DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Educate me about end mills (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/233824-educate-me-about-end-mills.html)

Gunner Asch[_2_] February 12th 08 06:58 AM

Educate me about end mills

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:08:56 -0800, Frank Warner
wrote:

Over the years I've collected a variety of end mills, mostly from sets,
all center cutting, 2-flute and 4-flute (I understand the difference),
single end and double end. Must have 2 or 3 dozen of these in different
sizes, all dull.

In fact, they seem to go dull incredibly fast, although they cut fine
when brand new. Might be my technique, might be the mini mill (not
rigid enough), might be I'm not holding my mouth right. Might also be
because they are the cheapest end mills available so they can be sold
in sets for $35 or so.

Pay critical importance to the speed you are turning them, and how
fast you are feeding them into the work.

Do you actually know what the spindle speeds are? If so..try this...

http://www.whitney-tool.com/html/cal...SpeedFeed.html
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-milling.htm

Speed and feed calculators are of great help. Particularly for those
who dont mill enough to be able to See whats going on.

Most inexperienced folks tend to spin cutters way too fast and feed
too slow and burn the edges of the cutters off.

Blush..been there, done that..I was particularly bad about that when I
first started. Got a pretty good pile of dull (and broken, burned,
mangled, snapped etc etc) endmills going the first couple years, until
I learned better.

Gunner, who buys surplus tooling

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner Asch[_2_] February 13th 08 07:27 AM

Educate me about end mills

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:08:16 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:08:56 -0800, Frank Warner wrote:

I'm a part-time knifemaker with a mini mill. Mostly I use it for
drilling & tapping but occasionally need to ruin, er, machine a piece
with its regular milling capabilities. This can involve end cutting or
side cutting.

Over the years I've collected a variety of end mills, mostly from sets,
all center cutting, 2-flute and 4-flute (I understand the difference),
single end and double end. Must have 2 or 3 dozen of these in different
sizes, all dull.

In fact, they seem to go dull incredibly fast, although they cut fine
when brand new. Might be my technique, might be the mini mill (not rigid
enough), might be I'm not holding my mouth right. Might also be because
they are the cheapest end mills available so they can be sold in sets
for $35 or so.

So I'm looking to buy some quality end mills -- just straight, center
cutting mills, in basic sizes 1/8" 3/16" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" etc. And I want
them to last a little longer than the sets I've been buying.

I've got the MSC Big Book in front of me, and there's a bewildering
arrays of brands, styles, materials, coatings, functions, and I presume
quality. So I just don't know where to start in making a decision about
which one(s) to buy. My budget is not unlimited so I can't afford to
experiment with tooling that won't do the job.

I am cutting mostly annealed carbon steels, stainless, damascus,
titanium, German silver and lots of softer stuff for scales and
embellishments. Most of this is just light cuts to straighten out an
edge or make multiple identical pieces. Shallow slots. I've used the
mill to cut the flats on hunting knives, taking 0.005" off at a time.
Even some freehand stuff for inlays. The rest of it is probably as
varied as the stuff you guys do.

If any of you have any recommendations, I'd be grateful for them, and
any other advice about end mills you'd care to share.

-Frank

Thanks for asking this question -- after looking at the links Gunner gave
I now understand why I lose an end mill every time I try to cut steel.

Next time I'll try for more patience.

Power feeds really really help. When ya are turning your own crank
G...you get bored easy and want to speed it up.

Does lubrication and/or coolant help?

Yes indeedy. I cheat, and use a mister. Valcool or other stuff. Ive
got a 5 gallon bucket of some sort of water soluable Stuff and I mix
it 25:1, and stick it in the mister. Shrug..works fine for me as long
as I dont try to force my crank.......chuckle

I dont know why, but a couple ounces of Dawn detergent in a gallon of
water works pretty well in a mister for steel and aluminum.

I ran out once and racked my lil pea brain for something with good
wetting and some lubricity. Worked well enough.

This is a bit overkill, but works good

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...m_source=froog

I use old articulated mag bases to hold the nozzels where I want them.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Frank Warner February 15th 08 06:08 PM

Educate me about end mills

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

TwoGuns February 15th 08 07:23 PM

Educate me about end mills

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:http://www.franksknives.com/

Fantastic knives Frank.

Dennis

Jon Elson[_2_] February 15th 08 08:29 PM

Educate me about end mills

Frank Warner wrote:
I'm a part-time knifemaker with a mini mill. Mostly I use it for
drilling & tapping but occasionally need to ruin, er, machine a piece
with its regular milling capabilities. This can involve end cutting or
side cutting.

Over the years I've collected a variety of end mills, mostly from sets,
all center cutting, 2-flute and 4-flute (I understand the difference),
single end and double end. Must have 2 or 3 dozen of these in different
sizes, all dull.

In fact, they seem to go dull incredibly fast, although they cut fine
when brand new. Might be my technique, might be the mini mill (not
rigid enough), might be I'm not holding my mouth right. Might also be
because they are the cheapest end mills available so they can be sold
in sets for $35 or so.

I use M-42 end mills now, and haven't bought any plain HSS in years.
The additional price is very little, the greater wear resistance is
remarkable. For 1/8" size I use solid carbide, I can get these for $3-4
on eBay. The no-name HSS Chinese stuff is junk.

Especially on stainless, don't make very shallow cuts or allow the
cutter to progress too slowly across the part. Either causes work
hardeneing, and the workpiece becomes harder than the tool. That's when
the burnout of the cutter happens. You have to keep up an aggressive
feed to prevent that.

Jon

Joseph Gwinn February 16th 08 02:29 AM

Educate me about end mills

In article ,
Frank Warner wrote:

I'm a part-time knifemaker with a mini mill. Mostly I use it for
drilling & tapping but occasionally need to ruin, er, machine a piece
with its regular milling capabilities. This can involve end cutting or
side cutting.

Over the years I've collected a variety of end mills, mostly from sets,
all center cutting, 2-flute and 4-flute (I understand the difference),
single end and double end. Must have 2 or 3 dozen of these in different
sizes, all dull.

In fact, they seem to go dull incredibly fast, although they cut fine
when brand new. Might be my technique, might be the mini mill (not
rigid enough), might be I'm not holding my mouth right. Might also be
because they are the cheapest end mills available so they can be sold
in sets for $35 or so.

Are you cutting dry? It sounds so to me. Using coolant will help
greatly. What I use is a Noga sprayer with Rustlick WS-5050 soluable
oil:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=5287143&PMT4NO=37949405

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1659454&PMT4NO=37949507

Despite MSC's photo, the one gallon size comes in a reasonable container.

So I'm looking to buy some quality end mills -- just straight, center
cutting mills, in basic sizes 1/8" 3/16" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" etc. And I want
them to last a little longer than the sets I've been buying.

I've got the MSC Big Book in front of me, and there's a bewildering
arrays of brands, styles, materials, coatings, functions, and I presume
quality. So I just don't know where to start in making a decision about
which one(s) to buy. My budget is not unlimited so I can't afford to
experiment with tooling that won't do the job.

I buy used endmills locally. It's a good way to start.

I am cutting mostly annealed carbon steels, stainless, damascus,
titanium, German silver and lots of softer stuff for scales and
embellishments.

These are very different materials, and require different techniques,
especially the stainless and titanium. You need to get a book on
machining and read about these materials. For instance, stainless needs
slow speed, high torque, heavy pressure, and lots of black sulfur oil.

Joe Gwinn

Tim Wescott February 16th 08 04:08 AM

Educate me about end mills

http://www.wescottdesign.com

[email protected] February 16th 08 05:59 AM

Educate me about end mills

On Feb 15, 11:08 pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Control systems and communications consultinghttp://www.wescottdesign.com

Elsevier/Newnes,http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

Coolant definitely improves machining results, and the cutting tools
will last longer. I use COOLTOOL II almost exclusively for milling
and turning by hand brushing or squirting, simply to keep the mess
manageable and peace at the home front as my work shop is in the
basement.

This stuff is good also for single point threading in the lathe. For
tapping I use some 40 year old CIMCOOL "strawberry jam" (still
available). Both are innocuous and do not smell or cause rust. I
paid about $50 for one gallon of COOLTOOL II 5 years ago; the CIMCOOL
I got for free way back when but when I priced it recently it was
listed for $175 per pint! It is good stuff. I use both lubricants
for everything, all steels, stainless, carbon and tool, aluminum,
titanium, brass, bronze including aluminum bronze, plus any mystery
metal I run across.

I am not saying that it is the be-all and end-all for production
machining, but for all around workshop use, and for some pretty
complex parts, it is satisfactory for my purposes. The CIMCOOL was
indeed used in production tapping of aluminum, cast iron, and steel.

Wolfgang

Jim Wilkins February 16th 08 02:16 PM

Educate me about end mills

On Feb 15, 11:08*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
Thanks for asking this question -- after looking at the links Gunner gave
I now understand why I lose an end mill every time I try to cut steel.
Next time I'll try for more patience.
Does lubrication and/or coolant help?
Tim Wescott

I made up a spreadsheet chart of cutting speeds for my mill with the 6
belt settings and spindle speeds for rows and common tool diameters
for columns. When the usual 600 RPM isn't appropriate it's easy to
look up the nearest speed and find its belt setting.

Motor Head RPM .125 .250 .500 ...
Low Lg 600 20 39 79
Low Med 350 11 23 46

600 RPM gives ~80 FPM on a 1/2" end mill, which has worked well for me
on all but hardened steel where I'd use carbide anyway.

Name-brand USA HSS end mills stay sharp a long time with a little
cutting oil brushed on whenever the smoke disappears. The cheap blue-
tube ones seem to require much lower speed or they dull very quickly
in steel, so I save them for aluminum.

Jim Wilkins