Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting experience

That happens more often than not. I suppose it is a hectic time getting
ready to make sure ... and then in air traffic and perhaps an hour wait
in line. There went his gas. One never knows. When out on the west
coast the gas at a certain airport was either bad or not gas on several times.
Once when B24 was there to show and tell - it was almost a mega mistake.
Then there were several crashes and more than one deaths.

Actually the Interstate highways were designed and built for just that
reason - to land Airplanes upon their return from a war out of hand.
It was Ike's thought after seeing some of the same stuff in Germany.

He knew the home bases would be targeted. But that was cold war days -
Kinda like now, with Bear bombers flying over Alaska, North Pole (all nations)
and our Carrier. Iran and China blasting missiles that are not friendly.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

SteveB wrote:
I was driving to Las Vegas the other day. I was in Virgin River Gorge, a
very steep nasty stretch of road. I saw a Cessna coming down. Gliding at a
steep angle, then did a 360 and disappeared behind a mesa. We topped the
mesa, and there was a Cessna sitting in the roadway pointed in the direction
of traffic.

He didn't damage a thing. It was a narrow road, and he stopped just a few
feet short of a guardrail.

Last night I looked in the St. George Spectum, and seems the fellow took off
from Las Vegas and didn't have enough gas.

Duh.

Glad to see he didn't stuff it. There's not one smooth place in that whole
NW corner of Arizona except that ribbon of road.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:50:30 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

He knew the home bases would be targeted. But that was cold war days -
Kinda like now, with Bear bombers flying over Alaska, North Pole (all nations)
and our Carrier. Iran and China blasting missiles that are not friendly.

============
“SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM “
meaning literally:
“If you want peace, prepare for war”.

"Rei militaris instituta", also called "Epitoma rei militaris” by
Vegetius c. 4th. A.D.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
That happens more often than not. I suppose it is a hectic time getting
ready to make sure ... and then in air traffic and perhaps an hour wait
in line. There went his gas. One never knows. When out on the west
coast the gas at a certain airport was either bad or not gas on several
times.
Once when B24 was there to show and tell - it was almost a mega mistake.
Then there were several crashes and more than one deaths.

Actually the Interstate highways were designed and built for just that
reason - to land Airplanes upon their return from a war out of hand.
It was Ike's thought after seeing some of the same stuff in Germany.

When I was practicing for my private license, of course, we always
considered landing on highways in emergencies. Landing speed (60± mph) is
the same as traffic. Cars behind the landing craft are surprised and slow
down. I hope that cars in front don't look in their rear view mirror and
slow down.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

[...]

Don't know if anyone reading this has ever been on that section of road. It
IS an Interstate, but is divided, two lanes with shoulder and narrow
emergency lane to the middle. Nonetheless, it is twisty, and most people
who are driving it are watching the road and guardrails. He must have just
hit a break in traffic.

Las Vegas To St. George is 120 miles as the crow flies. Seems like a full
tank would get you there on a small Cessna even with a long taxi.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:00:33 -0500, Not me this time
wrote:

Actually the Interstate highways were designed and built for just that
reason - to land Airplanes upon their return from a war out of hand.

There are several designated landing strips on the Eyre Highway
crossing the Nullarbor. Designed to allow Flying Doctor aircraft to
land and evacuate accident victims.
One part is the world's longest runway, about 130 km of dead
straight road, it only varies in elevation by about +/- 10 metres.
Horrible to drive on at night as high beam headlights are dazzling
from over 30 km away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 11:50*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Actually the Interstate highways were designed and built for just that
reason - to land Airplanes upon their return from a war out of hand.
It was Ike's thought after seeing some of the same stuff in Germany.

..
Martin H. Eastburn

Maybe that was part of the argument to Congress?

Eisenhower was in a "rapid" reinforcement exercise in the 30's that
actually took months to move an army across the US, so when he saw the
Autobahn he knew it was the answer to the problem of concentrating
forces quickly enough to repel a massive invasion, something he
understood as well as anyone. He had prevented the Germans from
building up fast enough in Normandy by blocking the narrow French
roads with air power, and the Resistance had easily sabotaged the
rails. The 2nd SS Panzer Division in Provence needed 2 critical weeks
to reach the battle.

Like runways, the Autobahn was too wide to adequately cut by bombing.
Even tactical nukes won't (theoretically) cause enough damage to stop
tanks.

Jim Wilkins

Interesting....veddy interesting....OT of course. Rex Metalworking 11 November 16th 07 06:31 PM
Interesting....veddy interesting....OT of course. Rex Metalworking 0 November 8th 07 10:11 PM
Very Interesting adil Home Repair 0 March 4th 07 02:44 AM
I think it's not interesting mamorter Home Repair 0 March 4th 07 01:58 AM
Interesting experience with Citizen 19" chassis. Jason D. Electronics Repair 0 September 10th 05 03:15 AM