Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone see this machine?

John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Very kewl! Have seen little R/C and autonomous versions but that's
the first big one I've seen. Seems to be a far cry from that behemoth built
in the '60s or was it the '70s..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : The impeachment process
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : exists for a reason...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 06:57:51 -0500, JohnM wrote:

John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

Looks like it might be useful militarily.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany writes:

Looks like it might be useful militarily.

Yep, they worked so well in _The Empire Strikes Back_.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JohnM wrote:
John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

It was much discussed in a thread called "tree Huggers don't look"
before that degenerated into a bunch of political namecalling.

Cool machines for forestry use in places where you don't wish to tear
up the soil.

For what it is to do, usually mounting a harvester head on a boom for
harvesting trees, it rarely gets outrun by the quarry. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 06:57:51 -0500, JohnM wrote:

John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

Looks like it might be useful militarily.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Only as a slow moving target...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote:

JohnM wrote:
John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

It was much discussed in a thread called "tree Huggers don't look"
before that degenerated into a bunch of political namecalling.

Cool machines for forestry use in places where you don't wish to tear
up the soil.

For what it is to do, usually mounting a harvester head on a boom for
harvesting trees, it rarely gets outrun by the quarry. :-)

WHAT? You've never heard of 'plant runners'? ;-)

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Trevor Jones wrote:

JohnM wrote:

John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

It was much discussed in a thread called "tree Huggers don't look"
before that degenerated into a bunch of political namecalling.

Cool machines for forestry use in places where you don't wish to tear
up the soil.

For what it is to do, usually mounting a harvester head on a boom for
harvesting trees, it rarely gets outrun by the quarry. :-)

WHAT? You've never heard of 'plant runners'? ;-)

Seen em.

They are not quite as fast as the machine.

:-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Trevor Jones wrote:

JohnM wrote:

John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

It was much discussed in a thread called "tree Huggers don't look"
before that degenerated into a bunch of political namecalling.

Cool machines for forestry use in places where you don't wish to tear
up the soil.

For what it is to do, usually mounting a harvester head on a boom for
harvesting trees, it rarely gets outrun by the quarry. :-)

WHAT? You've never heard of 'plant runners'? ;-)

Seen em.

They are not quite as fast as the machine.

You haven't seen some of the crap that grows in FLorida. You'd swear
it has legs.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Trevor Jones wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Trevor Jones wrote:

JohnM wrote:

John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

It was much discussed in a thread called "tree Huggers don't look"
before that degenerated into a bunch of political namecalling.

Cool machines for forestry use in places where you don't wish to tear
up the soil.

For what it is to do, usually mounting a harvester head on a boom for
harvesting trees, it rarely gets outrun by the quarry. :-)

WHAT? You've never heard of 'plant runners'? ;-)

Seen em.

They are not quite as fast as the machine.

You haven't seen some of the crap that grows in FLorida. You'd swear
it has legs.

Kudzu is the biggie down there, Yes?

On Vancouver Island it was the Blackberries where there was soil, and
the Broom where it was too dry for Blackberries.

At least there was always a crop of Blackberries to snack on!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:52:29 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Trevor Jones wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Trevor Jones wrote:

JohnM wrote:

John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

It was much discussed in a thread called "tree Huggers don't look"
before that degenerated into a bunch of political namecalling.

Cool machines for forestry use in places where you don't wish to tear
up the soil.

For what it is to do, usually mounting a harvester head on a boom for
harvesting trees, it rarely gets outrun by the quarry. :-)

WHAT? You've never heard of 'plant runners'? ;-)

Seen em.

They are not quite as fast as the machine.

You haven't seen some of the crap that grows in FLorida. You'd swear
it has legs.

And then there`s the stuff that really does have legs.. those enormous
roaches euphemistically called `Palmetto bugs`

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

And then there`s the stuff that really does have legs.. those enormous
roaches euphemistically called `Palmetto bugs`

Don't badmouth palmetto bugs. They make great paving stones for your
sidewalks. They aren't durable enough for the driveway, though. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote:

Kudzu is the biggie down there, Yes?

On Vancouver Island it was the Blackberries where there was soil, and
the Broom where it was too dry for Blackberries.

At least there was always a crop of Blackberries to snack on!

Kudzu is bad, along with Spanish Moss for killing trees. Then we have
Dragonflies that are larger than some birds. Have you ever seen a large
Banana Spider?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

And then there`s the stuff that really does have legs.. those enormous
roaches euphemistically called `Palmetto bugs`

Don't badmouth palmetto bugs. They make great paving stones for your
sidewalks. They aren't durable enough for the driveway, though. ;-)

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale we used to catch them in the bottom of
garbage cans, stuff them into a sliding matchbox, and take them to school to
race them on the playground. We used a dot or two of nail polish on their
backs to identify them.

"Palmetto bug" is a term brought to us by Florida real estate agents. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote

Don't badmouth palmetto bugs. They make great paving stones for your
sidewalks. They aren't durable enough for the driveway, though. ;-)

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale we used to catch them in the bottom of
garbage cans, stuff them into a sliding matchbox, and take them to school to
race them on the playground. We used a dot or two of nail polish on their
backs to identify them.

"Palmetto bug" is a term brought to us by Florida real estate agents. d8-)

Along with 'Lakefront property' for mosquito infested ponds. If we
didn't have so many Dragonflies, Florida would be unlivable.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote:

Kudzu is the biggie down there, Yes?

Yes, don't leave your car parked in a corner of the lot over a weekend
if there
is giant Kudzu on the trees just beyond. When you come back next week,
the lot seems smaller, and you can't find the car! Just a big pile of
the Kudzu over in the corner...... (cue ominous music)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

Trevor Jones wrote:

Kudzu is the biggie down there, Yes?

Yes, don't leave your car parked in a corner of the lot over a weekend if
there
is giant Kudzu on the trees just beyond. When you come back next week,
the lot seems smaller, and you can't find the car! Just a big pile of the
Kudzu over in the corner...... (cue ominous music)

Having had an interest in kudzu a few years ago, I learned that it can grow
one foot per day. That's one rippin' weed.

We had some worries about it in south Jersey some years back but it's not a
problem here. It can't stand a real freeze, so it gets killed off here every
once in a while.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

And then there`s the stuff that really does have legs.. those enormous
roaches euphemistically called `Palmetto bugs`

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Spent a couple months in Honduras. Quite the entertainment was had,
between the roaches, the scorpions, and the really huge praying mantises
there.

That did not even start to take into account the varieties of lizards
about that place.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote:
JohnM wrote:
John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

It was much discussed in a thread called "tree Huggers don't look"
before that degenerated into a bunch of political namecalling.

That's the thread that caused me to remember the machine. It didn't seem
worth the effort to go through that whole thread to see if this machine
was mentioned there- as you say, it was falling apart fast..

Cool machines for forestry use in places where you don't wish to tear
up the soil.

For what it is to do, usually mounting a harvester head on a boom for
harvesting trees, it rarely gets outrun by the quarry. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I like this one too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBgiu02juek

LLB

"JohnM" wrote in message
m...
John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA

So how do they machine that? John Rumm UK diy 7 June 23rd 05 12:03 AM
Which machine? Bullfrog Metalworking 25 July 19th 04 04:23 PM
Help! Trying to get a fax machine working with an answering machine/PABX Paulus UK diy 2 March 30th 04 05:26 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 January 4th 04 07:25 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 December 15th 03 05:36 AM