Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Default Seeking source for shim/spring washers

I am seeking a source for washers with the following specs.

Flat - not Belleville, cupped, curved, etc.

Stainless Steel or blue spring steel

I.D.: Both 3/8" and 1/2"

O.D.: Would like the following O.D. dimensions with both the 3/8" and 1/2"
I.D..... .750", .900", 1.050", 1.200", 1.350" (O.D dimensions not
absolutely critical but should be somewhere near.)

Thickness: ranging from .002" to .025" in each size.

Google searches have only resulted in Belleville-type spring washers. I
need flat washers with which to build shim stacks.

I can buy each one of these washers through the dealer at $1 - to - $2
each!

I would like to find a source where I can buy boxes of 25, 50, or 100 for a
few cents per washer.

I am open to any creative alternatives........

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you are just going to build "shim stacks", then I wouldn't think
you'd need stainless steel or "blue spring steel".
I have gotten flat washers in various thicknesses from MSC over the
years.
See page 1981 of their current "big book". They have them in 18-8
SS, and 316 SS, in addition to alumimum, copper and brass.

You can call them at 1-800-645-7270
mscdirect.com

Pete Stanaitis

* wrote:

I am seeking a source for washers with the following specs.

Flat - not Belleville, cupped, curved, etc.

Stainless Steel or blue spring steel

I.D.: Both 3/8" and 1/2"

O.D.: Would like the following O.D. dimensions with both the 3/8" and 1/2"
I.D..... .750", .900", 1.050", 1.200", 1.350" (O.D dimensions not
absolutely critical but should be somewhere near.)

Thickness: ranging from .002" to .025" in each size.

Google searches have only resulted in Belleville-type spring washers. I
need flat washers with which to build shim stacks.

I can buy each one of these washers through the dealer at $1 - to - $2
each!

I would like to find a source where I can buy boxes of 25, 50, or 100 for a
few cents per washer.

I am open to any creative alternatives........

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:30:33 -0600, "*" wrote:

I would like to find a source where I can buy boxes of 25, 50, or 100 for a
few cents per washer.

http://www.bokers.com/default.asp?UR...rch//index.cfm

But I doubt you'll beat the dealer price at quantities of 100 each. A
few cents per piece seems unlikely at any reasonable quantity.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Ned Simmons wrote in article
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:30:33 -0600, "*" wrote:

I would like to find a source where I can buy boxes of 25, 50, or 100

for a
few cents per washer.

http://www.bokers.com/default.asp?UR...rch//index.cfm

But I doubt you'll beat the dealer price at quantities of 100 each. A
few cents per piece seems unlikely at any reasonable quantity.

--
Ned Simmons

I've already been quoted by Boker's.

Quantities of 100 are around $2 each while moving to 250, the price drops
to about $1 each.

Everything is custom-made.....Nothing in stock.

I appreciate your input...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

spaco wrote in article
If you are just going to build "shim stacks", then I wouldn't think
you'd need stainless steel or "blue spring steel".
I have gotten flat washers in various thicknesses from MSC over the
years.
See page 1981 of their current "big book". They have them in 18-8
SS, and 316 SS, in addition to alumimum, copper and brass.

You can call them at 1-800-645-7270
mscdirect.com

Pete Stanaitis

They are called "shin stacks", but they are actually flexible disc valve
packs, and the MUST have spring qualities.

I have a MSC catalog and they have nothing that comes close to my needs.

I appreciate your input......

* wrote:

I am seeking a source for washers with the following specs.

Flat - not Belleville, cupped, curved, etc.

Stainless Steel or blue spring steel

I.D.: Both 3/8" and 1/2"

O.D.: Would like the following O.D. dimensions with both the 3/8" and

1/2"
I.D..... .750", .900", 1.050", 1.200", 1.350" (O.D dimensions not
absolutely critical but should be somewhere near.)

Thickness: ranging from .002" to .025" in each size.

Google searches have only resulted in Belleville-type spring washers. I
need flat washers with which to build shim stacks.

I can buy each one of these washers through the dealer at $1 - to - $2
each!

I would like to find a source where I can buy boxes of 25, 50, or 100

for a
few cents per washer.

I am open to any creative alternatives........

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a suggestion. You can buy laminated sheet .035" thick Each lamination
is about .002" thick in stainless. The sheets come in panels about 3' x 6'.
This material is peelable shim stock. I would make up a set of punch dies
for every washer size you need. I suppose you could buy the punches as well,
perhaps others would know where. Simply punch out as many as you need. This
material is very easy to use, just use a pocket knife to start a peel and
then with pliers or your fingers, just lift the layer off until you have
the right thickness.
Steve

"*" wrote in message
I am seeking a source for washers with the following specs.

Flat - not Belleville, cupped, curved, etc.

Stainless Steel or blue spring steel

I.D.: Both 3/8" and 1/2"

O.D.: Would like the following O.D. dimensions with both the 3/8" and 1/2"
I.D..... .750", .900", 1.050", 1.200", 1.350" (O.D dimensions not
absolutely critical but should be somewhere near.)

Thickness: ranging from .002" to .025" in each size.

Google searches have only resulted in Belleville-type spring washers. I
need flat washers with which to build shim stacks.

I can buy each one of these washers through the dealer at $1 - to - $2
each!

I would like to find a source where I can buy boxes of 25, 50, or 100 for
few cents per washer.

I am open to any creative alternatives........

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This might not meet your needs exactly, but is worth checking out.

http://www.racetech.com/shopping/shopdisplaysubcat.asp?id=13&showPage=street

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence
over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.

Richard Feynman.(1918-1988)
Personal Observations on the Reliability of the (Space) Shuttle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This might not meet your needs exactly, but is worth checking out.

http://www.racetech.com/shopping/shopdisplaysubcat.asp?id=13&showPage=street
http://www.suspensiondirect.com/catalog.htm

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics
Royal Military College

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence
over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.

Richard Feynman.(1918-1988)
Personal Observations on the Reliability of the (Space) Shuttle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 10:30*am, "*" wrote:
I am seeking a source for washers...

Thickness: ranging from .002" to .025" in each size.

When I needed such, I got SS shim stock and used ferric
chloride etching to cut 'em from sheet. There are lots
of electrochemical machining outfits that can fit you
up with this kind of item, or a little scrounging and
some glassblowing can get you an etchant tank and air
bubbler agitator and you can roll your own.

Kodak photoresist and UV lamps are also required
(used to be standard items for printed circuit etching).

My shim stock was a tad curled, hope that isn't a big issue.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Steve Lusardi wrote in article
I have a suggestion. You can buy laminated sheet .035" thick Each

lamination
is about .002" thick in stainless. The sheets come in panels about 3' x

6'.
This material is peelable shim stock. I would make up a set of punch dies

for every washer size you need. I suppose you could buy the punches as

well,
perhaps others would know where. Simply punch out as many as you need.

This
material is very easy to use, just use a pocket knife to start a peel and

then with pliers or your fingers, just lift the layer off until you have

the right thickness.
Steve

I've wondered about using shim stock.

Only problem is that the shim punches I see in the catalogs such as Enco
only go up to 3/4"

I have several Greenlee chassis punches up to two inches, and I am
wondering if they would cut .025 stainless.

While I am stacking these shims, they must be free to flex and deflect. A
laminated shim would not work, but if the Greenlee punches would work, that
might be my option.

Thanks!

"*" wrote in message
I am seeking a source for washers with the following specs.

Flat - not Belleville, cupped, curved, etc.

Stainless Steel or blue spring steel

I.D.: Both 3/8" and 1/2"

O.D.: Would like the following O.D. dimensions with both the 3/8" and

1/2"
I.D..... .750", .900", 1.050", 1.200", 1.350" (O.D dimensions not
absolutely critical but should be somewhere near.)

Thickness: ranging from .002" to .025" in each size.

Google searches have only resulted in Belleville-type spring washers. I
need flat washers with which to build shim stacks.

I can buy each one of these washers through the dealer at $1 - to - $2
each!

I would like to find a source where I can buy boxes of 25, 50, or 100

for
few cents per washer.

I am open to any creative alternatives........

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
whit3rd wrote:

On Feb 11, 10:30*am, "*" wrote:
I am seeking a source for washers...

Thickness: ranging from .002" to .025" in each size.

When I needed such, I got SS shim stock and used ferric
chloride etching to cut 'em from sheet. There are lots
of electrochemical machining outfits that can fit you
up with this kind of item, or a little scrounging and
some glassblowing can get you an etchant tank and air
bubbler agitator and you can roll your own.

Kodak photoresist and UV lamps are also required
(used to be standard items for printed circuit etching).

My shim stock was a tad curled, hope that isn't a big issue.

Try www.bokers.com

Chuck P.