Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ace Ace is offline

Default looking to replace B&D 1/4 corded drill

I dropped my 'old' Black & Decker 1/4 inch drill motor (now called corded
drill ???), and broke the brush holder among other things. Tore down and
put brush back (even though holder itself was 'missing'). Seemed like a
good fix untill I drilled 3 holes the other day. Then it quit again, with
the telltale smell of burnt electrical ????

So, after Google search, visit to Walmart, Lowes, Ace Hardware, and check at
Sears.com, I haven't been able to locate a replacement!

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can be
obtained? Or am I looking for something that is no longer manufactured?
Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and up, not for my
occasional need once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 20:09:40 GMT, "Ace"
wrote:

Funny you should ask. That was exactly what was on my Christmas wish
list.
Mine was so old it had the cord that was 12" long. I got so sick of
the cord being so short.
The short cord wasn't a bad idea because you needed an extension cord
anyway. But the plug kept getting caught on the edge of the workbench.

I pulled it out and installed a cord about 6' long from a hand mixer
that gave up the smoke. The drill has fast rpm's so it was great for
drilling small holes, until I got the cord wrapped around the chuck
and now it don't work no more.
Didn't get one for Christmas. Wife couldn't find one.
I'll be curious to see the responses to your inquiry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ace" wrote in
:

I dropped my 'old' Black & Decker 1/4 inch drill motor (now called
corded drill ???), and broke the brush holder among other things.
Tore down and put brush back (even though holder itself was
'missing'). Seemed like a good fix untill I drilled 3 holes the other
day. Then it quit again, with the telltale smell of burnt electrical
????

So, after Google search, visit to Walmart, Lowes, Ace Hardware, and
check at Sears.com, I haven't been able to locate a replacement!

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can
be obtained? Or am I looking for something that is no longer
manufactured? Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and
up, not for my occasional need once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

Are you looking for a 1/4" for its size or its speed?

Single-speeds @ 2500-3000 RPM are available with a 3/8" chuck for as low as
$10.

Variable speeds @ 0-1200 RPM are available with a 3/8" chuck for as low as
$20.

Small-sized units all seem to be either battery-powered or pneumatic.

The 1/4" chuck size seems to be well on its way to extinction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I dropped my 'old' Black & Decker 1/4 inch drill motor (now called corded
drill ???), and broke the brush holder among other things. Tore down and
put brush back (even though holder itself was 'missing'). Seemed like a
good fix untill I drilled 3 holes the other day. Then it quit again, with
the telltale smell of burnt electrical ????

So, after Google search, visit to Walmart, Lowes, Ace Hardware, and check at
Sears.com, I haven't been able to locate a replacement!

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can be
obtained? Or am I looking for something that is no longer manufactured?
Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and up, not for my
occasional need once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

Buy a variable speed 3/8" or wait for the garage sale season.
1/4" drills are virtually obsolete.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 12:09 pm, "Ace" wrote:
snip....

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can be
obtained? Or am I looking for something that is no longer manufactured?
Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and up, not for my
occasional need once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

I think Makita still makes one, at 4500RPM it is good for small holes
in sheet metal, I'd imagine they would be popular with home aircraft
builders who don't have (or don't want to listen to) large air
compressors, when I got mine it was about $60, but that was a while
ago, they could be $100 now, so that might be one you saw.
Even if they were $60, for "occasional need once or twice a year" I'd
get a cheap 3/8" drill, which are much more common and can be had much
cheaper
Jay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Jeez, around here those go for like a buck at garage sales. If I had an
old Black & Decker 1/4" corded drill motor which broke, I'd light a candle
to the saints and bless my lucky day, and go buy a cordless drill.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Look in pawn shops, and the less desirable ones (like 1/4") just wait for
someone like you to come along. Also look in places that rebuild tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As others noticed, 1/4" corded drills cost nothing at garage sales and
liquidations. They are not adequate for very many real life needs. I
would frankly look for at least 3/8" capacity, which will still cost
you next to nothing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 3:09 pm, "Ace" wrote:
I dropped my 'old' Black & Decker 1/4 inch drill motor (now called corded
drill ???), and broke the brush holder among other things. Tore down and
put brush back (even though holder itself was 'missing'). Seemed like a
good fix untill I drilled 3 holes the other day. Then it quit again, with
the telltale smell of burnt electrical ????

So, after Google search, visit to Walmart, Lowes, Ace Hardware, and check at
Sears.com, I haven't been able to locate a replacement!

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can be
obtained? Or am I looking for something that is no longer manufactured?
Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and up, not for my
occasional need once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

i finally killed mine last year

poor thing i beheaded it. I snapped the threaded arbor off inside the
chuck right at the shoulder

it was older than i was and i finally had to upgrade to a true Dewalt.
I could find the model but i might have half scrapped it too.

but really the old drills are almost not worth it to fix due to a lack
of parts and the need to machine a replacement if you cannot find the
part (Some of us can make the parts but my replacement drill does work
better too)

I think its gonna die unless you find a yard sale replacement in the
spring
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Funny you should ask. That was exactly what was on my Christmas wish
list.
Mine was so old it had the cord that was 12" long. I got so sick of
the cord being so short.
The short cord wasn't a bad idea because you needed an extension cord
anyway. But the plug kept getting caught on the edge of the workbench.

I pulled it out and installed a cord about 6' long from a hand mixer
that gave up the smoke. The drill has fast rpm's so it was great for
drilling small holes, until I got the cord wrapped around the chuck
and now it don't work no more.
Didn't get one for Christmas. Wife couldn't find one.
I'll be curious to see the responses to your inquiry

I still have the "Portable Electric Tools" drill I bought from
Canadian Tire in 1957 for $17. It has wired several houses, drilled
softwood with an 1 1/4 spade bit, swung a 6" grinding wheel and 6"
wire brush and much more abuse over 50 years. Twenty years ago I
straightened the output shaft after second son borrowed it. No! I
won't sell it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can be
obtained? � Or am I looking for something that is no longer manufactured?
Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and up, not for my
occasional need once or twice a year.

Ace

I bought my last �" drill at a Nut and Bolt place that has lots of
tools for sale. Copper State Nut & Bolt I think it is called. The
drill is a Bosch. Real good quality. Typically I would like a longer
cord but I can cure this desire by simply opening up the drill and
putting on a longer cord. 20' would be nice.

www.copperstate.com

Have you tried Home Depot or Lowes?

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I dropped my 'old' Black & Decker 1/4 inch drill motor (now called corded
drill ???), and broke the brush holder among other things. Tore down and
put brush back (even though holder itself was 'missing'). Seemed like a
good fix untill I drilled 3 holes the other day. Then it quit again, with
the telltale smell of burnt electrical ????

So, after Google search, visit to Walmart, Lowes, Ace Hardware, and check at
Sears.com, I haven't been able to locate a replacement!

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can be
obtained? Or am I looking for something that is no longer manufactured?
Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and up, not for my
occasional need once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

I was in Sams Club the other day, and they had a "Channellock" 24vt
cordless drill, charger and two batteries, for $49IRRC

2 speed, with a 2 speed gearbox, torque clutch and so forth.

Im quite impressed, and the charger actually behaves like its supposed
to. MONDO torque. As a test, I ran in (4) 5/16x3" lagbolts into a
4x4, and while it grunted towards the end, it didnt slow down
appreciably.

Why bother buying a rattly 1/4" corded drill, when you can buy a more
capable cordless for the same money?

If you simply have to have a 1/4" corded drill, the Close Work drill
at Harbor Freight is $24. Works fine.

I took the 1st one back after one of my helpers tried to drive
3/8"x2.5" lagbolts. He ran the biggest portion of a box of 100, before
the gears locked up. Harbor Freight simply handed me a new one.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I dropped my 'old' Black & Decker 1/4 inch drill motor (now called corded
drill ???), and broke the brush holder among other things. Tore down and
put brush back (even though holder itself was 'missing'). Seemed like a
good fix untill I drilled 3 holes the other day. Then it quit again, with
the telltale smell of burnt electrical ????

So, after Google search, visit to Walmart, Lowes, Ace Hardware, and check at
Sears.com, I haven't been able to locate a replacement!

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can be
obtained? Or am I looking for something that is no longer manufactured?
Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and up, not for my
occasional need once or twice a year.

Anything decent, a drill that will take some abuse and still run, is
going to cost you $50 bare minimum. Going cheaper can be done (Harbor
Freight) if you treat it very gently, but they won't take any abuse.

The Black & Decker Division is now the "cheap consumer grade"
product where people buy on price alone - they have set the DeWalt
division as the heavier duty line for rougher conditions.

Buy good tools, and you can hand them down to your grandchildren.
Our Sunbeam finish circular saw is pushing 40 years old, and still
runs fine. I have some drills and saws even older, and I'm having a
hard time finding 4"x21" belts for a ancient Skil belt sander that
refuses to die. (Mail Order Only, it looks like.)

But I did go buy a Skil MAG-77 worm-drive framing saw so I have the
proper tool for the proper job.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:13:28 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus306 quickly quoth:

As others noticed, 1/4" corded drills cost nothing at garage sales and
liquidations. They are not adequate for very many real life needs. I
would frankly look for at least 3/8" capacity, which will still cost
you next to nothing.

Someone gave me an extra 3/8" B&D drill motor and I tossed a $10 HF
1/2" chuck on it. I use it for drilling deep holes in houses or RR
ties with my HF augers. The front bearing is leaking its stinky lube
but it's still the Everready bunny of drill motors.

--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:34:25 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

I was in Sams Club the other day, and they had a "Channellock" 24vt
cordless drill, charger and two batteries, for $49IRRC

2 speed, with a 2 speed gearbox, torque clutch and so forth.

Im quite impressed, and the charger actually behaves like its supposed
to. MONDO torque. As a test, I ran in (4) 5/16x3" lagbolts into a
4x4, and while it grunted towards the end, it didnt slow down
appreciably.

I picked up a $250 Bosch 14.4v Impactor last year and it's by far the
best drill I've ever owned. It's strong enough to change my wheel
lugs. Phillips screws don't cam out, you don't need to push hard to
keep the bit in the screw, and all sorts of other bennies. The
batteries will last most of the day even when assembling decks and
wooden swingset/fort/playhouses.

Impact drivers are where it's at for long fasteners in wood. HF had a
set of 1/4" hex to 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" square drives for $1.49, so I
picked up 3 sets and keep them handy. It'll drive nuts and bolts all
day, too.

Bosch tools are excellent investments, but we're way out of the OP's
budget now.

--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great
and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's
desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H. L. Mencken, in the Baltimore Sun, July 26, 1920.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-09, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:13:28 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus306 quickly quoth:

As others noticed, 1/4" corded drills cost nothing at garage sales and
liquidations. They are not adequate for very many real life needs. I
would frankly look for at least 3/8" capacity, which will still cost
you next to nothing.

Someone gave me an extra 3/8" B&D drill motor and I tossed a $10 HF
1/2" chuck on it. I use it for drilling deep holes in houses or RR
ties with my HF augers. The front bearing is leaking its stinky lube
but it's still the Everready bunny of drill motors.

I have a cheap 3/8 B&D drill and a more expensive 1/2" DeWALT corded
drill. (also a cordless 18v DeWALT) If I want to use a corded drill, I
prefer the B&D where I can get away with it, due to its lower
torque. Prevents wrist sprains and such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:43:15 -0800 (PST), "Bob's my cat"
wrote:

On Jan 8, 12:09 pm, "Ace" wrote:
snip....

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can be
obtained? Or am I looking for something that is no longer manufactured?
Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and up, not for my
occasional need once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

I think Makita still makes one, at 4500RPM it is good for small holes
in sheet metal, I'd imagine they would be popular with home aircraft
builders who don't have (or don't want to listen to) large air
compressors, when I got mine it was about $60, but that was a while
ago, they could be $100 now, so that might be one you saw.
Even if they were $60, for "occasional need once or twice a year" I'd
get a cheap 3/8" drill, which are much more common and can be had much
cheaper
Jay

For aircraft building a cheap 6 or 7.2 volt cordless, picked up at a
garage sale with dead batteries and run off a 12 volt car battery
works just fine!!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote: For aircraft building a cheap 6 or 7.2 volt
cordless, picked up at a
garage sale with dead batteries and run off a 12 volt car battery
works just fine!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've done that. Some of the old cordless drills are considered worthless
because of the cost of a replacement battery. Running on overvoltage gives
you extra power and RPM. I'm not sure how long you can run it this way, but
mine never quit. Drilling holes is not usually continuous duty.

I kept mine in the truck, so it was always there when something broke on one
of our Yamaha Enduros.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Someone gave me an extra 3/8" B&D drill motor and I tossed a $10 HF
1/2" chuck on it. I use it for drilling deep holes in houses or RR
ties with my HF augers. The front bearing is leaking its stinky lube
but it's still the Everready bunny of drill motors.

my favorite heavy duty drill is a 3/8 Rockwell - it has a 7 amp motor - it's
their industrial series from the 70s - I drilled holes for conduit in a LOT
of 2X4s with that drill and it was such a nice improvement over the 1/4 inch
drill it replaced - and much better than most 1/2 inch drills -