Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default manufacturing in Germany.

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It appears to, but I'm not counting on appearances. Germany has been very
strategic in building its machinery export industries from back in the days
when I was at _American Machinist_, over 25 years ago. They're very good at
that work and it may just be that it's paid off in a world that needs their
particular expertise.

You obviously haven't had to repair a Chiron VMC or a first generation Index
G200. The freaking Index doesn't have wire numbers on the wires and the
Chiron only about half of them. GRRRR

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:10:34 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It appears to, but I'm not counting on appearances. Germany has been very
strategic in building its machinery export industries from back in the days
when I was at _American Machinist_, over 25 years ago. They're very good at
that work and it may just be that it's paid off in a world that needs their
particular expertise.

You obviously haven't had to repair a Chiron VMC or a first generation Index
G200. The freaking Index doesn't have wire numbers on the wires and the
Chiron only about half of them. GRRRR

Wes

===============
ah-so --- another insight.

German industry learns from its mistakes and corrects rather than
repeating these (and continuing to screw [up] their customers).
The key-words being "first generation."

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It appears to, but I'm not counting on appearances. Germany has been very
strategic in building its machinery export industries from back in the
days
when I was at _American Machinist_, over 25 years ago. They're very good
at
that work and it may just be that it's paid off in a world that needs
their
particular expertise.

You obviously haven't had to repair a Chiron VMC or a first generation
G200. The freaking Index doesn't have wire numbers on the wires and the
Chiron only about half of them. GRRRR

Wes

The point is, Wes, you're repairing Chiron VMCs and they're not repairing
Tree VMCs.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

The point is, Wes, you're repairing Chiron VMCs and they're not repairing
Tree VMCs.

I'm just saying their reputation is overrated. I think there may be a
cultural thing going on where accepting foreign stuff goes against their
grain. Now us Americans, we are sluts, we will cozy up to anything pretty
and cheap.

Too bad Nick doesn't do these kind of posts, his insight on how China is
penetrating or not penetrating their market from his POV would be rather
interesting to read.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nonsense , we all learn from our mistakes , US gov

pays us to make the mistakes a 2nd , 3rd time .

German gov is simply unable to take the losses
as its smaller ..

But there is one big strength in Germans .
They can imagine simple solutions to everyday
problems , others find complicated .

You want to sell beer ? Dont put any crap in it .
Hear that BUD !

The Germans also will have a bit of trouble in 2018
but nothing like the fall of modern day Rome (USA)...

We Say we fabricate cars , electronics and computers
and export corn/grain .

NOT one penny of real gain ! All subsidized by "UNCLE"

I like to lathe and mill stuff , and weld stuff together ,
invent , but there is no future for one who is in love
with a particular way of doin stuff on a lathe /mill.

99% of the time i find a faster , higher quality
way to make the part , NOT using a conventional
machine tool .

This is where you will profit in the future .

There is a new BC ( business computer) that will
be very low cost and fit your pocket .
It will be controlling all machines .

Im working on the ARM mcu , tiny Op System .
it fits entirely in the 250 KB of internal FLASH .

It is not limited . it lacks nothing . it has a 250GB
HDD and 16MB PSRAM .
It uses NO keyboard , it never requires you search
a big LCD for text , as it uses
NO text nor modern language .

It uses buttons near the tiny LCD . You see a GUI
object next to button . But if you are confused , simply
hold down the button for 1/3 of a second .
Faster , and it runs ahead .
These images next to button change as you dig deeper
into the programming .

You can interface new h/w in minutes , as Chuck
Moore did with his tiny Forth O.S. in the late 60's.

KC7CC