Old February 18th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Order in the shop!

On Feb 18, 12:28*am, "SteveB" wrote:
Anyone have any ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg like those spendy
drawer organizers sold at suppliers? *$20 for plastic is bad enough, but the
amounts they want for some of these is more than I've paid for a used car.

Steve

I keep a small stock of hardware in plastic drawers in the shop and
the excess in food containers etc out back in the shed. They're sorted
by thread size and material but not length or head type since it's
easy to pick out matches to the one I'm holding. Stainless, brass,
aluminum and plastic are all in the same drawer because they are so
easy to tell apart. The only exception is separate drawers for short
screws which otherwise fall to the bottom under the long ones.

This greatly reduces the number of bins needed; almost every size I
need from #0 to 1/2" plus metric fits in two 13" Acro cabinets.

I made a stepped sorting gage with coarse threads from 1/4-20 to
1/2-13 on one end and fine threads on the other. Nuts and washers can
be quickly sized by slipping them on and screws by visual comparison.
It's also a nice work sample to take to job interviews.

Jim Wilkins

Old February 18th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 18, 12:28 am, "SteveB" wrote:
I am moving part of my "stuff" to a new room I built. I think I'll just
take in the inside repair stuff, fasteners, power tools, and things not
related to automotive or welding, which will stay in the garage. A lot of
fasteners, and a lot of them in the hang up plastic containers they come in.

For those, I can put rows of nails and just hang them.

I have three of those plastic drawer things to organize my nuts and bolts
and screws. Yeah, right. I need to sit for about a whole day and go
through everything just to reset it to zero, and get things straightened
out.

I went to the Borg, and they want $20+ per each of those plastic cabinets
with the drawers. And they don't have any really big ones much bigger than
16 x 18 or so. I kind of like them, as one can see what's in them through
the clear plastic, but they always end up jumbled. I have some of those
that have a cleat and hang on the wall, but they always end up filled with
sand and dust as they are open on the top. They're okay for the welding
hardware and rough stuff, but hard to find anything small like a machine
bolt or a particular screw.

I have been thinking of making some bins, but then again, there's the same
problem of them getting dirt and stuff in them over time, and it's hard to
see what's in there once the second layer of STUFF is started.

Anyone have any ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg like those spendy
drawer organizers sold at suppliers? $20 for plastic is bad enough, but the
amounts they want for some of these is more than I've paid for a used car.

Maybe it's time to do the old baby jar thing, but my wrists aren't the best.

Ideas appreciated.

Steve

i use the ziploc resealable lunch containers
usually taking a minute to label them at least by project using
masking tape and a sharpie

for shelving i make a wall of milk crates and lash them together on
their side with tiewraps and it allows me a lot of size flexibility to
put large tooling or small parts in the same cubbyholes
Old February 18th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:28:19 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I am moving part of my "stuff" to a new room I built. I think I'll just
take in the inside repair stuff, fasteners, power tools, and things not
related to automotive or welding, which will stay in the garage. A lot of
fasteners, and a lot of them in the hang up plastic containers they come in.

Plastic Sterlite drawers stacked on top of each other with different
containers (cutoff plastic bottles ect) holding various items in each
drawer. Best system I've used to date for misc fastners ect. Also
have smaller drawer system for reloading/flytying bench. Good product
for the money. ED
Old February 18th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am moving part of my "stuff" to a new room I built. *I think I'll just
take in the inside repair stuff, fasteners, power tools, and things not
related to automotive or welding, which will stay in the garage. *A lot of
fasteners, and a lot of them in the hang up plastic containers they come in.

Plastic Sterlite drawers stacked on top of each other with different
containers (cutoff plastic bottles ect) *holding various items in each
drawer. *Best system I've used to date for misc fastners ect. *Also
have smaller drawer system for reloading/flytying bench. Good product
for the money. *ED

I have them stacked 4 high and the bottom one has bowed out enough
that the drawers fell out of the tracks. Someday it will have plywood
reinforcements screwed to the sides.

Old February 18th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote

I picked up a bunch of those cheap HF grey bins that mount on the wall.
Looked at them and decided that they would collect a bunch of dust and
crud. So I hit the Wal~Mart and picked up some of the heavy clear vinyl
they have. Mounted the bins and then made a narrow shelf over the top and
attached the vinyl to the shelf. I cut the vinyl so it overlaps with 2'
sections (like a flap door barrier) Now the crud doesn't collect in the
bins and I can look in and grab what I need easily.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

I like it.

Old February 18th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am moving part of my "stuff" to a new room I built. I think I'll just
take in the inside repair stuff, fasteners, power tools, and things not
related to automotive or welding, which will stay in the garage. A lot of
fasteners, and a lot of them in the hang up plastic containers they come in.

Plastic Sterlite drawers stacked on top of each other with different
containers (cutoff plastic bottles ect) holding various items in each
drawer. Best system I've used to date for misc fastners ect. Also
have smaller drawer system for reloading/flytying bench. Good product
for the money. ED

That's pretty close to the way I do it too.

Large ones for power washer, HVLP painting gear, etc.

Smaller ones for angle grinders, soldering equipment, sanders.

Two large ones full of fiberglass materials and tools.

Lots of small peanut butter jars for fasteners, etc

Four large heavy duty shelf units paired back to back
against one wall with most stuff stahed there.

Works well.

Richard
Old February 19th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Canning jar time ? Normally cheap by the dozen or more.

Lids can be screwed under something.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old February 19th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use B-52 Film cans myself :-) They are more Man like. :-)

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

Anyone have any ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg like those spendy
drawer organizers sold at suppliers? $20 for plastic is bad enough, but the
amounts they want for some of these is more than I've paid for a used car.

Maybe it's time to do the old baby jar thing, but my wrists aren't the best.

I'm a traditionalist. I use coffee cans - they have lids, and fit on
shelves. But I'm also a radical cutting edge kinda guy - I put labels on
them, with an ideal of a label that can be read from any side (typically
3 ways works OK). I also use some other containers we have a lot of
through typical use - big stuff goes in cat litter buckets, etc.

Old February 19th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 18, 4:28 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Nah - your stuffed. If you have a logical, ordered mind, you would
have worked it out years ago. Just accept the chaos....the only thing
I fond that works is the plastic crate things that retail for a few
bucks each - I throw things of the same class in them, and then use
stick on labels to get some vague idea where things are.

So saying this, I just got back from the hardware store where I had to
buy some shade cloth fixing strips - I KNOW there is a box of them,
somewhere....

Regards,

Andrew VK3BFA.
Old February 19th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
I made a stepped sorting gage with coarse threads from 1/4-20 to
1/2-13 on one end and fine threads on the other. ...

'You have a picture? Bob

First KBC order Louis Ohland Metalworking 0 July 30th 07 07:27 PM
Shop Dogs and Cats - Bah! Shop Doves? Andy Woodworking 14 April 22nd 06 09:30 PM
Big Order Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 10th 06 07:22 PM
BIG OL' ORDER PLACED Highland Pairos Woodworking 10 February 14th 05 06:37 PM
Shop equipment, and a machine shop class question.. Paul Metalworking 3 January 3rd 04 02:10 PM