DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair) (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/232064-re-desoldering-question-miller-xmt-welder-repair.html)

Don Foreman January 31st 08 05:03 AM

Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 01:43:22 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob La Londe wrote:
Two words.

Solder wick.

You don't have a proper desolder tool, then? ;-)

I have several solder suckers. In close quarters sometimes solder wick does
the trick, and it always works. I've got one of those big blue nasty
things, and a couple of smaller aluminum solder suckers. In close quarters
I still find myself reach for the solder wick.

None of those little solder suckers compare to a real properly
functioning desoldering station. When I spent a summer working at a
fiends stereo repair shop we had the Hako deoldering stations and I
could desolder blown output modules faster than you could even uncoil
your solder wick.

Bet you didn't pay for the desoldering station, though.

Wick is my go-to for surfacemount, the Soldapullt for thru-hole and
terminals. If production were an issue, revenue would buy
best-available tools. These get 'er done for me.

Ignoramus19508 January 31st 08 06:32 AM

On 2008-01-31, Don Foreman wrote:
None of those little solder suckers compare to a real properly
functioning desoldering station. When I spent a summer working at a
fiends stereo repair shop we had the Hako deoldering stations and I
could desolder blown output modules faster than you could even uncoil
your solder wick.

Bet you didn't pay for the desoldering station, though.

Wick is my go-to for surfacemount, the Soldapullt for thru-hole and
terminals. If production were an issue, revenue would buy
best-available tools. These get 'er done for me.

I paid for mine, I believe it was $470 for two PACE stations.