Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool recommendation for turning cold rolled steel

I'm seeing a poor finish on a length of cold rolled steel (I dunno
what it is exactly). The tool is on center, RPMs are about 500, but
there are like little bits of swarf welded to the part. Sort of reminds
me of using a cheap ballpoint pen and the ink globs up and sticks to the
paper.

The cut itself is OK, but the surface finish looks poor.

I'm using an indexable insert with about a 1/32" nose (IIRC). This makes
me wonder if the insert is the correct grade, or maybe this result is
the best that I can get with this steel.

I'm entertaining thoughts of HSS, but the issue is who will grind it
when it needs to be resharpened? My dad has poor eyesight, so that's why
I went with carbide in the first place. That way I didn't have to be
standing at the lathe every second while he was working.

I can accept using brazed inserts or something similar, but grinding
relief angles is not an option.