Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Power feed Wiring for Bridgeport Mill

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 08:19:25 -0800 (PST), Chris
wrote:

All,

Hope someone can help me, I have purchased an 'Align' X axis Power
feed for my '86 Bridgeport 2HP Varispeed.

The align runs from a 110 volt supply and I understand I should have
an inbuilt 110v supply on the mill itself.

They dont. have such an inboard power source.

Unless you put in a step down transformer, you are stuck with what
99.99999999999999% of all such mill owners have found.

Extension cords to the nearest 110vt outlet

Gunner, Machine Tool Mechanic

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All,

Hope someone can help me, I have purchased an 'Align' X axis Power
feed for my '86 Bridgeport 2HP Varispeed.

The align runs from a 110 volt supply and I understand I should have
an inbuilt 110v supply on the mill itself.

Looking at the supply panel on the mill, there is nothing obvious to
me, and the instructions with the feed are useless.
I could buy a separate transformer, but I hope that I don't need it.

Can anyone advise how these should be wired up at the mill please ?

Any help appreciated

Regards

Chris

Kent, Uk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All,

Hope someone can help me, I have purchased an 'Align' X axis Power
feed for my '86 Bridgeport 2HP Varispeed.

The align runs from a 110 volt supply and I understand I should have
an inbuilt 110v supply on the mill itself.

Looking at the supply panel on the mill, there is nothing obvious to
me, and the instructions with the feed are useless.
I could buy a separate transformer, but I hope that I don't need it.

Can anyone advise how these should be wired up at the mill please ?

Any help appreciated

Regards

Chris

Kent, Uk

=============
In the US it is common that these mills are wired to run off 220
volts 3 phase. Any one of the hot 3 phases should produce 110
volt single phase to neutral. If you are running 220v 3 phase 50
cycles, you only alternative may be to get a transformer,
although I would check to see if you have a dual voltage motor on
the Align power feed.

The Align website at http://www.bestlinepro.com/prod01.htm show
only 110 volt operation but 50/60 cycles.

A quick google search show that in 220V countries the power feed
is sold with a stepdown transformer. For example
http://home.global.co.za/~teri/PRICE029.HTM

your might try emailing to see if they have a
220v motor.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Chris wrote:
All,

Hope someone can help me, I have purchased an 'Align' X axis Power
feed for my '86 Bridgeport 2HP Varispeed.

The align runs from a 110 volt supply and I understand I should have
an inbuilt 110v supply on the mill itself.

Looking at the supply panel on the mill, there is nothing obvious to
me, and the instructions with the feed are useless.
I could buy a separate transformer, but I hope that I don't need it.

Can anyone advise how these should be wired up at the mill please ?

Any help appreciated

Regards

Chris

Kent, Uk

Chris,

I have an older step pulley Bridgeport that I fitted an Align to,
it didn't have power feed fitted before that and had no 110V provision.
I added an external stepdown transformer and routed the power to it and
110V back into the control box. The 110V was then fed to the Align via a
new contactor which was powered off the circuit which energises the main
motor, in that way when the motor was off so was the powerfeed, standard
practice I think and it was shown in the Bridgeport manual showing the
wiring diagram when fitted with a powerfeed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This would only be true if the 3 phase is Wye connected. A delta
connection has no "neutral" and wouldn't do this.

Right?
Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

In the US it is common that these mills are wired to run off 220
volts 3 phase. Any one of the hot 3 phases should produce 110
volt single phase to neutral.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:28:48 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

If you are running 220v 3 phase 50
cycles,

I meant 440 3 phase 50 cycle. If the "normal" single phase
voltage in the UK is 220 then the "normal" threee phase will be
440.

Sorry about the brain fart.

As far as delta v wye connection, its not the motor, its the
supply and these are almost always 5 wires in, 3 phased hot, 1
neutral and one ground. You might run into a "wild leg"
condition where the voltage of a hot wire to neutral is not 110
(or 220) but is correct between the three phased power wires.

While using only one leg of a three phase circuit will cause
screams about "power factor" from the electricians, it is almost
impossible to even measure for a limited use fractional hp motor
on a power feed. A possible exception is if you are downstream
from a RPC or VFD [rotary phase converter / variable frequency
drive]

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Chris wrote:

All,

Hope someone can help me, I have purchased an 'Align' X axis Power
feed for my '86 Bridgeport 2HP Varispeed.

The align runs from a 110 volt supply and I understand I should have
an inbuilt 110v supply on the mill itself.

Looking at the supply panel on the mill, there is nothing obvious to
me, and the instructions with the feed are useless.
I could buy a separate transformer, but I hope that I don't need it.

Can anyone advise how these should be wired up at the mill please ?

Any help appreciated

Regards

Chris

Kent, Uk

The one in our shop is on an extension cord from a nearby wall socket.

Got a transformer? 220v to 110v AC?

Gonna need one.

Don't get your hopes up on finding anything integral to the
Bridgeport. You are putting an aftermarket item on it, thus, an item
that the makers did not plan around, or spend profitless money providing
for.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee wrote:
=============
In the US it is common that these mills are wired to run off 220
volts 3 phase. Any one of the hot 3 phases should produce 110
volt single phase to neutral. If you are running 220v 3 phase 50
cycles, you only alternative may be to get a transformer,
although I would check to see if you have a dual voltage motor on
the Align power feed.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

George, Strictly speaking if you refer to the 3 phase power that
has available 120 nominal from phase to neutral then the phase to
phase voltage should be refered to as 208. This is Y connected.
There is the Delta connected that does indeed produce 220
or 240 but then the neutral is the centertap of one leg and the
voltage from the other (wild leg) will be a lot higher than
120
Maybe I shouldn't get involved in this.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:
This would only be true if the 3 phase is Wye connected. A delta
connection has no "neutral" and wouldn't do this.

Right?
Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Well, sometimes. Center tapped delta is very common in some parts of
the US. This is the service with the 'wild', 'high', or '*******' leg
that gives nominal 208 volts to neutral, while the other two give the
expected 120 volts. Usually the mill will be supplied by only the 3
phases and no neutral so there is no 120 or 208 there (not counting
doing something dumb like using ground as neutral). Sometimes there
might be a 120 vac circuit adjacent to the 3 phase disconnect for cord
and plug connection. I just use a separate SO cord over to the nearest
120 volt outlet for power feeds, coolant pumps, DRO's, work lights, etc.

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:24:10 -0600, Paul
wrote:
snip
Center tapped delta is very common in some parts of
the US.

snip
===========
Note UK extension on OP's email.
Chris

IIRC normal wall outlet voltage in the UK is 220v 50 cycle single
phase.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
snip-----

In the US it is common that these mills are wired to run off 220
volts 3 phase. Any one of the hot 3 phases should produce 110
volt single phase to neutral.

Careful, George. If the 3 phase is delta, the high (wild) leg to ground is
something like 208 volts----hardly the same as 120 volts.

Typically, if the voltage in question is 208 volts, phase to phase, it is
star and what you suggested is true. If the voltage is 240 phase to phase,
it's delta.

The wild leg is normally flagged a fluorescent red, and is found on the B
phase of a panel. Bruce may even correct what I've said, but I've had
delta service for all my shops and know all too well that you have to be
careful about picking 120 v from the panel.

In this case, if the wiring is 5 wires, all that is required is to use
either the A or C phase, along with the neutral, and you have 120 volts.
If it's only four wires, one ground, code no longer allows for the ground to
serve as a neutral.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:24:10 -0600, Paul
wrote:
snip

Center tapped delta is very common in some parts of
the US.

snip
===========
Note UK extension on OP's email.
Chris

IIRC normal wall outlet voltage in the UK is 220v 50 cycle single
phase.

Well spotted George, the guy did have at the bottom of his post that he
was in Kent UK also. The voltage used to be nominally 240V but due to
harmonisation with Europe is now nominally 230V. It is the phase to
neutral voltage so one phase of the 3 phase system and the neutral. 13A
as standard in the UK as well so 3kW from the wall socket.
Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All,

Hope someone can help me, I have purchased an 'Align' X axis Power
feed for my '86 Bridgeport 2HP Varispeed.

The align runs from a 110 volt supply and I understand I should have
an inbuilt 110v supply on the mill itself.

Looking at the supply panel on the mill, there is nothing obvious to
me, and the instructions with the feed are useless.
I could buy a separate transformer, but I hope that I don't need it.

Can anyone advise how these should be wired up at the mill please ?

Any help appreciated

Regards

Chris

Kent, Uk

=============
In the US it is common that these mills are wired to run off 220
volts 3 phase. Any one of the hot 3 phases should produce 110
volt single phase to neutral.

That is not neccessarily true. 208 V Wye circuits will provide 120 V
line to neutral. A 220 V Delta circuit may not have any associated
neutral. If it did, the L-N voltage would be a NOMINAL 127 V, which
sounds marginally OK, but I don't know of any 220 V power. It is
usually a NOMINAL 240 V, and actually runs higher. At 240 L-L, you'd
get 138 V L-N, which won't be good for it.

Does the OP not have an ordinary 120 V outlet within reach? What about
for lights, coolant, etc?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul wrote:
spaco wrote:

This would only be true if the 3 phase is Wye connected. A delta
connection has no "neutral" and wouldn't do this.

Right?
Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Well, sometimes. Center tapped delta is very common in some parts of
the US. This is the service with the 'wild', 'high', or '*******' leg
that gives nominal 208 volts to neutral, while the other two give the
expected 120 volts. Usually the mill will be supplied by only the 3
phases and no neutral so there is no 120 or 208 there (not counting
doing something dumb like using ground as neutral). Sometimes there
might be a 120 vac circuit adjacent to the 3 phase disconnect for cord
and plug connection. I just use a separate SO cord over to the nearest
120 volt outlet for power feeds, coolant pumps, DRO's, work lights, etc.

Yes, you absolutely MUST know what power you actually have before trying
to do this,
and then measure, anyway. There are both CORNER-grounded and
CENTER-grounded open-delta systems still in use, especially in smaller
shops, ma and pa groceries, etc. The corner-grounded systems are real
obvious as there are only two breakers on a supposedly 3-phase system.

Corner-grounded delta just uses two single-phase transformers. The
center-grounded scheme needs one transformer center-tapped like a home
120-240 transformer. It can be set up with just one other transformer
as open-delta, or with 3 transformers, total.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OP in Kent UK so 230V mains outlets, no 120V without transformer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks all - I have now ordered a transformer.

Rgds

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

208 V Wye circuits will provide 120 V
line to neutral. A 220 V Delta circuit may not have any associated
neutral. If it did, the L-N voltage would be a NOMINAL 127 V, which
sounds marginally OK, but I don't know of any 220 V power. It is
usually a NOMINAL 240 V, and actually runs higher. At 240 L-L, you'd
get 138 V L-N, which won't be good for it.

Does the OP not have an ordinary 120 V outlet within reach? What
about for lights, coolant, etc?

Jon

OP in Kent UK so 230V mains outlets, no 120V without transformer.

Yes, of course, I should have noticed. And, no 208 V there, as no need
to create these rather *******ized 120/208 V systems to run 120 V office
equipment and 3-phase gear like central air conditioners off a single
transformer.

Jon

Dumb Silicon Power Cube Question Bridgeport 6F feed ATP* Metalworking 2 March 25th 05 01:01 AM
Power feed on BP mill Roy Metalworking 6 February 17th 05 01:42 PM
Jet Power Feed on Vertical Mill [email protected] Metalworking 4 February 6th 05 08:10 PM
Bridgeport Power Feed to Servo conversion??? Craig Suslosky Metalworking 1 March 5th 04 04:59 AM
Help Installing Align Power Feed on Bridgeport Please? Wally Blackburn Metalworking 0 July 13th 03 03:28 PM