Old February 21st 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Belt sander: Smoke escape!

Thanks Don,

The motor spins freely, I suspect the 18A problem was something to do
with the switch/Relay combo. Maybe using just the start winding when I
wired in a conventional switch.

The motor works fine if I just connect direct to the two main wires,
it is just that I can't guarantee direction. {grin} Not all that good
for a belt sander. The motor obviously does not have a centrifgual
start-switch so I can't just add a start cap.

Perhaps you are right, time to replace it. Bummer. The best 15-bucks I
ever spent.

Dave

Old February 23rd 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-21, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Thanks Don,

The motor spins freely, I suspect the 18A problem was something to do
with the switch/Relay combo. Maybe using just the start winding when I
wired in a conventional switch.

Was the original switch provided with more than one pair of
terminals? Is there a mechanical linkage to the relay? If neither is
the case, I suspect that it is a problem with the relay itself. Either
welded contacts or a build-up of sandings to keep the armature from
moving, in which case it is applying power to the start winding full
time -- or never.

The motor works fine if I just connect direct to the two main wires,
it is just that I can't guarantee direction. {grin} Not all that good
for a belt sander. The motor obviously does not have a centrifgual
start-switch so I can't just add a start cap.

So -- dig into the relay and see what isn't working there.

Perhaps you are right, time to replace it. Bummer. The best 15-bucks I
ever spent.

Worth a try with the relay at least.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564