DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Changing the plug on Welder Cable (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/229489-re-changing-plug-welder-cable.html)

Grant Erwin January 11th 08 08:04 PM

Changing the plug on Welder Cable

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:

I just bought a used welder which is larger than my old one. The
seller only sold the welder, not his cables. The cables on my old
welder are fine, and are supposedly made for all welders. At least
that is what I thought. For some reason the plug on the Ground Cable
on this new welder is thicker than the Hot one, so the standard cable
plugs fall right out. Yesterday I stopped at our local farm supply
store. They carry a good selection of welding items, and they did
have the thicker plug. I was just going to change it, when I
discovered that I can not figure out how to remove the old plug. I
dont want to break it, because I may want to use my old welder in the
future again.

Could you buy a "thicker" socket in addition to the new "thicker" plug
and use the two of them to make a "plug adaptor" so you'd be able to
easily use the Ground Cable on your old welder when and if you need to?

Jeff

I might try a cutoff wheel on a die grinder to heavily score the shield,
then gently use a utility knife to try to cut through the remainder
hopefully without cutting through the insulation below.

Also, carefully check the larger socket. If it appears significantly worn,
you may want to replace it with one which fits your ground cable. Actually,
you may want to replace it rather than the plug anyway, that neatly
bypasses the problem of removing the plug.

I like Tweco cable connectors. They are easy to use.

Grant