Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fixing broken bandsaw blades

--Well I bit the bullet and made an alignment jig but I'm not sure
I've got all the fiddly bits set up right. Has anyone got photos of one
they've made up somewhere?
What prompted the build: a pal came by with a blade that was broken;
I ground the ends and butted them together on a corner of the welding table
(awkward), then whipped out the tig torch and voila! Poof! No blade! So I
needed a nice brazing jig. I guess grinding at an angle is not recommended
either, yes?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : The impeachment process
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : exists for a reason...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd say that grinding at an angle is recommended. I think it's called a
"scarf". Your alignment jig needs only to hold the two ends together
"out in space" so the heat won't sink away too fast. I use a silver
solder that melts at about 1200° F.
I align the ends, overlapping at the scarf by, maybe 1/4" and sprung
slightly so the ends lie firmly together. I cut about 1/4" of silver
solder off the roll and smash it flat, so it's about 1/32" thick. Do
this on a clean plate so you don't add any crud to the solder. Add some
brazing flux between the ends (too much is better than too little), and
poke the piece of solder in between the ends. Heat gently with a
torch. Unless your blades are much wider than 1/2", a propane torch
will do. Just as color comes (in a dimly lit area), solder melts and
is squeezed as joint pulls together, back torch off and let cool.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------

steamer wrote:
--Well I bit the bullet and made an alignment jig but I'm not sure
I've got all the fiddly bits set up right. Has anyone got photos of one
they've made up somewhere?
What prompted the build: a pal came by with a blade that was broken;
I ground the ends and butted them together on a corner of the welding table
(awkward), then whipped out the tig torch and voila! Poof! No blade! So I
needed a nice brazing jig. I guess grinding at an angle is not recommended
either, yes?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--Well I bit the bullet and made an alignment jig but I'm not sure
I've got all the fiddly bits set up right. Has anyone got photos of one
they've made up somewhere?
What prompted the build: a pal came by with a blade that was broken;
I ground the ends and butted them together on a corner of the welding table
(awkward), then whipped out the tig torch and voila! Poof! No blade! So I
needed a nice brazing jig. I guess grinding at an angle is not recommended
either, yes?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : The impeachment process
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : exists for a reason...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

I believe Ernie had posted a detailed TIG brazing procedure for bandsaw
blades some time ago. You might try searching for it. If I run across it
I'll repost it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
steamer wrote:

--Well I bit the bullet and made an alignment jig but I'm not
sure
I've got all the fiddly bits set up right. Has anyone got photos of one
they've made up somewhere?
What prompted the build: a pal came by with a blade that was
broken;
I ground the ends and butted them together on a corner of the welding
table
(awkward), then whipped out the tig torch and voila! Poof! No blade! So I
needed a nice brazing jig. I guess grinding at an angle is not
recommended
either, yes?

Grinding at an angle is the way to go if you're going to silver-braze the
blades, which is the traditional method. I've been using it for over 30
years and I much prefer it to home-welded blades. The brazed joint is much
stronger than the parent metal and the finished joint is smooth.

However, I don't doubt that someone who's really good at TIG can do a fine
job. It's just that it isn't necessary.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
steamer wrote:

[...]

The technique was TIG brazing, not welding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

steamer wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure about that. I think Ernie welds them. See http://tinyurl.com/22cx2p

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A friend of mine found out I had a blade welder and asked me to make some
specials for him from his stock.
I told him I didn't have much experience at blade welding, but I would give
it a go.
I took one of my old ones and made the joint crooked intensionally, and then
welded it so that you couldn't uncoil the blade.
When I handed it to him, he made a face, but was trying to be polite. I told
him that little bump wouldn't be too noticeable. :-)

Great fun.

"steamer" wrote in message
--Well I bit the bullet and made an alignment jig but I'm not sure
I've got all the fiddly bits set up right. Has anyone got photos of one
they've made up somewhere?
What prompted the build: a pal came by with a blade that was broken;
I ground the ends and butted them together on a corner of the welding
table
(awkward), then whipped out the tig torch and voila! Poof! No blade! So I
needed a nice brazing jig. I guess grinding at an angle is not recommended
either, yes?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : The impeachment process
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : exists for a reason...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:

I'm not sure about that. I think Ernie welds them. See
http://tinyurl.com/22cx2p

I've certainly TIGged them sucessfully. 0.040" tungsten and small
(0.030" ?) SS MIG wire seems to work.

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.

Robert Frost (1874-1963)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

steamer wrote:

[...]

Dunno, that doesn't seem to be the thread I recall. Perhaps I'm
confusing a TIG brazing and a TIG blade welding thread.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--Well I bit the bullet and made an alignment jig but I'm not sure
I've got all the fiddly bits set up right. Has anyone got photos of one
they've made up somewhere?
What prompted the build: a pal came by with a blade that was broken;
I ground the ends and butted them together on a corner of the welding table
(awkward), then whipped out the tig torch and voila! Poof! No blade! So I
needed a nice brazing jig. I guess grinding at an angle is not recommended
either, yes?

Ernie was recommending welding the blades with ER80-S-B2. My (limited)
experience has been to get as small a filler rod as you can find. I got
some 0.045 and would like it thinner.

Here are a couple of pictures of a jig that I made a few years ago:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...jig_readme.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/bsaw_blade_jig1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/bsaw_blade_jig2.jpg

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05 Feb 2008 16:26:19 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Well I bit the bullet and made an alignment jig but I'm not sure
I've got all the fiddly bits set up right. Has anyone got photos of one
they've made up somewhere?
What prompted the build: a pal came by with a blade that was broken;
I ground the ends and butted them together on a corner of the welding table
(awkward), then whipped out the tig torch and voila! Poof! No blade! So I
needed a nice brazing jig. I guess grinding at an angle is not recommended
either, yes?

I made mine out of a 18" length of scrap 3" channel with two 6"
lengths of 1& 1/2" L bolted to the web, 1/4" above the flange with a
couple cap screws to act as clamping screws. Then I cut a 1" gap in
the flange midway between the clamping pieces to act as a working area
for the propane torch.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:51:24 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
steamer wrote:

[...]

To do the scarf, I put the two ends together, apply vice grip and hit
the bench grinder to give about a 30 deg. bevel. Doing both ends
together will ensure that the bevel is close to the same on both ends.
Don't worry about matching teeth.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--Very neat; very simple. Thanks for the photos! Mine's a little
more complex; will post photos tomorrow.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Bob

Fixing broken rad bleeder Tim.. UK diy 9 January 6th 07 05:17 PM
broken bandsaw blades flyfisher Metalworking 6 February 25th 06 06:02 PM
Snow blower blades broken mitchsklar Home Repair 2 December 12th 05 04:45 PM
Snow blower blades broken mitchsklar Home Repair 6 December 11th 05 05:03 PM
Fixing broken IC legs microx Electronics Repair 7 January 24th 05 01:55 AM