Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Follow rest

I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long 4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point. I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible scenario?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-03, oldjag wrote:
I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long 4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point.

I've seen someone post an article about a tool holder which
included a steady rest as part of it. I forget whether it was a
commercial device, or someone's homebrew. You might be able to make
something which will clamp with the last two setscrews in the holder
and use a fairly sort tool under the first two setscrews.

In my case, the traveling steady for my Clausing bolts to the
saddle extensions to the left of the carriage, and I can offset the
BXA sized toolpost with a combination of sliding the T-nut to one side
and using the compound to offset it enough.

But for the ones which bolt to the underside of the carriage,
like the South Bend ones, I'm not sure what you could do.
I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible scenario?

Yes -- with lots of care to protect the ways with that long a
travel of the carriage. My carriage won't even *go* 26". It is a
12x24" machine. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

oldjag wrote:
I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long 4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point. I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible scenario?

Here's one:

http://www.followerrest.com/followersite_001.htm

there is also a commercial product similar except all steel and more
compact, but I can't find it right now.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex wrote:
Here's one:

http://www.followerrest.com/followersite_001.htm ...

Whenever I see something like that, my first thought is "Could I build
something like that? Could I build it better?" I think that I could.
One of the first things I thought could be changed is the capacity.
That looks like it could handle very large stock. But how large do you
need a follower for? My lathe is 10 x 24. What is the minimum diameter
of a 24" piece that I can turn between centers without a follower?
1.5"? If so, the follower would only have to handle up to 1.5". Much
less than the one shown and easier to build.

Oh, wait ... I guess that one might use a follower for stock in a chuck
where the stick out is too long. I.e., not between centers. Where the
diameter might be larger than 1.5.

I dunno, but I think that one that would handle 1.5" stock would be
useful and easy to build. I'll think about it.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 5:46 pm, (Doug White) wrote:
In article , wrote:
oldjag wrote:
I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long 4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point. I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible scenario?

Here's one:

http://www.followerrest.com/followersite_001.htm

Looks interesting, but the page is several years old & several of the
photo links are messed up. I sent an email to see if he still exists.

Doug White

Yeah I saw that one, but didn't like the lack of apparent rigidity,
and not having rollerized work followers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Doug White wrote:
oldjag wrote:
I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long 4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point. I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible scenario?

Here's one:

http://www.followerrest.com/followersite_001.htm

Looks interesting, but the page is several years old & several of the
photo links are messed up. I sent an email to see if he still exists.

There is a better commercial version of similar design, all steel and
more compact. I just couldn't locate it yesterday. I have seen it it in
more than one of the big tool vendors catalogs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
oldjag wrote:
I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long 4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point. I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible scenario?
Here's one:

http://www.followerrest.com/followersite_001.htm

Looks interesting, but the page is several years old & several of the
photo links are messed up. I sent an email to see if he still exists.

There is a better commercial version of similar design, all steel and
more compact. I just couldn't locate it yesterday. I have seen it it in
more than one of the big tool vendors catalogs.

For the curious: I got an email back from the guy. He said he stopped
making them, but if he could find the parts, an AXA sized one would be
$150.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , wrote:
oldjag wrote:
I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long 4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point. I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible scenario?

Here's one:

http://www.followerrest.com/followersite_001.htm

Looks interesting, but the page is several years old & several of the
photo links are messed up. I sent an email to see if he still exists.

Doug White

Yeah I saw that one, but didn't like the lack of apparent rigidity,
and not having rollerized work followers.

Here's a home made one that may not be rigid, but has rollers:

http://www.frets.
com/FretsPages/Machining/Tooling/MiniFollower/minifollower.html

The rigidity could presumably be improved.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"oldjag" wrote in
message
I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long
4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone
have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an
Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the
lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point.
I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter
with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible
scenario?

Just another possibility----

A 3 ft chunk of 17mm oil hardening drill rod is
less that $20. If it would work, that
eliminates the turning part of the job and maybe
even the grinding part, depending
on what you need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 5, 7:23 pm, "BillM" wrote:
"oldjag" wrote in

I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long
4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone
have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an
Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the
lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point.
I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter
with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible
scenario?

Just another possibility----

A 3 ft chunk of 17mm oil hardening drill rod is
less that $20. If it would work, that
eliminates the turning part of the job and maybe
even the grinding part, depending
on what you need.

This is a swing arm shaft, and the 4140 provides a little more of a
safety factor than the drill rod. The shaft will be threaded on each
end after cutting it to size. So far I have not been able to locate
4140 shafting or ground stock in metric diameters. If all else fails,
I may try to find somewhere to have it centerless ground to size.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:24:47 -0800 (PST), oldjag
wrote:

If all else fails,
I may try to find somewhere to have it centerless ground to size.

http://www.bostoncenterless.com/materials.htm

My connection is as a satisfied customer.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Many times I have called MSC when I need something that isn't in the
catalog, but is close to something that is. The almost always contact
the vnedor and usually are able to quote it right there.

A 3 foot 17mm piece of drill rod sounds like a good candidate.

Pete Stanaitis

oldjag wrote:

"oldjag" wrote in