Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Science of NASCAR

Here's an interesting story about the physics of NASCAR racing, as it's
described in a new book, and about the science teacher who wrote it to
"enliven" the science curriculum at public schools. The article doesn't tell
you much itself but there are some leads there for anyone interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/sc...ed=1&8dpc&_r=1

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:40:22 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

Here's an interesting story about the physics of NASCAR racing, as it's
described in a new book, and about the science teacher who wrote it to
"enliven" the science curriculum at public schools. The article doesn't tell
you much itself but there are some leads there for anyone interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/sc...ed=1&8dpc&_r=1

WTF is "nonintuitive physics"?!? As my BIL used to say "Sounds like
something from the woo-woo sector."

--

SALMON -- The Other Pink Meat
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:40:22 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

Here's an interesting story about the physics of NASCAR racing, as it's
described in a new book, and about the science teacher who wrote it to
"enliven" the science curriculum at public schools. The article doesn't
tell
you much itself but there are some leads there for anyone interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/sc...ed=1&8dpc&_r=1

WTF is "nonintuitive physics"?!? As my BIL used to say "Sounds like
something from the woo-woo sector."

Physics that you won't get just by eyeballing and guessing. For example,
that an air damn at the front of a car reduces drag, or the Kamm-effect rear
end on GT race cars, which results in less drag than many "streamlined" read
ends.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Here's an interesting story about the physics of NASCAR racing, as it's
described in a new book, and about the science teacher who wrote it to
"enliven" the science curriculum at public schools. The article doesn't
tell you much itself but there are some leads there for anyone interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/sc...ed=1&8dpc&_r=1

--
Ed Huntress

The math of NASCAR:

LOIBCC * MAB = 10,000,000,000 DDLB

LOIBCC: Lots Of Identical Brightly Colored Cars

MAB: Massive Advertising Budgets

DDLB: Dupes Drinking Lousy Beer

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Byrns wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Here's an interesting story about the physics of NASCAR racing, as it's
described in a new book, and about the science teacher who wrote it to
"enliven" the science curriculum at public schools. The article doesn't
tell you much itself but there are some leads there for anyone interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/sc...ed=1&8dpc&_r=1

--
Ed Huntress

The math of NASCAR:

LOIBCC * MAB = 10,000,000,000 DDLB

LOIBCC: Lots Of Identical Brightly Colored Cars

MAB: Massive Advertising Budgets

DDLB: Dupes Drinking Lousy Beer

-Carl

DDLB, that would fit with the "Bud king of beers" logo as seen on some
NASCAR vehicles that most in the rest of the world would dispute IMHO.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
Carl Byrns wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Here's an interesting story about the physics of NASCAR racing, as it's
described in a new book, and about the science teacher who wrote it to
"enliven" the science curriculum at public schools. The article doesn't
tell you much itself but there are some leads there for anyone
interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/sc...ed=1&8dpc&_r=1

--
Ed Huntress

The math of NASCAR:

LOIBCC * MAB = 10,000,000,000 DDLB

LOIBCC: Lots Of Identical Brightly Colored Cars

MAB: Massive Advertising Budgets

DDLB: Dupes Drinking Lousy Beer

-Carl

DDLB, that would fit with the "Bud king of beers" logo as seen on some
NASCAR vehicles that most in the rest of the world would dispute IMHO.

That's the "king of beers" south of the Mason-Dixon line and west of the
Delaware River. d8-)

NASCAR racers, while technically throwbacks, are the most refined antique
racecars in the world g and very interesting projects to teach kids about
some fundamental physics. I think it's a neat idea.

--
Ed Huntress (who drinks Sam Adams and New Jersey's own River Horse beer,
when he doesn't want to spring for Beck's)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Byrns wrote:

[...]

I did have a look at the article you mentioned earlier regarding physics
but was thinking about the article I read earlier this evening in "The
Engineer" about the recent and late adoption of rolling road windtunnels
in the US for NASCAR and other auto developments, big picture for the
article title with a bright red NASCAR vehicle with "Bud king of beers"
plastered across the bonnet. I think US Bud lost their name fight with
the much older Budwieser in the Czech republic long ago. I remember US
bud being **** water in the early 1980s but granted I have heard that as
fightback against the big brewers many smaller breweries have sprung up
in the US since then. Much the same happened apparently in the UK in the
1970s with the big brewers buying up smaller ones and closing them and
limiting the choice, big fight back eventually and much more choice
now. Viva warm beer and Lucas fridges
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Byrns wrote:

[...]

We now have hundreds of small breweries and some produce very good beers.
With a taste that runs toward Beck's and Dinkel Acker I find the American
microbrewery beers tend to be a bit too sweet, but not all of them are, and
it's a refreshing change from the soda-pop, big-brewery beers that dominated
our market until recent years.

--
Ed Huntress