DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drill Jig Name (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/231307-drill-jig-name.html)

kthr33 January 24th 08 08:20 PM

Drill Jig Name

We need to replace a drill jig fixture but are having trouble finding
a replacement apparently because we don't know it's name. The one we
have has an oval shaped foot print. To open the fixture a handle is
raised. The handle is attached to a shaft sticking out of the base.
When the handle is raised it rotates the shaft which in turn raises
two posts, one on each side of the fixture. These posts raise a jig
mounting plate. A new part to be drilled is placed on a pedastel under
the jig bolted to the bottom of the jig mounting plate and the handle
is lowered. This pulls the drill jig down against the part clamping
the part between the drill jig and the pedeatal. Has anoyone heard of
this type of fixture? What keyword would be a good search word for
this? All ideas, suggestions, and comments will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, K.

Tove Momerathsson[_2_] January 24th 08 09:04 PM

Drill Jig Name

kthr33 wrote:
We need to replace a drill jig fixture but are having trouble finding
a replacement apparently because we don't know it's name. The one we
have has an oval shaped foot print. To open the fixture a handle is
raised. The handle is attached to a shaft sticking out of the base.
When the handle is raised it rotates the shaft which in turn raises
two posts, one on each side of the fixture. These posts raise a jig
mounting plate. A new part to be drilled is placed on a pedastel under
the jig bolted to the bottom of the jig mounting plate and the handle
is lowered. This pulls the drill jig down against the part clamping
the part between the drill jig and the pedeatal. Has anoyone heard of
this type of fixture? What keyword would be a good search word for
this? All ideas, suggestions, and comments will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, K.

This sounds like a toggle clamp. I searched for those two words at
http://www1.mscdirect.com and they have 300 different varieties.

Tove

[email protected] January 24th 08 09:21 PM

Drill Jig Name

On Jan 24, 1:04 pm, Tove Momerathsson wrote:
kthr33 wrote:
[...]

Yes, the handle and all the parts it operates is/are called a toggle
clamp. However, the rest of the fixture will have been custom made to
fit the part you are drilling. Even the toggle clamp may have been
custom made. Someone should have a drawing of the whole thing, but you
may not be able to find it!!!!

Paul

Bob's my cat January 25th 08 12:17 AM

Drill Jig Name

On Jan 24, 12:20 pm, kthr33 wrote:
We need to replace a drill jig fixture but are having trouble finding
a replacement apparently because we don't know it's name. The one we
have has an oval shaped foot print. To open the fixture a handle is
raised. The handle is attached to a shaft sticking out of the base.
When the handle is raised it rotates the shaft which in turn raises
two posts, one on each side of the fixture. These posts raise a jig
mounting plate. A new part to be drilled is placed on a pedastel under
the jig bolted to the bottom of the jig mounting plate and the handle
is lowered. This pulls the drill jig down against the part clamping
the part between the drill jig and the pedeatal. Has anoyone heard of
this type of fixture? What keyword would be a good search word for
this? All ideas, suggestions, and comments will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, K.

I believe that would be a called "pump jig" though CarrLane calls them
Lift-N-C&trede; "Lift 'n see"? LOL, tool makers are some funny guys.
http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/inde...3C3B285355425B
these ones are not oval, thought I think I have seen oval ones in OLD
books.
Of course the work holding stops and drill bushings are custom for the
specific job, be the bases are available off the shelf.

Ned Simmons January 25th 08 03:12 AM

Drill Jig Name

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:20:28 -0800 (PST), kthr33
wrote:

We need to replace a drill jig fixture but are having trouble finding
a replacement apparently because we don't know it's name.

Something like this?
http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/inde...3C3B285355425B

--
Ned Simmons

kthr33 January 28th 08 11:19 PM

Drill Jig Name

Thanks Everyone. Some of the old fellers round here referred to it as
a "pump jig", so they knew what they were talking about after all.
Cool. Thanks for the link. I should have thought of Carr Lane on my
own. Appreciate the help. K.

Something like this?http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/inde...1118070C1C513E...

--
Ned Simmons