puff them loose again.

Another problem with the Enco version is the Loc-Line cracks where it
joins to the brass fitting. Pain to repair because there's a tube
running down the core, so you can't just shorten it one link.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a "Cool Mist" brand. I like mist lube/coolers.

That said, there are problems, as mentioned before. I have mine wired
with solenoids to the spindle drive, air and coolant. My issue is
that it seem to be using WAY too much air, blowing mist all over the
shop. I went so far as to make a spacer that gets the max vac with
min air flow. Then had to add a coolant filter. Maybe I'm just
pickey. My coolant tank is located above the venturi, so I get more
lube than designed, another reason for the solenoid valves.
But, I use it a lot.
Dave

On Feb 18, 8:08 pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:
Gunner's recommendation in another thread regarding his mist cooler
got me interested in looking at these since it would prolong the life
of my end mills and I could use it on my lathe as well.

The one he mentions herehttp://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/5675?utm_medium=cpc&utm...
he says is overkill, but apparently he likes it.

Wholesale Tool's low end is this onehttp://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/5692/nm/Mist_Coolant_Sy...
Is it any good?

What make / model of mist cooler do you have and like?

Any features that are particularly desirable to have or things to look
out for?

Any better prices than these from Wholesale Tool?

Favorite mist coolant? Non-rusting homebrew coolant???

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Gunner's recommendation in another thread regarding his mist cooler
got me interested in looking at these since it would prolong the life
of my end mills and I could use it on my lathe as well.

The one he mentions

herehttp://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/5675?utm_medium=cpc&utm...
he says is overkill, but apparently he likes it.

Wholesale Tool's low end is this

onehttp://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/5692/nm/Mist_Coolant_Sy...
Is it any good?

What make / model of mist cooler do you have and like?

Any features that are particularly desirable to have or things to look
out for?

Any better prices than these from Wholesale Tool?

Favorite mist coolant? Non-rusting homebrew coolant???

RWL

A master machinist friend of mine strongly dislikes mist coolers because
they raise the humidity of the shop. I've never had that problem since my
shop is well-ventilated. But, if you have a tightly enclosed (heated/air
conditioned) shop or are in an already damp location (basement?), it may be
a concern.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jerry Foster" wrote:

A master machinist friend of mine strongly dislikes mist coolers because
they raise the humidity of the shop. I've never had that problem since my
shop is well-ventilated. But, if you have a tightly enclosed (heated/air
conditioned) shop or are in an already damp location (basement?), it may be
a concern.

I've been interested in mist cooling but realized that since my metal shop
is also my wood shop it likely would not be good for all my wood seasoning
in the wood racks. I'm wondering if just straight air to avoid recutting
chips might get a fair percentage of increased tool life that a mister can
provide.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My issue is
that it seem to be using WAY too much air, blowing mist all over the
shop.

I use a single-hose unit, and cool-mist with water. Works great, but i don't
use it all day. Humidity isn't an issue, I heat with wood, or leave all
doors and windows open when weather is good. I don't like the idea of
breathing the fog, so even in winter I place a fan in the nearest window to
blow the mist outside.
I am curious as to the long-term effects on the machine, I always find
coolant when I move the vise, but no rust so far.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:55:37 -0800 (PST), Mechanical Magic
wrote:

I have a "Cool Mist" brand. I like mist lube/coolers.

That said, there are problems, as mentioned before. I have mine wired
with solenoids to the spindle drive, air and coolant. My issue is
that it seem to be using WAY too much air, blowing mist all over the
shop. I went so far as to make a spacer that gets the max vac with
min air flow. Then had to add a coolant filter. Maybe I'm just
pickey. My coolant tank is located above the venturi, so I get more
lube than designed, another reason for the solenoid valves.
But, I use it a lot.
Dave

Mine are bolted to the sides of the mill columns, at or below table
level, so there is no natural syphon effect. no extra coolant thats
not needed during run time. My lathes use flood oil coolant.

Gunner

wrote:
Gunner's recommendation in another thread regarding his mist cooler
got me interested in looking at these since it would prolong the life
of my end mills and I could use it on my lathe as well.

The one he mentions herehttp://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/5675?utm_medium=cpc&utm...
he says is overkill, but apparently he likes it.

Wholesale Tool's low end is this onehttp://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/5692/nm/Mist_Coolant_Sy...
Is it any good?

What make / model of mist cooler do you have and like?

Any features that are particularly desirable to have or things to look
out for?

Any better prices than these from Wholesale Tool?

Favorite mist coolant? Non-rusting homebrew coolant???

RWL

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 18, 9:32 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Jerry Foster writes:
[...]

I thought I was the only one with the cracked Loc-Line joint. I tried
super glue and it held so I could finish the job, but have not tried
to shorten the line or try other methods of repair.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to those of you who replied.

RWL