Old February 18th 08, 05:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Order in the shop!

I am moving part of my "stuff" to a new room I built. I think I'll just
take in the inside repair stuff, fasteners, power tools, and things not
related to automotive or welding, which will stay in the garage. A lot of
fasteners, and a lot of them in the hang up plastic containers they come in.

For those, I can put rows of nails and just hang them.

I have three of those plastic drawer things to organize my nuts and bolts
and screws. Yeah, right. I need to sit for about a whole day and go
through everything just to reset it to zero, and get things straightened
out.

I went to the Borg, and they want $20+ per each of those plastic cabinets
with the drawers. And they don't have any really big ones much bigger than
16 x 18 or so. I kind of like them, as one can see what's in them through
the clear plastic, but they always end up jumbled. I have some of those
that have a cleat and hang on the wall, but they always end up filled with
sand and dust as they are open on the top. They're okay for the welding
hardware and rough stuff, but hard to find anything small like a machine
bolt or a particular screw.

I have been thinking of making some bins, but then again, there's the same
problem of them getting dirt and stuff in them over time, and it's hard to
see what's in there once the second layer of STUFF is started.

Anyone have any ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg like those spendy
drawer organizers sold at suppliers? $20 for plastic is bad enough, but the
amounts they want for some of these is more than I've paid for a used car.

Maybe it's time to do the old baby jar thing, but my wrists aren't the best.

Ideas appreciated.

Steve

Old February 18th 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

plastic organizers are not sturdy enough for nuts and bolts, so for
more serious quantities, it is better to go for steel drawer cabinets,
huots etc. But in a pinch, smaller plastic 3-drawer cabinets will
work.

Old February 18th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:28:19 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

I have close to 100 half pound tobacco tins on the open side ( other
side of the studs is sheathed with OSB) resting on horizontal 1 x 2"
strapping - 3 per stud space. The plastic capped tins that salted nuts
etc. come in would also work. When I had my shop in the cinder block
garage at the previous house, I made a rack of 1 x 3" verticals with 1
x2" horizontal strapping mounted to the wall. I avoid glass jars at
all costs due to danger of breakage. Pill bottles are handy for small
items.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old February 18th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Put out a call for the old IBM punch card cabinets. Usually 20
drawers each, each drawer can be removed individually , rolller
glides, heavy duty, and are easily subdivided.

They are about the size of regular filing cabinets, but the drawers
are much shallower. Make GREAT tool and parts cabinets

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Old February 18th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Sam's has a very nice Metro clone bin rack setup for $99. Just put the
small packages of stuff in the bins. I've got one setup and will
probably get another. Bin for wood screws, bin for bolts, bin for
electrical parts, bin for tape, etc. Works well.

Old February 18th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

Anyone have any ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg like those spendy
drawer organizers sold at suppliers? $20 for plastic is bad enough, but the
amounts they want for some of these is more than I've paid for a used car.

Maybe it's time to do the old baby jar thing, but my wrists aren't the best.

I'm a traditionalist. I use coffee cans - they have lids, and fit on
shelves. But I'm also a radical cutting edge kinda guy - I put labels on
them, with an ideal of a label that can be read from any side (typically
3 ways works OK). I also use some other containers we have a lot of
through typical use - big stuff goes in cat litter buckets, etc.

Old February 18th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm partial to instant iced tea (decaf is better for your body!) that
comes in 3"x9" straight sided glass jars. Over the years I've got 100
plus of them. Nail the lids to 1x4, nail 1x4 to ceiling joists. Just the
right size for the large collections of bulk bolts, bulk buys of pop
rivets, and all the rest. Upside is you can see what's in each
container. Downside is the occasional broken jar. An added plus: the
joist space above the jars is great for storing pipe clamps, florescent
bulbs and the like.

Old February 18th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use plastic containers with lids. Large plastic containers that is.
If you have a Big Lots near you, they have some Stirling (I think)
under bed containers with lid. They are about 15" x 30" x 8". I think
they were about 8-bucks.

For some of the larger stuff like grinding wheels and buffs, I make
dividers with strips of ply wood that interlock like cardboard
separators in a case of wine.

I also use square food containers without lids and fill the under bed
tray so they stay pretty much in place. The large under bed thing sits
on a shelf and I only have to open a single lid to see what's inside.
I label the under bed thing with "Wood/Metal screws", "SAE Bolts/
nuts" etc.

Often HF also has specials (less than 20c per) on those rear hang
parts bins and I get a bunch of those and put them inside the under
bed thing.

I also have two carriers for the rear hang parts bin. I got a 4' x 4'
sheet of 3/4" particle board, mounted to a base with some casters and
side supports then stapled the parts bin racks to the 4' x 4'. I have
a curtain made from a table cloth from a swap meet (80c) that I drop
over the lot to keep them dust free.

Dave
Old February 18th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

I picked up a bunch of those cheap HF grey bins that mount on the wall.
Looked at them and decided that they would collect a bunch of dust and
crud. So I hit the Wal~Mart and picked up some of the heavy clear vinyl
they have. Mounted the bins and then made a narrow shelf over the top
and attached the vinyl to the shelf. I cut the vinyl so it overlaps with
2' sections (like a flap door barrier) Now the crud doesn't collect in
the bins and I can look in and grab what I need easily.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old February 18th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:28:09 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor
qualm, "Dave, I can't do that" quickly quoth:

[...]

I got some of those but haven't put them up yet. I'm trying to figure
out a dust control system first. Maybe a stitched fabric cover with
plastic insert will do it.

I also have two carriers for the rear hang parts bin. I got a 4' x 4'
sheet of 3/4" particle board, mounted to a base with some casters and
side supports then stapled the parts bin racks to the 4' x 4'. I have
a curtain made from a table cloth from a swap meet (80c) that I drop
over the lot to keep them dust free.

Has anyone tried their new $97 parts bin on wheels? It has been in
their email ads for the past couple weeks. I'm no longer happy with
the concept of open parts bins any more, as my woodworking is way too
dusty. (Bins sold separately? Feh!)
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=93578

OT humor follows:

This Just In: Pope Camping Trip

The Pope took a couple of days off to visit the mountains of Alaska
for some sight-seeing. He was cruising along the campground in the
Pope-mobile when there was a frantic commotion just at the edge of
the woods.

A helpless Democrat, wearing sandals, shorts, a "Save the Whales"
hat, and a "To Hell with Bush" T-shirt, was screaming while struggling
frantically, thrashing around trying to free himself from the grasp
of a 10 foot grizzly bear.

As the Pope watched horrified, a group of Republican loggers came
racing up. One quickly fired a .44 magnum into the bear's chest. The
other two reached up and pulled the bleeding, semiconscious Democrat
from the bear's grasp. Then using long clubs, the three loggers
finished off the bear and two of them threw it onto the bed of their
truck while the third tenderly placed the injured Democrat in the back
seat.

As they prepared to leave, the Pope summoned them to come over. "I
give you my blessing for your brave actions!" he told them. "I heard
there was a bitter hatred between Republican loggers and Democratic
environmental activists but now I've seen with my own eyes that this
is not true ."

As the Pope drove off, one of the loggers asked his buddies, "Who was
that guy?"

"It was the Pope," another replied. "He's in direct contact with
heaven and has access to all wisdom."

"Well," the logger said, "he may have access to all wisdom but he sure
don't know anything about bear hunting! How Is the bait holding up?"

--

SALMON -- The Other Pink Meat

First KBC order Louis Ohland Metalworking 0 July 30th 07 07:27 PM
Shop Dogs and Cats - Bah! Shop Doves? Andy Woodworking 14 April 22nd 06 09:30 PM
Big Order Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 10th 06 07:22 PM
BIG OL' ORDER PLACED Highland Pairos Woodworking 10 February 14th 05 06:37 PM
Shop equipment, and a machine shop class question.. Paul Metalworking 3 January 3rd 04 02:10 PM