DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Taper on grinder spindle, how to measure (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/231165-taper-grinder-spindle-how-measure.html)

[email protected] January 24th 08 01:52 AM

Taper on grinder spindle, how to measure

If a grinder spindle is listed as being 3"/ft taper, is that per side
or included?

I'm still tring to figure out what the taper on my B & S surface
grinder is.

Using a dial indicator and the crossfeed I get the following

X .100
Y .794

X.119
Y1.000

X.181
Y1.400

X being the dial indicator on the spindle taper and y being cross feed
travel.

Works out to around 7.11 degrees or 1.50"/ft (per side)

My spindle does not LOOK like is is a very steep taper like pictures
I've seen of a 3"/ft grinding wheel adaptor.

My plan is to make my own adaptor, and test fit it to the spindle with
some prussian blue for fit. trial and error with lots of very small
cuts.

Remove 333 to reply via email

Wes[_2_] January 26th 08 03:41 PM

Wes[_2_] January 26th 08 04:13 PM

wrote:

[...]

As I understand it a 12" rod 3" in diameter would taper to nothing over a
foot, the included angle would be 14.25 degrees.

FWIW the included angle of a r8 collet is 16 degrees 51' just to give you an
eyeball reference.

Wes

John Martin January 26th 08 09:55 PM

On Jan 23, 8:52*pm, wrote:
[...]

Sopko on their web site show quite a few spindle variations.

http://www.wmsopko.com/products.htm

John Martin

spaco January 27th 08 05:06 AM

Taper on grinder spindle, how to measure

I find Machinery's Handbook a good reference for this sort of thing.
And, since it is a Browne and Sharpe tool, it probably has a B&S taper.

Pete Stanaitis