Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone Got One Of These?

http://grizzly.com/products/G3104

If so what do you think of it?

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sk sk is offline

On Feb 5, 10:49 pm, jon_banquer wrote:
http://grizzly.com/products/G3104

If so what do you think of it?

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

To me the 3/4 inch grinding wheel hub size is non standard.
I've had good luck with their wood working tools. The president of
Grizzley uses what he sells in wood working. But for metal working, I
bought a 18x40 inch lathe in 2004 from them. I'm convinced came from
a very good Chinese manufacture that used every incorrectly made part
for exported lathes. I fix them as I find them, but initially, the
tailstock had the MT4 slot hole so that a bit would not seat, they
sent me a new quill, but it was 0.003 larger then my tailstock
machined casting would take (there goes universal part manufacture,
same for the 4 bolt pattern on the tailstock thrust plate 90 degree
bolt pattern?), then you feel inside it's bore and find that it is not
straight. Lot's of other issues (D1-8 cams were all bad, cross slide
where the gib could not be adjusted) that their excellent customer
support folks replaced. But clearly they needed such support, for the
junk that I can only assume they sell in their low volume metal
working machines.
My guess is that their higher volume small (10x24, 12x36) lathes are
OK, but this surface grinder is not a 6x12, and you may find to be
problematic.
The lathe I bought only existed on their web site (in retrospect) and
they don't support it now.
What's interesting is all the crate labels had Grizzly self stick
labels over the original ones which were J & W Machinery & Equipment,
they don't exist from a web search. so what was Grizzly doing?
Ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Do you or anyone else wish to recommend a good alternative for a
surface grinder and have the personal experience to make that
recommendation? Does anyone sell rebuilt surface grinders at near the
same price that has a great reputation for quality?

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 5, 10:49*pm, jon_banquer wrote:
http://grizzly.com/products/G3104

If so what do you think of it?

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

Could you carry that in the back of a car?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sk sk is offline

On Feb 6, 6:53 pm, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

There was a guy here just last week from southern Wisconsin asking the
same.
I have one of the horrible fright 6x12, and yes it had problems, there
was a bearing retainer plate for the cross feed screw thrust bearing
(just a common ball bearing) the Asian manufacture did not machine the
recess for the full depth of the ball bearing. It was about a
millimeter shy. Amazing what a hammer can do to form aluminum about
the non shielded outer race. Also that they made this aluminum plate
from recycled .075 stock as it had silk screen from some other use.
Once I got a .0001 indicator on the down feed I could use it without
burning what I was machining. It's big enough to put a 5C spin index
on, and use it to machine round hardened dowels to size, as well as
putting flats on drill shanks at 120 deg. I've fixed lot's of stuff
with this. It's good enough. A little bigger size would be nice.
I really should not bad mouth Grizzly, as around here most Asian
imports are considered "pre assembled kits". The lathe was 5700 lbs,
and can I ever do cut off operation without the machine crying. I
have found a scaling problem of the Aloris style tool holders. I have
mine fitted with the 400 series phase II, the wedge clamp is not
strong enough for heavy cuts, and will slip, bending the tool height
setting screw, bent two of them now. I have to say things that come
from Taiwan lately are very good quality. And in the case of my 6X12
I was able to fix it with the mill as the castings are OK. The down
feed nut has a brass split afair, (backlash adjust) but seems a little
undersized. It had too much back lash, but the indicator let me live
with this problem.
How much money do you want to spend? Would be nice if you could find
one in a tool maker shop that was in great shape and you knew that.
Ignator

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[...]

Here is the link the recent thread on this
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...ng/browse_frm/
thread/13ee316ef2184a40/283a61daec8f8613?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=surface
+grinder#283a61daec8f8613
Ignator