Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mystery Parts

Hi All;

Been cleaning up a bit lately, and would like to identify some parts I
got with my South Bend 9" A model a few years ago. I'm not sure that all
of them are related to the lathe, or even if they're all metalworking
tools. I'd like to at least figure out if they're worth keeping or
finding a good home for. Any information is appreciated. The filenames
are based on guesses of what I think the items are/were. And they really
aren't as rusty as they appear in the photos, honest!

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Unidentified.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...oilwinder1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...oilwinder2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...vidinghead.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...dingrests1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedmisc1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedMisc2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedStop1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedStop2.jpg

Thanks!

Pete
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.

Robert Frost (1874-1963)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The dividing head is an indexing head, but a pretty simple one. Used
with a milling machine, shaper or planer, surface or cutter grinder.
A true dividing head has gearing and index plates that will allow a
variety of indexing options.
This one is limited to the number of teeth on whatever gear is
installed on it.
Should have a tailstock.

Misc1 - upper right: quill adapter for a drill press to allow mounting
hollow chisels for mortising.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Martin wrote:
The dividing head is an indexing head, but a pretty simple one. Used
with a milling machine, shaper or planer, surface or cutter grinder.
A true dividing head has gearing and index plates that will allow a
variety of indexing options.
This one is limited to the number of teeth on whatever gear is
installed on it.
Should have a tailstock.

Yeah, it should have a tailstock, unfortunately it doesn't. It's also
missing the split cotter lock for the spindle. ;-) Any idea who the
manufacturer might have been? Atlas?

Misc1 - upper right: quill adapter for a drill press to allow mounting
hollow chisels for mortising.

That was my thought as well, but the finish is the same as the other
parts in the picture, which made me think it might have been something
else, but I can't see how all those parts are related. You're probably
right.

Thanks

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence
over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.

Richard Feynman.(1918-1988)
Personal Observations on the Reliability of the (Space) Shuttle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Snell wrote:

Yeah, it should have a tailstock, unfortunately it doesn't. It's also
missing the split cotter lock for the spindle. ;-) Any idea who the
manufacturer might have been? Atlas?

I've got one with the tailstock, in really good condition,
and could not find any data indicating who made it.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Pete Snell wrote:

Yeah, it should have a tailstock, unfortunately it doesn't. It's also
missing the split cotter lock for the spindle. ;-) Any idea who the
manufacturer might have been? Atlas?

I've got one with the tailstock, in really good condition, and could not
find any data indicating who made it.

Nice! Did it come with extra indexing 'gears'? If I had a mill, I'd
make some parts for the one I have.......

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

In a car everything you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer
and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame. On a cycle the frame is
completely gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the
scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is
overwhelming.

Robert Pirsig
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. (1974)
Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...vidinghead.jpg
The indexing unit is definitely off an atlas mill.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedmisc1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedMisc2.jpg

These are parts from several things. The big yoke is part of a drill press
mortising rig, and the block with clamp and the forked bit are from an atlas
wheel dresser for a tool post grinder.

Paul K. Dickman

"Pete Snell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

The indexing unit is definitely off an atlas mill.

Great! Might be worth cleaning up and finding some parts for. Thanks!

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedmisc1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedMisc2.jpg

These are parts from several things. The big yoke is part of a drill press
mortising rig, and the block with clamp and the forked bit are from an atlas
wheel dresser for a tool post grinder.

The wheel dresser makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of that. Could
the 'grinding rests' be for sharpening end mills on the same set up?

Thanks alot!

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-10, Pete Snell wrote:
John Martin wrote:

[ ... ]

Misc1 - upper right: quill adapter for a drill press to allow mounting
hollow chisels for mortising.

That was my thought as well, but the finish is the same as the other
parts in the picture, which made me think it might have been something
else, but I can't see how all those parts are related. You're probably
right.

Hmm ... could it mount in place of the compound? If so, it
might be part of a radius turning setup. I think that one of the other
pieces in the same photo (the part below it with the slotted arm) may go
in the upper (small) end and turn a HSS lathe bit to cut the radius.
That fitting would be for negative radii, while another one (with a
crank-like design) would be for turning positive radii like balls.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Snell wrote:
John Martin wrote:

The dividing head is an indexing head, but a pretty simple one. Used
with a milling machine, shaper or planer,

Specifically, one manufactured by Atlas as an accessory for the Atlas
milling machine.

A picture can be seen he

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasmiller/index.html

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:01:03 -0500, Pete Snell wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote:
Pete Snell wrote:

Yeah, it should have a tailstock, unfortunately it doesn't. It's also
missing the split cotter lock for the spindle. ;-) Any idea who the
manufacturer might have been? Atlas?

I've got one with the tailstock, in really good condition, and could not
find any data indicating who made it.

Nice! Did it come with extra indexing 'gears'? If I had a mill, I'd
make some parts for the one I have.......

Pete

Most are made to work withselected gears from the threading
(crossfeed) set.(Change-gears)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Snell wrote:
Paul K. Dickman wrote:

The indexing unit is definitely off an atlas mill.

Great! Might be worth cleaning up and finding some parts for. Thanks!

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedmisc1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ifiedMisc2.jpg

These are parts from several things. The big yoke is part of a drill
press mortising rig, and the block with clamp and the forked bit are
from an atlas wheel dresser for a tool post grinder.

The wheel dresser makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of that. Could
the 'grinding rests' be for sharpening end mills on the same set up?

Thanks alot!

Pete

Pete, I have a tailstock that matches!

Pretty close to the matching paint chips!

Wanna make a deal? Either way?

If you were inclined to be parting with the headstock, we might make
an arrangement, as I have a small mill it would fit.

If not, we could deal on the tailstock...

Definately Atlas!

Email me if you want to see the pictures.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:

Specifically, one manufactured by Atlas as an accessory for the Atlas
milling machine.

A picture can be seen he

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasmiller/index.html

That's it! But without the tailstock. Thanks Kevin.

Pete