Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default GE magnetic contactor?

I picked up some '70s era GE NEMA 1 magnetic contactors, NOS, military
spares. They have overload relays that accept heater inserts and are
adjustable within ±15% of nominal via a thumbwheel. Clearly the heater
inserts are literally just that - they heat the inside of the overload
relay. Beyond that, though, I'm stumped. I'm trying to figure out how
these overload relays work. Anyone know? The overload relay number is
CR124 if that helps.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...wd1_FcldMO-zkA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 26, 11:42*am, Grant Erwin wrote:
I picked up some '70s era GE NEMA 1 magnetic contactors, NOS, military
spares. They have overload relays that accept heater inserts and are
adjustable within ±15% of nominal via a thumbwheel. Clearly the heater
inserts are literally just that - they heat the inside of the overload
relay. Beyond that, though, I'm stumped. I'm trying to figure out how
these overload relays work. Anyone know? The overload relay number is
CR124 if that helps.

Grant

A contactor and an overload relay together are called a starter.

The heaters in the overload relay are interchangeable (to match
the current requirements of the circuit), and are intended to
heat either a bi-metalic element or a meltable metalic compound
(later models may be fully electronic) which allows an internal
switch (normally used to carry current through the contactor coil)
to open which breaks the holding curcuit and allows the contactor
points to seperate.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ah. Bimetallic strip. Makes sense. Doesn't explain how the thumbwheel works,
but gives me a general idea.

Grant

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...wd1_FcldMO-zkA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-26, Grant Erwin wrote:
Ah. Bimetallic strip. Makes sense. Doesn't explain how the thumbwheel works,
but gives me a general idea.

probably adjusts tension on the strip

Grant

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...wd1_FcldMO-zkA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 26, 11:42*am, Grant Erwin wrote:
I picked up some '70s era GE NEMA 1 magnetic contactors, NOS, military
spares. They have overload relays that accept heater inserts and are
adjustable within ±15% of nominal via a thumbwheel. Clearly the heater
inserts are literally just that - they heat the inside of the overload
relay. Beyond that, though, I'm stumped. I'm trying to figure out how
these overload relays work. Anyone know? The overload relay number is
CR124 if that helps.

Grant

A little latching bar sits on the thumb wheel to hole the points
closed...
When the strip heats up from to much current it releases the thumb
wheel letting it spin letting the latch fall off the wheel letting the
points come open...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:08:21 -0600, Ignoramus17333

On 2008-01-26, Grant Erwin wrote:
Ah. Bimetallic strip. Makes sense. Doesn't explain how the thumbwheel works,
but gives me a general idea.

probably adjusts tension on the strip

Correct. More tension, faster trip.

Gunner

Grant

On 2008-01-26, Grant Erwin wrote:

I picked up some '70s era GE NEMA 1 magnetic contactors, NOS, military
spares. They have overload relays that accept heater inserts and are
adjustable within ±15% of nominal via a thumbwheel. Clearly the heater
inserts are literally just that - they heat the inside of the overload
relay. Beyond that, though, I'm stumped. I'm trying to figure out how
these overload relays work. Anyone know? The overload relay number is
CR124 if that helps.

Grant

Magnetic field -- electrical machinery1st, static magnetic field1) [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 November 24th 06 10:32 PM
-- Magnetic motor 1, the static magnetic field 1) Motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 October 3rd 06 01:21 PM
AC Switch or contactor Phil Electronics Repair 12 September 29th 05 04:51 PM
Changeover contactor Rupert UK diy 6 August 15th 05 02:04 PM
contactor or relay recommendation Rich.Andrews Electronics Repair 10 August 30th 04 08:04 PM