Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF bandsaw problem - blade riding down out of guides

Greetings all,

Patient: Carolina HD-10 horizontal bandsaw , 16tpi wavy-like-hacksaw
93" blade
Typical usage: cutting thinwall mild steel tubing with light-to-
moderate downfeed pressure
Symptoms: all is proceeding normally when suddenly blade starts to
attempt to run out under the guides nearest the motor until the weight
of the downfeed becomes too great and forces it back up against the
top guide bearing nearest the motor with a moderately loud "bang".
This cycle repeats roughly 5 times per second. The wear pattern on the
backside horizontal bearing nearest the motor shows all the wear is on
the bottom edge. The wear pattern on the frontside horizontal bearing
nearest the motor shows even wear across the entire bearing face.

Now the only way to keep the spine of the blade against the top guide
bearing nearest the motor is to apply full downfeed pressure.

Anyone have this happen to them? And if so how did you fix it? What
adjustments did you make to the saw? The positions of the three guide
bearings are fixed within the cast-iron guide block.

What to do?

TIA,

Still-learning Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Symptoms: all is proceeding normally when suddenly blade starts to
attempt to run out under the guides nearest the motor until the weight
of the downfeed becomes too great and forces it back up against the
top guide bearing nearest the motor with a moderately loud "bang".
This cycle repeats roughly 5 times per second.

Check the bearings in both the main idler wheel and in the gearbox for
the driving wheel. I suspect that you've got some play in there
that's sending the blade off the end of the main wheels due to
misalignment, and you're only seeing the symptoms of it at the
guides. That's my guess, anyway.

Does the blade track correctly with no load?

--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Suggest you get a copy of "Band Saw Handbook" by Mark Duginske and read
it carefully.

To me, it sounds like it might be time for a blade change. And it sounds
like your blade might be too loose.

Did it ever work correctly? Is the saw new? Under warranty?

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Keith Marshall wrote:

I'm by no means an expert but it seems to me you need a blade with more
teeth. You didn't say how thin the tubing wall is but IIRC you generally
want about 4 teeth in the metal at one time so a 16tpi blade should be used
on 1/4" metal.

In fact, here's a reference that should help. They say your blade "Should
have at least 3 teeth and less than 12 teeth in the work piece".

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

That makes it about impossible to cut 1/16" sheet metal with a
bandsaw.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Keith Marshall wrote:

I'm by no means an expert but it seems to me you need a blade with
more teeth. You didn't say how thin the tubing wall is but IIRC you
generally want about 4 teeth in the metal at one time so a 16tpi blade
should be used on 1/4" metal.

In fact, here's a reference that should help. They say your blade
"Should have at least 3 teeth and less than 12 teeth in the work piece".

That makes it about impossible to cut 1/16" sheet metal with a
bandsaw.
...lew...

Yes, but in fact it isn't impossible .. you just feed it in slowly. I don't
think it's very good for the bandsaw blade, though. But I do it when I need to,
and I generally use 14 tpi blade stock on my vertical.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:41:10 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hartswick quickly quoth:

Keith Marshall wrote:

I'm by no means an expert but it seems to me you need a blade with more
teeth. You didn't say how thin the tubing wall is but IIRC you generally
want about 4 teeth in the metal at one time so a 16tpi blade should be used
on 1/4" metal.

In fact, here's a reference that should help. They say your blade "Should
have at least 3 teeth and less than 12 teeth in the work piece".

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

That makes it about impossible to cut 1/16" sheet metal with a
bandsaw.

Angle that puppy, boy. g

--
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-- Mark Twain