DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   6 " SQUARE TUBING vs. 6" channel Building 25' trailer (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/232430-6-square-tubing-vs-6-channel-building-25-trailer.html)

anderson2624 February 3rd 08 05:06 AM

6 " SQUARE TUBING vs. 6" channel Building 25' trailer

The idea is strength. outside frame... if a 4" square tubing can
handle the same stress as a 6' channel that would be my preference.
Logic tells me that might be such but ...

I have a 30 foot manufactured car trailer which works great with 6 inch
c channel... and some small cross beams.

6" 12 ga. channel with 6 inch jr i beams on 16" centers seems industry
standard for trailers which can have a total weight capibility of 16,000
pounds.

I would like to get the same ability with 4 inch 11 ga square tubing on
12 inch centers.

Any ideas out there for me I really need to know just how much weight
this FRAME should be expected to handle... and I am a total doo doo
head when it comes to higher math... but I want to learn

--
anderson2624

Nick Hull February 3rd 08 01:09 PM

6 " SQUARE TUBING vs. 6" channel Building 25' trailer

In article ,
anderson2624 wrote:

The idea is strength. outside frame... if a 4" square tubing can
handle the same stress as a 6' channel that would be my preference.
Logic tells me that might be such but ...

Not addressing strength, but enclosed channel rusts from the inside
easier than open channel, which self drains and does not trap moisture.