Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping Iggy...

Well, I'm not sure what I was smoking, but having the pressure switch
wired into FWD & DCM, I am getting the motor starting up and staying
running with the cutout switch on or off.

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/docum...spede/PC1M.pdf

The paramaters are correct in 0-20 and 2-00, so I'm not sure what I'm
missing.

0-20 is b00001
2-00 is 0

Help?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-23, Todd Rich wrote:
Well, I'm not sure what I was smoking, but having the pressure switch
wired into FWD & DCM, I am getting the motor starting up and staying
running with the cutout switch on or off.

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/docum...spede/PC1M.pdf

The paramaters are correct in 0-20 and 2-00, so I'm not sure what I'm
missing.

0-20 is b00001
2-00 is 0

Help?

I think that you have it programmed for a separate STOP operation or
something.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-23, Todd Rich wrote:
Well, I'm not sure what I was smoking, but having the pressure switch
wired into FWD & DCM, I am getting the motor starting up and staying
running with the cutout switch on or off.

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/docum...spede/PC1M.pdf

The paramaters are correct in 0-20 and 2-00, so I'm not sure what I'm
missing.

0-20 is b00001
2-00 is 0

Help?

I think that you have it programmed for a separate STOP operation or
something.

Well, I guess I'll call them up Wednesday and see if they can point me in
the right direction.

Btw I was doing the oil change yesterday and it was pretty bad. I let it
drain overnight, and I'll put in the fresh oil today. A little slowed
down by two migraines. Doesn't appear to be any oil filters to change.

Todd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Todd Rich wrote:
Well, I'm not sure what I was smoking, but having the pressure switch
wired into FWD & DCM, I am getting the motor starting up and staying
running with the cutout switch on or off.

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/docum...spede/PC1M.pdf

The paramaters are correct in 0-20 and 2-00, so I'm not sure what I'm
missing.

0-20 is b00001
2-00 is 0

Help?

Check the setting of 0-19, the factory default is '0' which only allows
control from the keypad or the comm port, try setting 0-19 to '1' which
should give control from the keypad or external terminals such as FWD.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:11:01 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich

Ignoramus19045 wrote:
On 2007-12-23, Todd Rich wrote:
[...]

Whats the issue? Ive missed most of this thread.

On many/most VFDs, you would hook the RF switch to the NC pressure
switch. When its below the cut off pressure, the switch remains
closed, telling the VFD to run the motor. At cut off, the switch
opens, the VFD stops running the motor and it coasts to a stop. No
need to program in Stop in this application.

What am I missing?

Gunner, user of VFDs nearly daily

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
Well, I guess I'll call them up Wednesday and see if they can point me in
the right direction.

Btw I was doing the oil change yesterday and it was pretty bad. I let it
drain overnight, and I'll put in the fresh oil today. A little slowed
down by two migraines. Doesn't appear to be any oil filters to change.

Todd

Nope yours was/is a "pre oil filter" version of the pump. Mine has a spin
on automotive type filter on it, you can't miss it:-)

Did you ever figure out what that thing is on the tank that the air line
enters? is it some kind of cooler or a water trap??

William

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:11:01 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich

(snip)
Well, I guess I'll call them up Wednesday and see if they can point me in
the right direction.

Btw I was doing the oil change yesterday and it was pretty bad. I let it
drain overnight, and I'll put in the fresh oil today. A little slowed
down by two migraines. Doesn't appear to be any oil filters to change.

Todd

Whats the issue? Ive missed most of this thread.

Mainly that I couldn't seem to turn on the terminal block that reads the
pressure switch. Another poster pointed me to the proper paramater.

Though it is supposed to take 9 quarts of oil and it only took about 8, so
I think I've got at least a quart of sludge in the bottom of the case.

On many/most VFDs, you would hook the RF switch to the NC pressure
switch. When its below the cut off pressure, the switch remains
closed, telling the VFD to run the motor. At cut off, the switch
opens, the VFD stops running the motor and it coasts to a stop. No
need to program in Stop in this application.

Yep, works that way here too.

What am I missing?

Just that it had an paramater that I didn't notice that tells it where it
takes the commands from. If you don't turn on the terminal block, it
can't read the pressure switch.

Gunner, user of VFDs nearly daily

This is the one I'm using:
http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drive...D/PC1-150.html

Seems to do a dandy job of phase-converting too. Ramp-up is nice as
smooth and the lights don't fliker at all. Running a 15HP motor.

Todd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William wrote:

"Todd Rich" wrote in message

(snip)
Btw I was doing the oil change yesterday and it was pretty bad. I let it
drain overnight, and I'll put in the fresh oil today. A little slowed
down by two migraines. Doesn't appear to be any oil filters to change.

Todd

Nope yours was/is a "pre oil filter" version of the pump. Mine has a spin
on automotive type filter on it, you can't miss it:-)

Yeah, I've seen it in photos in Quincy's literature. No sign of it on
mine. However I put in 8 quarts and the dipstick read almost full, so I
think I've got about a quart of sludge still at the bottom despite trying
to blow it out. I figure I won't run that long on this oil change and run
it a while before draining it again.

Did you ever figure out what that thing is on the tank that the air line
enters? is it some kind of cooler or a water trap??

Not sure. And it doesn't go directly in, the air pipe comes out the back
and then goes in the tank on the upper back side. I'll take some closer
photos and post them. Or just give Quincy a call and see what they have
to say. Only obvious things are a vent valve and a small screw valve of
some kind at the base.

William

Todd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul wrote:
Todd Rich wrote:

(snip)
Help?

Check the setting of 0-19, the factory default is '0' which only allows
control from the keypad or the comm port, try setting 0-19 to '1' which
should give control from the keypad or external terminals such as FWD.

That was it! Thank you. I think I'm going to get a better switch though,
I want something I can lock-out if needs be. 3 works as well as 1. I
just have to remember on 1 that I don't want to put it in keypad mode and
then press run if I want it to run from the pressure switch. PU light off
and it works exactly as I was hoping to. Turn the switch on an it starts.
Leave it on and when the contacts open at 120psi, it shuts off. Drop it
to 90psi and it starts up. Turn the switch off and it stays off. However
it looks like I might want to see if I can set it up with a larger range.
I'm only supposed to let it start 6 times an hour and while my draw might
be high, it is intermittent. And it looks like my unloaders are starter
types, not continuous run types. At least they didn't kick in before
190psi when I let it run up high.

Regards
Paul

Thanks again! That really helped!
Todd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Todd Rich wrote:
Paul wrote:

Todd Rich wrote:

[...]

Glad that did it, most of the time the factory defaults are sane enough
to get simple applications going relatively easily, but sometimes not.
A '3' in 0-19 might be better than a '1' as it locks out the keypad for
control inputs. As this is a compressor and should only run 'FWD' I'd
suggest setting 1-21 to '1' to disable 'REV'.

If this drive came to you new and unmolested the factory defaults should
be enforce, if it was used previously I'd go through and check all the
settings, or just use the 'reset to factory defaults' function (you'll
have to change back anything you setup already). If you expect the
drive to do motor overcurrent protection, (you most likely need this)
you'll have to enter the motor nameplate full load amps in 5-00. Some
drives require this entry to run but others don't, also check 5-03,
'Number of Poles'. The factory default is '4' which is correct for a
nominal 1800 rpm motor (most likely what your compressor motor is).
Maybe you've been through these last settings already, if so ignore this
last

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul wrote:
(snip)
Glad that did it, most of the time the factory defaults are sane enough
to get simple applications going relatively easily, but sometimes not.
A '3' in 0-19 might be better than a '1' as it locks out the keypad for
control inputs. As this is a compressor and should only run 'FWD' I'd
suggest setting 1-21 to '1' to disable 'REV'.

I was considering it, and will probably set it to disable REV today.

If this drive came to you new and unmolested the factory defaults should
be enforce, if it was used previously I'd go through and check all the
settings, or just use the 'reset to factory defaults' function (you'll
have to change back anything you setup already). If you expect the
drive to do motor overcurrent protection, (you most likely need this)
you'll have to enter the motor nameplate full load amps in 5-00. Some
drives require this entry to run but others don't, also check 5-03,
'Number of Poles'. The factory default is '4' which is correct for a
nominal 1800 rpm motor (most likely what your compressor motor is).
Maybe you've been through these last settings already, if so ignore this
last

Yep, the drive came brand new. I'm not sure why I'm missing a lot of
these setting. The input is probably due to just not understanding what I
was reading. However I should have notice 5-00, and will enter today when
I get a chance. My other VFD has a whole block of data that needed to be
entered in from the motor's dataplate. And yes, it is an 1800 rpm notor.
And thanks for the input. While I'm not necessarily *happy* with having
mistakes pointed out to me, I would much rather that happen than to go on
wandering in ignorance.

Regards
Paul

Todd

Ping - Iggy.. Todd Rich Metalworking 11 October 31st 07 12:14 PM
Ping Iggy VFD News Paul Metalworking 4 October 13th 07 04:38 AM
Ping: Iggy Jon Danniken Metalworking 1 September 15th 07 06:27 PM