Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lathe accident link..... It will make you sick if you look at thepics

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 8, 9:52 pm, Clark Magnuson wrote:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what happened. It looks as
though his shirt got caught (it was likely quite cold, since he
appears to be wearing multiple layers of sweaters, and the layers of
clothing probably contributed), and due to the size of the lathe it
was able to bodily pull him into and UNDER the chuck and workpiece. I
think most of the mess is due to what appears to be a complete
amputation of the left arm above the shoulder, likely due to the
chuck. The torso is nearly bisected from the force of the spinning
chuck. If he had been merely pulled into the rotating work, he might
have suffered a limb amputation or other injury, but probably would
have been permanently disabled rather than killed. It looks like that
massive chuck did the damage.

I think the key to analyzing industrial accidents is trying to
determine what could have been done to prevent the situation from
occurring. In this case, a chuck guard would have protected him from
that danger that the spinning chuck posed. Other than careful
warnings about excessive clothing and proximity to the workpiece, I
doubt that much could have prevented the actual initial grabbing of
the clothes.

I hope that these images can help prevent a future machinist from
falling victim to a similar accident.
ww88
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cripes that's disgusting!
Thank you for posting it. It should be required viewing for anybody
considering purchase of a new or used lathe.

When I was TDY to the Philippines in the 80's, the "Sparrow" terrorists
killed a couple of GIs. It happened off-base in Angeles City, a couple of
blocks from our hotel.

The Stars and Stripes ran a picture of the young vioctim's body laying in
the street.

There was an uproar about publishing the picture, and the gist of most of
the whining was: "it's too upsetting"

I was personally pleased that the public was able to get the real effect of
what terrorists do, and the "danger" we were in.

Sometimes, a picture is worth 10,000 words.

Mark

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
. ..
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Clark Magnuson wrote:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

Sickenly sad viewing experience.

But it reminded me that:

I got lucky about 60 years ago when I was in a middle school machine
shop class and was using a flat file to smooth the handle for my "hammer
project" while it was spinning between centers in a lathe.

I didn't pay attention to what I was doing and the left sleeve of the
long sleeved shop coat I was wearing snagged the lathe dog screw head.

One of those angels who almost (but not always) look out for teenagers
must have liked me because all that happened was that the coat's sleeve
ripped off and wound around the dog, without harming me at all.

Why the Hell the instructor let us wear those shop coats with long
sleeves I'll never understand.

I never forgot that experience and that's probably why to this date I
can't remember any time I've injured myself working with rotating machinery.

The shop class hammer project got completed OK, and I still have it
hanging in my basement workshop:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/hammer1.jpg

J.R. Williams devoted one of his "Bull Of The Woods" cartoons to this
subject:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/BW001.jpg

Jeff

P.S. I've got about 50 "Bull Of The Woods" cartoons on my drive. If
there's one in particular you remember and would like a copy of describe
it in an email to me. If I have it, it's yours.
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 17:18:48 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

The shop class hammer project got completed OK, and I still have it
hanging in my basement workshop:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/hammer1.jpg

I can see why. it's an elegant little hammer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

woodworker88 wrote:

I think the key to analyzing industrial accidents is trying to
determine what could have been done to prevent the situation from
occurring. In this case, a chuck guard would have protected him from
that danger that the spinning chuck posed. Other than careful
warnings about excessive clothing and proximity to the workpiece, I
doubt that much could have prevented the actual initial grabbing of
the clothes.

It sucks to end ones life as a warning to others.

Sleeves, long hair, or gloves around rotating elements is a formula for
disaster. My manager was giving me crap for not using a speaker mic plugged
into my walkie talkie. I told him there is no frigging way I'm wearing
something that can fall into moving machinery. When he gave me static, I
told him to call in osha for an opinion. That shut him up.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Was this manager someone that ever worked on a lathe or mill?

Sure as hell doesn't sound like it.

Wes wrote:
My manager was giving me crap for not using a speaker mic plugged
into my walkie talkie. I told him there is no frigging way I'm wearing
something that can fall into moving machinery.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 10, 12:12 pm, Wes wrote:
It sucks to end ones life as a warning to others.

Indeed
Sleeves, long hair, or gloves around rotating elements is a formula for
disaster. My manager was giving me crap for not using a speaker mic plugged
into my walkie talkie. I told him there is no frigging way I'm wearing
something that can fall into moving machinery. When he gave me static, I
told him to call in osha for an opinion. That shut him up.

Good idea. I've had a couple of those moments.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 9, 2:18 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Why the Hell the instructor let us wear those shop coats with long
sleeves I'll never understand.

I prefer a tight-fitting long apron, tied in the back, with short
sleeves underneath. I also try to avoid working on the lathe with the
chuck jaws extending out past the body of the chuck. With a smooth
chuck body, if you should accidentally touch your hand or arm to it
while spinning, it will just pass over. Extending chuck jaws, on the
other hand, would not be a good idea!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--This reminds me: if you're trying to keep, say, cast iron dust off of
the ways DO NOT put a shop rag on the ways as it might snag and begin a Very
Bad Day for you. Instead use aluminum foil; if it gets snagged by a
protruding chuck jaw it'll just tear a strip off, no harm done..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : The impeachment process
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : exists for a reason...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--This reminds me: if you're trying to keep, say, cast iron dust off of
the ways DO NOT put a shop rag on the ways as it might snag and begin a Very
Bad Day for you. Instead use aluminum foil; if it gets snagged by a
protruding chuck jaw it'll just tear a strip off, no harm done..

Overlaping pieces of aluminum foil act as sliding way covers. Really nice
if you are using a tool post grinder.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
. ..
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

Wow......

When I apprenticed in a shop in H.S. to earn a few bucks one of the older
grumpy guys "Red buttoned" my lathe, came over to me and tore into my ass
for wearing a heavy flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled down. After a slap
to the back of the head and a reminder of stuff like this happening
(Apparently he saw an accident while at Boeing where a lathe ate a guy like
this) The dude never liked me but after seeing this, he may have just
saved my life. Flashback to that day. But if your gonna go, might as well
be doing what you like...

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:49:47 -0600, Rob Fraser FraserRacing wrote:

The dude never liked me but after seeing this, he may have just
saved my life. Flashback to that day. But if your gonna go, might as well
be doing what you like...

I'm not sure that being beaten to death around a rotating axle is
anyone's idea of "doing what they like". I was first on scene as an EMT
to a farmer who had got himself caught in his tractor's PTO shaft. Only
thing I could "do for him" was to pull the killswitch on the tractor,
and wait for the coroner to take over the scene. About the same as the
lathe accident in question, more or less, at least in end result. Only
good thing about the scene, I guess, is that I didn't need to notify the
family that he couldn't be helped.

That sucked. A lot. Roll up your sleeves, guys.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I love to see stuff like this. It is a part of life (no pun intended) and
is serves as a shocking reminder to me to realize what I am dealing with.
It is like the matchbox size car on the side of the road that some
agency/entity placed there to wake us up as to what can happen if we are
even slightly careless.

The media doesn't want us to see it because they live in a different and
perfect universe than I.

There is no such thing as 'closure'. There is such a thing as folly when
counseling students to make them not
'feel'. Hell, feeling is a part of life. Grief and joy are unique to us
animals.

j/b

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:49:47 -0600, Rob Fraser FraserRacing wrote:

The dude never liked me but after seeing this, he may have just
saved my life. Flashback to that day. But if your gonna go, might as
well
be doing what you like...

I'm not sure that being beaten to death around a rotating axle is
anyone's idea of "doing what they like". I was first on scene as an EMT
to a farmer who had got himself caught in his tractor's PTO shaft. Only
thing I could "do for him" was to pull the killswitch on the tractor,
and wait for the coroner to take over the scene. About the same as the
lathe accident in question, more or less, at least in end result. Only
good thing about the scene, I guess, is that I didn't need to notify the
family that he couldn't be helped.

That sucked. A lot. Roll up your sleeves, guys.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:59:03 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jusme" quickly quoth:

I love to see stuff like this. It is a part of life (no pun intended) and
is serves as a shocking reminder to me to realize what I am dealing with.
It is like the matchbox size car on the side of the road that some
agency/entity placed there to wake us up as to what can happen if we are
even slightly careless.

I wonder if things like this might help put 48V automotive electrical
systems in better perspective for some of our more safety-oriented
(aka "paranoid"?) folks.

--

SALMON -- The Other Pink Meat
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
. ..
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

Sick photos... But shows why you should never go near those things with
long sleeves, gloves, long hair, etc...

Be warned that the photos are more like a slaughterhouse photo set than
anythign else I can think of right now...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rob Fraser wrote:
.. But if your gonna go, might as well
be doing what you like...

As long as they don't put it on television- "Oh, he was in the lead and
caught his sleeve in the work. What did it look like from down there,
Bobby?"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is this accident in the news anywhere? Just wondering because I know some
do experiments with corpses and the body doesn't look very fresh to me. Of
course it could be just the time between the accident and the pictures but
some parts of the picture look like it just happened but the body doesn't
look like the person just died. Kind of makes me wonder if this was a real
accident or a safety study of some sort. If it was a real accident, there
should be a news story or obituary notice somewhere.

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
. ..
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi All

I have an 18" chuck on an old VDF lathe with 10 KW pushing it along.
Every time I turn it on I see those photos.

It now scares the crap out of me.

And so it should.

This was no setup it was a real accident.
Here It Is
http://www.nclabor.com/news/ledger/04NovDec.pdf

Yours Faithfully

John McNamara Australia.

"Roger_N" wrote in message
Is this accident in the news anywhere? Just wondering because I know some
do experiments with corpses and the body doesn't look very fresh to me.
Of course it could be just the time between the accident and the pictures
but some parts of the picture look like it just happened but the body
doesn't look like the person just died. Kind of makes me wonder if this
was a real accident or a safety study of some sort. If it was a real
accident, there should be a news story or obituary notice somewhere.

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
. ..
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the link! I was hoping that it was a safety experiment instead
of an actual life lost to a lathe accident. I think these pictues could do
more than any safety talk could do. I know I'll pay more attention to loose
clothing or anything else that can hang up in a rotating spindle.

"Roger_N" wrote in message
Is this accident in the news anywhere? Just wondering because I know
some do experiments with corpses and the body doesn't look very fresh to
me. Of course it could be just the time between the accident and the
pictures but some parts of the picture look like it just happened but the
body doesn't look like the person just died. Kind of makes me wonder if
this was a real accident or a safety study of some sort. If it was a
real accident, there should be a news story or obituary notice somewhere.

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
. ..
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Me, too, Roger.

I was using the lathe today and while most gruesome, I think my viewing of
the pictures makes me more careful.

We are too insulated and squeamish about such stuff. It is sad and
unfortunate but S___ happens and we'd damn well be informed about the
occasional fluke lest it grab us.

j/b

"Roger_N" wrote in message
Is this accident in the news anywhere? Just wondering because I know
some do experiments with corpses and the body doesn't look very fresh to
me. Of course it could be just the time between the accident and the
pictures but some parts of the picture look like it just happened but
the body doesn't look like the person just died. Kind of makes me
wonder if this was a real accident or a safety study of some sort. If
it was a real accident, there should be a news story or obituary notice
somewhere.

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
. ..
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27486

Build cable: Brother Missing Link aka Multi-Function Link, PCI-1, PC I/F jd_hupp Electronics Repair 3 November 18th 05 04:30 PM
make a lathe test bar Karl Townsend Metalworking 16 September 26th 05 11:06 PM
MAKE DO WOOD LATHE J T Woodworking 0 August 27th 05 11:12 PM
Basic Lathe Instruction link doc44 Woodworking 5 April 6th 05 04:22 AM
fa: lathe tailstock (make your own lathe?) william_b_noble Woodturning 0 October 17th 04 04:02 AM