Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default prices for quasi-scrap (leftovers)?

Hi,

Checking the classifieds this morning for whatever, I noted
someone selling some leftover brass and stainless rod stock.

Now, I don't understand the commodities market... there is some
base value that gold, say, is worth on the market. Let's peg it at
$900/oz. But if I'm buying scrap, it should cost less than $900, and
if I'm buying refined alloyed ingots or even better, sheets, gold
leaf, wire, etc., it should cost rather more than $900. What is that
commodity priced based on? Is it for cast ingot form, not scrap, or
further worked sheets and wires?

I'm actually making walking cane heads out of stainless; figure
it'll be cheaper than brass and won't stain the user's hands like
aluminum will. I have no idea what alloy he has (and nor does he), or
how to test for it; but anything really should work for such a general
and low-key operation as a walking stick head?
If it's about 75 pounds' worth, but is refined, better than scrap
for sure; what should I offer? I should offer more than scrap price,
which i found was $.75-$.85/lb depending on just what alloy he has;
but much less than "retail" price because I've limited myself to just
1.5" diameter rod and fully 75 pounds of it, compared to picking out
various sizes from the huge selection of the suppliers down at the
dock.
The other option is that the brass might make a good cane head, and
more rustic with the tarnish besides...

thanks!!
-Bernard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
Hi,

Checking the classifieds this morning for whatever, I noted
someone selling some leftover brass and stainless rod stock.

Now, I don't understand the commodities market... there is some
base value that gold, say, is worth on the market. Let's peg it at
$900/oz. But if I'm buying scrap, it should cost less than $900, and
if I'm buying refined alloyed ingots or even better, sheets, gold
leaf, wire, etc., it should cost rather more than $900. What is that
commodity priced based on? Is it for cast ingot form, not scrap, or
further worked sheets and wires?

The first thing you have to do is differentiate 'scrap' from 'leftover'
metals.
Leftovers from a metal supply house are commonly called 'drops' or
'burnouts'. Drops are short leftover pieces of stock from sawing operations
that the supplier has no (or little) immediate demand for. The supplier may
warehouse the drops in the hopes some buys them or may just recycle them.
Since the quality of the drop is known, the supplier will sell them at (or
near) market prices.
Locally, one metal supplier sometimes sells drops at market prices, one
sells at _above_ market, and one never sells so much as a chip and really
doesn't want to talk to you unless you're buying material by the ton. I buy
from speedymetals.com .
Burnouts are the same as drops, but are pieces of stock from burning (torch)
operations .

Scrap is metal that has been used or altered and may need to be
significantly reworked or reprocessed before it can be reused. Scrap is the
stuff in railcars headed for the foundry.

Frankly, I don't understand the commodities market either, but I do know
that precious metals such as gold are in a league of their own. Jewelers
collect the smallest chips and dust particles from machining operations so
that they may be recycled.

HTH-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 27, 9:21*am, "Carl Byrns" wrote:
[...]

Commodities are a "legal" form of gambling with all of its dangers.

A quick way I decide whether or not surplus metal is worth chasing is
time/storage versus cost...is it worth the time/storage you will
invest versus the money you will save?

Dropoffs of KNOWN consistency are worth chasing if offered at a decent
discount (remember your time and storage space is worth money) while
metal of questionable lineage which may take significant labor to
salvage is often not worth picking up.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 24, 1:54*am, Bernard Arnest wrote:

...I have no idea what alloy he has (and nor does he), or
how to test for it; but anything really should work for such a general
and low-key operation as a walking stick head?

The test is, does a sample piece machine well.

* * If it's about 75 pounds' worth, but is refined, better than scrap
for sure; what should I offer? *...
* * * * * * * * * -Bernard

Less than he wants, more than he paid. Negotiate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Byrns wrote:

The first thing you have to do is differentiate 'scrap' from 'leftover'
metals.

Yeah, if someone asks me for some scrap I show them the chips. Being a
research shop at a university we don't throw much away.
Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just paid $3.61 a pound for 304 stainless round bar in 1 1/2"
diameter, in a 12 foot length.

So that tells you about what new price would be.

As you said, scrap is going for .75/lb or so, the price they pay YOU
at the scrapyard- but if you try to buy the same piece back you just
sold em for .75, they are gonna want more than that. How much more
depends on location.

So any price the two of you can agree on between .75 and $3.61 is a
deal for you- how much of a deal depends on your haggling skills.

Anything under a buck and a half a pound is pretty darn good, if you
ask me.

scrap prices jdabreeze Metalworking 11 September 16th 07 01:08 PM
scrap metal prices? Tom The Great Home Repair 5 January 18th 07 12:08 AM
scrap metal prices in the UK ? . UK diy 0 July 30th 06 04:28 PM
RAS leftovers Chip Chester Woodworking 2 March 22nd 06 10:36 PM
Scrap metal prices fred UK diy 12 October 2nd 05 12:06 AM