Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Logan Spindle Cam Lock adapter

Is there an adapter available to allow a Logan Lathe spindle take Cam
Lock Chucks? Hopefully D1-4.

Thanks
Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob AZ wrote:

Is there an adapter available to allow a Logan Lathe spindle take Cam
Lock Chucks? Hopefully D1-4.

Thanks
Bob AZ

What spindle does the Logan have? I'm no lathe expert, but I don't
recall ever seeing a spindle series adapter anywhere. I expect you could
fab one from a chuck mount adapter for the Logan and a cam-lock spindle
head for an Asian lathe. I expect beyond loosing a fair amount of your
bed length, you'd also loose rigidity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
Bob AZ wrote:

Is there an adapter available to allow a Logan Lathe spindle take Cam
Lock Chucks? Hopefully D1-4.

Thanks
Bob AZ

snip----

you'd also lose rigidity.

Indeed. Extending the spindle by any fashion, especially on light duty
machines, is a mistake. A good friend bought a new chuck, with master
jaws, for his lathe. The original is very short. The new chuck has been the
source of chatter that was unknown previously.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:41:14 -0800 (PST), Bob AZ
wrote:

Is there an adapter available to allow a Logan Lathe spindle take Cam
Lock Chucks? Hopefully D1-4.

Since you don't say which Logan Lathe you have it is hard to give an
accurate answer, except that what you are asking would not be
advisable, as noted in other comments.

However, some Logan Lathes were fitted from the factory with a D1-3 or
D1-4 spindle, and if your lathe is otherwise similar, a used spindle
from another lathe (or in some cases, we can also provide a new
spindle), could be installed.

If you can provide your Model and Serial Numbers, I can provide a more
informed answer.

You might want to ask your question on the "official" Logan Lathe
Yahoo Group.

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/