Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Banning incandescent lamps?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:36:55 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:21:17 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

BTW, I have about a 10 year stockpile from relatives who already
switched.

I've just about totally switched over myself. It didn't take a law. When
the numbers work out you do it. Government assumes we are too stupid to
think for ourselves on economic matters.

Wes

I have _one_ room that isn't completely lit by CF bulbs. That's the lad's
bedroom with multiple 20W halogen spots in the ceiling. As they fail they will
be replaced with 1.5W LED units. I have dimmable CF bulbs in two of the
bedrooms. The only gotcha with them is that if the dimmer is too old, it might
struggle with the low load of the CF bulb. I have a box of 48 new incandescent
bulbs that I will be taking to the tip sometime next year. I'll save money by
throwing them away!

I can get CF bulbs in almost any power I want, at UK prices:-( :-

http://www.bltdirect.com/product.php?pid=266

Ouch! Wouldn't you rather pay just £8.14 for a 25 watter? (120 watt
equivalent) That's only 'bout 20 times what we pay over here across
the Pond. Ayup, "OUCH!" just about covers it.

Mark Rand (where electricity costs $20/kWhr)

Holy ****, Maynard! Well, at least you have that lovely socialized
medicine and all your streets are safe/free from guns.

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

I think Mark means about 20 *cents* a kilowatt-hour. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:10:15 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

Bloody French decimal places :-(.

If you and Larry are paying $0.50 to $1 for a 25 Watter, then I'm surprised
that incandescent bulbs are still being manufactured!

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

I'll have to ask Larry about his sources. I pay around $6, on those rare
occasions that I buy one.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:04:07 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:36:55 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

Mark Rand (where electricity costs $20/kWhr)

Holy ****, Maynard! Well, at least you have that lovely socialized
medicine and all your streets are safe/free from guns.

I think Mark means about 20 *cents* a kilowatt-hour. d8-)

Bloody French decimal places :-(.

We're still under 7 cents here in the PNW.

If you and Larry are paying $0.50 to $1 for a 25 Watter, then I'm surprised
that incandescent bulbs are still being manufactured!

I still use one over my bed. I dim it in the morning before getting up
to adjust to the lights. Yes, all but one of my CFs so far have been
99 cents each. They're 23W, the 100W incandescent equivalent.

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
--e e cummings

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:28:10 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I'll have to ask Larry about his sources. I pay around $6, on those rare
occasions that I buy one.

Bi-Mart, a PNW-exclusive membership store.

But I've also seen them for that price at Grover's Plumbing and
Electric, WalMart, etc.

4 for $11 + s/h he http://tinyurl.com/2sffna

Lowes, 8/$8 http://tinyurl.com/3bgato

P.S: The yellowish "Warm White" bulbs SUCK!

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

and the one for LED lamps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_lamp

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
--e e cummings
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:40:53 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:28:10 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I'll have to ask Larry about his sources. I pay around $6, on those rare
occasions that I buy one.

Bi-Mart, a PNW-exclusive membership store.

But I've also seen them for that price at Grover's Plumbing and
Electric, WalMart, etc.

4 for $11 + s/h he http://tinyurl.com/2sffna

Lowes, 8/$8 http://tinyurl.com/3bgato

99cent Only stores occasionally sell (2) 25watt CFs for ...99cents

They actually hold up better than the Green CFs I got from Pacific Gas
and Electric (aka Pacific Greed and Extortion)

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:28:10 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I'll have to ask Larry about his sources. I pay around $6, on those rare
occasions that I buy one.

Bi-Mart, a PNW-exclusive membership store.

But I've also seen them for that price at Grover's Plumbing and
Electric, WalMart, etc.

4 for $11 + s/h he http://tinyurl.com/2sffna

Lowes, 8/$8 http://tinyurl.com/3bgato

P.S: The yellowish "Warm White" bulbs SUCK!

So, which ones are best for color?

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

and the one for LED lamps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_lamp

Yikes. More than I would ever want to know. d8-) Thanks, it's good to know
it's there.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 22:36:06 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:28:10 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I'll have to ask Larry about his sources. I pay around $6, on those rare
occasions that I buy one.

Bi-Mart, a PNW-exclusive membership store.

But I've also seen them for that price at Grover's Plumbing and
Electric, WalMart, etc.

4 for $11 + s/h he http://tinyurl.com/2sffna

Lowes, 8/$8 http://tinyurl.com/3bgato

P.S: The yellowish "Warm White" bulbs SUCK!

So, which ones are best for color?

Most bulbs with 20+ watts. The 13W bulbs just weakly bleat out yellow
colors and aren't good for much of anything. I much prefer anything
with a 4000K or higher rating. Bluer is good, yellower is bad. Higher
CRI ratings seem to go hand in hand with higher Kelvin output.

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

See the pic with the 4 styles of lamps? I much prefer the lefthand
one.

and the one for LED lamps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_lamp

Yikes. More than I would ever want to know. d8-) Thanks, it's good to know
it's there.

Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
--e e cummings

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

They're called "Limousines", Gerry. Rich folks rent them (Hummers in
all shapes) to pretend they're either 4-wheelin' or in the Army for
the day or evening.

My younger brother is in the Army, and despite the fact that he's stationed
in Alaska, a Hummer is the last vehicle he would choose to drive.

Fort Richardson, or Fort Wainwright?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

BTW, I have about a 10 year stockpile from relatives who already
switched.

I've just about totally switched over myself. It didn't take a law. When
the numbers work out you do it. Government assumes we are too stupid to
think for ourselves on economic matters.

I have used the 4' double tube fluorescent fixtures for almost 30
years, but a few places still need regular bulbs.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

snip

P.S: The yellowish "Warm White" bulbs SUCK!

So, which ones are best for color?

Most bulbs with 20+ watts. The 13W bulbs just weakly bleat out yellow
colors and aren't good for much of anything. I much prefer anything
with a 4000K or higher rating. Bluer is good, yellower is bad. Higher
CRI ratings seem to go hand in hand with higher Kelvin output.

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

See the pic with the 4 styles of lamps? I much prefer the lefthand
one.

That's interesting, because I would have thought the ones that were close to
incandescent temperature were more pleasant for reading and working. But
photos like that are tricky. Having done a lot of industrial photography
with weird lighting, my reaction to that photo was that it probably isn't
much like what the scene looks like to the eye. Interrupted-spectrum
lighting often looks different on film; I assume the same is true with
digital photos.

Anyway, I'll have to get a couple of new ones and try them. I'll miss my
dimmers (I made a bunch of them years ago, and I've replaced them all over
the house with commercial ones, over the years) but it will be worth it.

Thanks for the tips, Larry.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 28, 1:40 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

and the one for LED lamps:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_lamp

There is an article in today's ( Thursday ) WSJ on CFL's. One guy
and his brother own 4 factories in China and make a million CFL's a
day.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:22:49 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

See the pic with the 4 styles of lamps? I much prefer the lefthand
one.

and the one for LED lamps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_lamp

Yikes. More than I would ever want to know. d8-) Thanks, it's good to know
it's there.

Also interesting is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighting_efficacy

jack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote:
wrote:

Trevor Jones asked why diesel engines haven't taken off in the U.S. and
to this I say:
G.M. is the culprits here. They poisoned the well by selling ill
conceived designs in the 1980's (I.E.) the Olds/Chevy diesel built
around the 350C.I. gas engine. I had A Chevy Caprice Wagon (1982) with
one of these boat anchors in it and it was the happiest day of my life
when A con rod took A detour through the engine block!!
The small diesels in there Vega's and LUV pickup's were nothing to
write home about either.

H.R.

I could see that to some extent.

I have driven some of the small diesel (under) powered trucks from the
early '80's and the tech in them was as low as their top speeds.

I sold an Olds with a 350 in it, that had suffered an engine fire, to a
person that was replacing an Olds diesel 350 with a gas engine.

Technology HAS moved on, though, and a large number of folk in the US
have seen that there is hope, as well as throttle response, in a diesel
engine.

It'll be interesting to see how things work out, with more of the
"mainstrean" vehicles like the Jeep models, coming out with a diesel as
an option.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Todays diesels are great.

2005 VW Golf TDI, 48 mpg average, enough torque to get up and go with
any gasser. Cruise at 70-75 all day long.

The car can go further then I can between stops.

Howard Garner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:54:54 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

snip

P.S: The yellowish "Warm White" bulbs SUCK!

So, which ones are best for color?

Most bulbs with 20+ watts. The 13W bulbs just weakly bleat out yellow
colors and aren't good for much of anything. I much prefer anything
with a 4000K or higher rating. Bluer is good, yellower is bad. Higher
CRI ratings seem to go hand in hand with higher Kelvin output.

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

See the pic with the 4 styles of lamps? I much prefer the lefthand
one.

That's interesting, because I would have thought the ones that were close to
incandescent temperature were more pleasant for reading and working. But

For reading, I need the bulb to be a foot closer and/or a lot more
lumens if it's yellow incan vs. its whiter CF brother.

I have a couple wall sconces (and some track lights) and use the CFs
to bounce light off the pure white walls and books in my largest
bookcase. The CFs outshine the incans by a mile and make the book
titles more readable. Wimmmenfolk don't like the bluer, whiter light
as well as men do, it seems. That's perfectly OK at my bachelor pad.

photos like that are tricky. Having done a lot of industrial photography
with weird lighting, my reaction to that photo was that it probably isn't
much like what the scene looks like to the eye. Interrupted-spectrum
lighting often looks different on film; I assume the same is true with
digital photos.

Look at the "light shadows" cast on the foreground in that pic for the
true colors. Looking at bulbs is hard for eyes and cameras.

Anyway, I'll have to get a couple of new ones and try them. I'll miss my
dimmers (I made a bunch of them years ago, and I've replaced them all over
the house with commercial ones, over the years) but it will be worth it.

Now that I've seen that the less expensive dimmable fluor bulbs are
available, I'm going to try them, too. Ditto the LED lighting when it
becomes affordable.

Thanks for the tips, Larry.

Jewelcome, Ed.

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
--e e cummings
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:55:35 +0900, with neither quill nor qualm,
en quickly quoth:

wrote:

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

See the pic with the 4 styles of lamps? I much prefer the lefthand
one.

and the one for LED lamps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_lamp

Yikes. More than I would ever want to know. d8-) Thanks, it's good to know
it's there.

Also interesting is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighting_efficacy

Good 'un! And a link off that to efficient LED sources is
http://members.misty.com/don/led.html (What is this "thing" for LEDs
guys named Don seem to have, hmm?) titter

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
--e e cummings
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Ed, I have some info, right from the packaging of the CFs that I've been
using

QualSTAR Mini Sunlight
100W replacement
Light output: 1707 lumens
Energy used: 23W

Model No: 2823 S (and) 2VP BGL (2-pack for Big Lots Stores)
Color temp: 6,500 Kelvin
Lamps contain mercury

Big Lots price - $6 for a 2-pack

This is a product of a company that has produced some real crap in the past,
Lights of America, but these units that were purchased in the past year are
performing very well.
The light is white, and very bright. I generally have all my lights for room
lighting, operating in bounce mode, pointed up at the white ceiling. Many
may find that these lights are too bright for direct lighting (for a reading
light, for example).
A side-by-side comparison to a warm CF makes the warm lamp look very yellow,
like light shining thru mud (if that makes any sense).

I used to think that regular cool white and warm CFs produced good light,
until I tried these sunlight CFs.

I'm not a photog, but when I've used these lamps to fill in for pictures (no
flash), the inexpensive HP 215 digital camera shots don't look any different
than shots with the light from the built-in flash.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:28:10 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:
snips

So, which ones are best for color?

snippage

Yikes. More than I would ever want to know. d8-) Thanks, it's good to know
it's there.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
ATP* wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

They're called "Limousines", Gerry. Rich folks rent them (Hummers in
all shapes) to pretend they're either 4-wheelin' or in the Army for
the day or evening.

My younger brother is in the Army, and despite the fact that he's
stationed
in Alaska, a Hummer is the last vehicle he would choose to drive.

Fort Richardson, or Fort Wainwright?

Fort Richardson. He bought a house up in Eagle River.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

They're called "Limousines", Gerry. Rich folks rent them (Hummers in
all shapes) to pretend they're either 4-wheelin' or in the Army for
the day or evening.

My younger brother is in the Army, and despite the fact that he's
stationed
in Alaska, a Hummer is the last vehicle he would choose to drive.

Fort Richardson, or Fort Wainwright?

Fort Richardson. He bought a house up in Eagle River.

I was stationed at Ft Greely, in the early '70s. It was closed
several years ago, and is being 'remodeled' for a new use.
I spent a night at Ft Wainwright, on the way to Ft Greely. The
Fairbanks Airport was the closest commercial flight.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

They're called "Limousines", Gerry. Rich folks rent them (Hummers in
all shapes) to pretend they're either 4-wheelin' or in the Army for
the day or evening.

My younger brother is in the Army, and despite the fact that he's
stationed
in Alaska, a Hummer is the last vehicle he would choose to drive.

Fort Richardson, or Fort Wainwright?

Fort Richardson. He bought a house up in Eagle River.

I was stationed at Ft Greely, in the early '70s. It was closed
several years ago, and is being 'remodeled' for a new use.
I spent a night at Ft Wainwright, on the way to Ft Greely. The
Fairbanks Airport was the closest commercial flight.

Fairbanks is really up there! I visited a few years ago and trekked up to
Denali from Anchorage. There was one section where we got no FM reception
whatsoever. I was running pretty low on gas on the way back, which was a bit
nerve wracking with two six year olds in the car. I think we drove about 140
miles between gas stations.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

[...]

Or you could always try driving the Dempster Highway, starts about 20
miles east of Dawson City, goes to Inuvik, NWT in summer and to
Tuktoyaktuk in winter. From Klondike Corner (start of the Dempster) gas
station to Eagle Plains, which is the next gas station, is 231 miles. Not
the longest in the world by any means, but certainly an interesting
highway and one every Canadian (at least) should drive. The Inuvik -
Tuktoyaktuk section on 8 - 10 feet of Mackenzie River ice and Beaufort Sea
ice is also INTERESTING!
Yep, I've done it, the Dempster about 5 times and the Tuk section a couple
of times - why? have a son and 2 grandchildren up there in Inuvik.
Mike in BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:48:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

We use a 60 watt incandescent bulb in a well insulated outbuilding to
keep the well water works from freezing. Works just fine. When
extremely cold weather is expected, we change to a 100 watt bulb. Many
of our neighbors do the same. You can't use a compact florescent bulb
for that. I guess the light bulb police will let us use 1,000 watt
heaters instead.

Use an industrial cabinet heater, many times the cost of a light bulb
(say $20) but you'll only have to buy it once, they are self
regulating to maintain a set temperature and remove the need to change
it to a higher output when the temperature really drops.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:
clare wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:22:52 GMT, "BillM"
wrote:

Got sucked into the whole compact flourescent whirlpool a
few years ago. Local
power company (Portland General Electric) was handing out
coupons for free/deep
discount/rebate on compact flourescents, and we were
lighting up a new home.
I think there are maybe 4 left in the whole house. Short
life, unacceptable warm up time,
just general crappy performance. Unless there has been a
huge improvement in
the CF technology, I'll keep my incandescents!

Likewise. All you can buy is cheap but overpriced Chinese CRAP that
burns out or otherwise fails in less than 2 years - generally within 6
months.
I still have a few incandescent bulbs in the house that were here when
I bought it 27 years ago.

Todays long tube flourescents are also nothing but crap. Untill I
changed out to halogens in my office/rec room I was replacing tubes
every couple of months, and ballasts every year or so.

get commercial grade flourescent bulbs from an electrical or lighting
supply place. Anything at home depot is junk. You will pay more, but those
cheap crap bulbs don't work.

And I'll chime in about the circular ones. Bought 4, dual ring bulb
type, 2 died in 6 months, 2 in 8. Replaced bulbs in all (100 effing
Canadian dollars from Home Depot!), all died in a week, obviously the
ballasts went South. Bring me those halogen 150-watters! /mark

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And I'll chime in about the circular ones. Bought 4, dual ring bulb
type, 2 died in 6 months, 2 in 8. Replaced bulbs in all (100 effing
Canadian dollars from Home Depot!), all died in a week, obviously the
ballasts went South. Bring me those halogen 150-watters! /mark

I just had my first dead out of the box CFL yesterday - bought a 30 watt
Sylvania curly Q type CFL for a lamp, it lit for about 1 second, went dim
and out - base gets hot and no light - bought another one of slightly lower
wattage, it's working fine - Used to be Sylvania was a good brand - wonder
what happened to quality control -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Cydrome Leader wrote:
clare wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, "BillM" wrote:

[...]

The electrical and lighing supply houses will gladly sell you the
same crap that The Borg will - If the price sounds too good to be
true, it probably is. The two brands I tell people to avoid like the
Plague are 'Lights of America' and 'Dabmar' - they do have a few good
models with decent internals, but try to pick them out in a hurry...

Even the reputable lines like GE, Lithonia, Progress Lighting,
Elite, Juno, Kichler, RAB, Simkar and Mc-Graw Edison (to rattle off
just a few) make some junk with Chinese ballasts and Indonesian parts,
but they are usually good about labeling them with a euphemism like
"Value Line" or "Builder Model" to tip off the buyers.

Tract home developers love the "Builder Model" fixtures because
they're cheap first and foremost, don't look hideous, the Fluorescent
or HID models meet the "Energy Efficiency Guidelines", and they will
last at least long enough for the house to pass inspection and clear
escrow - and that's all the builders worry about.

For tract houses, it's up to the resident to pick out the fixture
designs they like and put them up after they've bought the house and
decided how they're decorating it. But the builder has to put up
something to cover that empty box on the ceiling, they can't pass
Final and sell the place without a permanent fixture installed.

For custom homes, the owner was involved in the decision process and
picked out the fixtures they wanted ahead of time, and are willing to
pay the extra for a good fixture the first time.

-- Bruce --