DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tools and Being Cheap...Err..Frugal (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/230974-tools-being-cheap-err-frugal.html)

Too_Many_Tools January 22nd 08 05:44 PM

Tools and Being Cheap...Err..Frugal

Well I like tools and I am also cheap...err...frugal.

I would be interested in your stories, suggestions and recommendations
of how you have fed your tool habit....err..needs.

Thanks

TMT

Silicon Sam January 22nd 08 06:48 PM

On Jan 22, 11:44*am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Well I like tools and I am also cheap...err...frugal.

I would be interested in your stories, suggestions and recommendations
of how you have fed your tool habit....err..needs.

Thanks

TMT

Out here in Central Texas we have lots of pawn shops. I hit them
often for DVD's mostly, but I always look at the tools and cameras. I
usually find some good deals on stuff that has been marked down
because it's sat there too long, or it doesn't work.

Recently picked up a Cat V cable tester for $10 with a dead battery,
a Sperry circuit tester for $1 (said it was not working, once I
downloaded the manual, I figured out how to use it.), and just
recently a Shimpo digital tachometer for $10. Marked down from the
original price of $145. Just needed the battery terminals cleaned.

A few hand tools, a variable speed Craftsman grinding wheel ($20).
One pawn shop I used to go to, which was sold recently, used to put
all their hand tools in a big bin, and I can't recall how many Klien
hand tools I got for 50 cents each.

Raymond

[email protected] January 22nd 08 07:06 PM

On Jan 22, 9:44 am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Well I like tools and I am also cheap...err...frugal.

I would be interested in your stories, suggestions and recommendations
of how you have fed your tool habit....err..needs.

Thanks

TMT

Mostly from auction sales, including machine shops, estate auctions
and farm auctions. Garage sales. Very few at pawn shops. Few picked up
on road/highway during walks.

Paul

Steve Monroe January 22nd 08 09:24 PM

Tools and Being Cheap...Err..Frugal

Local Pick-A-Part car salvage is good for mechanics tools sometimes. I lose
something just about every time I go out there. : (

"xman" wrote in message
. ..

" wrote in message
On Jan 22, 9:44 am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Well I like tools and I am also cheap...err...frugal.

I would be interested in your stories, suggestions and recommendations
of how you have fed your tool habit....err..needs.

Thanks

TMT

Mostly from auction sales, including machine shops, estate auctions
and farm auctions. Garage sales. Very few at pawn shops. Few picked up
on road/highway during walks.

Paul

Have used a bunch of metal strapping, the stuff that holds lumber
together, when the fork lift drops the load at the construction site. The
2 inch width stuff. weld it, bend it, drill it, its hard stuff. Don't
bother with the 1 inch or smaller width.

Thirft shops for alot of junk for prototypes. Like a bunch of golf clubs,
cut the golf ball hitter end off, use the round tubing...worked out
great....

Got 3 tripods for camers at thrift shop for about $10. salvation army...
worked okay for small studio sets...

xman

William Noble January 23rd 08 02:33 AM

Tools and Being Cheap...Err..Frugal

the best way is to wait for someone with way too many tools to die with no
heirs that want them, then get them for a song..... you may read a moral
into that statment if you wish.

rgentle January 23rd 08 03:42 PM

On Jan 22, 1:48*pm, Silicon Sam wrote:
[...]

I buy wholsale Tools & resell them at http://gentleenterprize.biz
under retail all new! Craftsman & others.
Chheck web site out!

[email protected] January 23rd 08 08:23 PM

On Jan 22, 6:33 pm, "William Noble" wrote:
the best way is to wait for someone with way too many tools to die with no
heirs that want them, then get them for a song..... you may read a moral
into that statment if you wish.

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

Well I like tools and I am also cheap...err...frugal.

I would be interested in your stories, suggestions and recommendations
of how you have fed your tool habit....err..needs.

Thanks

TMT

So that is why the pickup trucks are circling around my place!

Paul

SteveB[_2_] January 25th 08 04:18 AM

Tools and Being Cheap...Err..Frugal

It's like anything else .......... know your goods, and look around. Yard
sales, pawn shops, estate sales, whatever. Lots of times you can pick up
good stuff for pennies on the dollar. Just don't get excited and tip your
hand to the seller. I have really quit buying stuff, as I have so many
tools. How many screwdrivers and drill bits does a guy need, anyway?

But, in the past six months, I got a DeWalt 16" compound saw, a Makita
rotohammer, a Milwaukee SawZall and a Porter Cable 1 to 2.5" nailer. Top
price, $40.

Steve

Too_Many_Tools January 25th 08 04:38 AM

On Jan 22, 8:33*pm, "William Noble" wrote:
the best way is to wait for someone with way too many tools to die with no
heirs that want them, then get them for a song..... *you may read a moral
into that statment if you wish.

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

Well I like tools and I am also cheap...err...frugal.

I would be interested in your stories, suggestions and recommendations
of how you have fed your tool habit....err..needs.

Thanks

TMT

LOL...the vultures always circle my shop.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools January 25th 08 04:39 AM

On Jan 24, 10:18*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
It's like anything else .......... know your goods, and look around. *Yard
sales, pawn shops, estate sales, whatever. *Lots of times you can pick up
good stuff for pennies on the dollar. *Just don't get excited and tip your
hand to the seller. *I have really quit buying stuff, as I have so many
tools. *How many screwdrivers and drill bits does a guy need, anyway?

But, in the past six months, I got a DeWalt 16" compound saw, a Makita
rotohammer, a Milwaukee SawZall and a Porter Cable 1 to 2.5" nailer. *Top
price, $40.

Steve

I have really quit buying stuff, as I have so many
tools. How many screwdrivers and drill bits does a guy need, anyway?

This is the question that led to the concept of infinity.

TMT