DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Propane + air silver soldering small parts? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/233754-re-propane-air-silver-soldering-small-parts.html)

Jim Stewart February 14th 08 08:33 PM

Propane + air silver soldering small parts?

wrote:
I have a few propane units .. some are large hardware store units that
I use for heating saxophone parts. But I need a small cheap propane
and AIR or that uses AIR not Oxygen (way too expensive $10 for 15
minutes is tooo much) to do silversoldering on small parts. I mean
real silver soldering that is high temperature and results in high
strength attachment as in saxophone parts like keys that I want to
make. There is a type of solder with silver in it but I mean 1200F
melting temp solder that is almost brazing temp.

I'm not sure you can get the heat you
need in a little flame using propane/air.

You probably already know it, but the
nicest way to go would be a Meco torch
set up for propane/oxygen. After the
initial investment, the oxygen costs on
such a little torch would be insignificant.
A small bottle, costing maybe $25 to refill
should last you years.

Abrasha March 15th 08 02:55 AM

Jim Stewart wrote:
wrote:
I have a few propane units .. some are large hardware store units that
I use for heating saxophone parts. But I need a small cheap propane
and AIR or that uses AIR not Oxygen (way too expensive $10 for 15
minutes is tooo much) to do silversoldering on small parts. I mean
real silver soldering that is high temperature and results in high
strength attachment as in saxophone parts like keys that I want to
make. There is a type of solder with silver in it but I mean 1200F
melting temp solder that is almost brazing temp.

I'm not sure you can get the heat you
need in a little flame using propane/air.

Oh yes you can. I've been doing it for 35 years!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com