Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gallium, pure, 99.99% 20 gram being sold

In case anyone's interested in buying some pure gallium, there's some being
sold on eBay, auction number 140190533450.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:31:37 -0600, Adam Corolla wrote:
In case anyone's interested in buying some pure gallium, there's some being
sold on eBay, auction number 140190533450.

Doesn't exist or has been removed. So what's spot on gallium?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:31:37 -0600, Adam Corolla wrote:
In case anyone's interested in buying some pure gallium, there's some being
sold on eBay, auction number 140190533450.

Doesn't exist or has been removed. So what's spot on gallium?

Probably the same seller, in Ireland. 50 g, $87 buy it now. Don't know
what the spot is though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
In case anyone's interested in buying some pure gallium, there's some
being
sold on eBay, auction number 140190533450.

Doesn't exist or has been removed. So what's spot on gallium?

It's on the US site. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...romZR40QQfviZ1

Or try

http://tinyurl.com/3695mx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Adam Corolla" wrote:

In case anyone's interested in buying some pure gallium, there's some being
sold on eBay, auction number 140190533450.

We got people making semiconductors at home now?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Adam Corolla" wrote:

In case anyone's interested in buying some pure gallium, there's some
being
sold on eBay, auction number 140190533450.

We got people making semiconductors at home now?

Wes

Gallium is used in making semiconductors? I didn't know that.

Anyway, its home uses include making custom mirrors, and also for science
demonstrations and practical jokes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Adam Corolla wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Adam Corolla" wrote:

In case anyone's interested in buying some pure gallium, there's some
being
sold on eBay, auction number 140190533450.

We got people making semiconductors at home now?

Wes

Gallium is used in making semiconductors? I didn't know that.

Yep, Gallium Arsenide is used extensively.

Anyway, its home uses include making custom mirrors, and also for science
demonstrations and practical jokes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
Adam Corolla wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Adam Corolla" wrote:

In case anyone's interested in buying some pure gallium, there's some
being
sold on eBay, auction number 140190533450.

We got people making semiconductors at home now?

Wes

Gallium is used in making semiconductors? I didn't know that.

Yep, Gallium Arsenide is used extensively.

So, how much would be needed for the average chip? I'm guessing micrograms
or picograms. 20 grams of gallium would make a lot of semiconductors! How
do you make into gallium arsenide, though? Gallium arsenide is probably
cheaper and easier to work with, by the way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Adam Corolla wrote:

"Todd Rich" wrote in message

(snip)
Yep, Gallium Arsenide is used extensively.

So, how much would be needed for the average chip? I'm guessing micrograms
or picograms. 20 grams of gallium would make a lot of semiconductors! How
do you make into gallium arsenide, though? Gallium arsenide is probably
cheaper and easier to work with, by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium_arsenide

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/semiconduct...roduction.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gallium, pure, 99.99% 20 gram being sold (auction canceled by eBay)

FYI, eBay cancelled the auction, stating that Gallium is considered a
"hazardous substance."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Adam Corolla" wrote in message
news

FYI, eBay cancelled the auction, stating that Gallium is considered a
"hazardous substance."

Not he
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300182719496

Just "ended".

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff R." wrote in message
u...

"Adam Corolla" wrote in message
news

FYI, eBay cancelled the auction, stating that Gallium is considered a
"hazardous substance."

Not he
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300182719496

Just "ended".

--
Jeff R.

....and...

(looks like he got sick of selling little lots)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300183863501

Still current, and maybe a little greedy...

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff R." wrote in message
u...

"Adam Corolla" wrote in message
news

FYI, eBay cancelled the auction, stating that Gallium is considered a
"hazardous substance."

Not he
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300182719496

Just "ended".

I wish to hell I knew why eBay cancelled MY auction and not the other guy's,
but their policies for sales from Ireland to Australia (the auction to which
you linked) might not be the same as selling it from within the US to other
points within the US (my auction) especially since the USPS will not
transport gallium, period. I had no idea that gallium was on the USPS's
banned list until eBay canceled my auction, then I looked it up because I
couldn't believe it.

Well, it makes sense I guess. If gallium comes in contact with two common
substances, aluminum and water, it creates hydrogen gas which is extremely
flammable. Also without even water, liquid gallium destroys other metals
including aluminum, meaning it could create all kinds of havoc inside a
vehicle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:39:34 -0600, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
. au...

[...]

Particularly inside an aircraft. Think of it rolling around inside
the cargo hold, up against the skin of the aircraft and the
bulkheads....at 35,000 feet

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:39:34 -0600, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
.au...

[...]

Definitely a bad situation, I could easily understand why gallium would have
to be transported by ground or water only. I wonder how the seller in
Irelend plans to ship to Australia?

for torturing the cat." Gunner

So said every other empire that ever existed. "We're bringing civilization
to those people and improving their lives, while protecting them from
themselves and us from them." The fact that "those people" fight the
empire-builders is simply seen as evidence that they don't know what's best
for them and therefore *need* to be controlled by the empire or a government
it sets up. The problem with the whole "We're going to attack your country
and install the government of our choice" method of ensuring that everyone
"plays nice" is that the powers that be are the ones that get to define what
"playing nice" means, and they use their own values rather than the values
of the people whose nations the PRBs dominate. In order to get to a point
at which one can even enforce "play nice", one has to play *very nasty* for
quite a while in order to gain total domination over the other players.

In a way, the people of those countries are considered non-persons who are
too uncivilized, ignorant and backward to see what's best for them. Also,
they're considered to be an obvious a threat to us, because they fight back
when we "enter" (invade) their country and/or "fix their government"
(install one of our own creation), therefore they are violent and must be
kept under control for the good of all. This has been the modus operandi
of nearly every would-be world conqueror since the beginning of written
history. Everyone thinks their own system is better than all the rest,
unconsciously minimizing their own problems and exaggerating the problems of
the others.

Policing the world is a great idea, except for the fact that no force in the
world is or ever will be objective enough to be trusted with the power
required to do it. The US has repeatedly supported dictators who are known
to have tortured and killed their own people over leaders favored by the
people of their country but possibly antagonistic to US trade policies, and
has by that and other methods showed a glaring lack of objectivity at least
equal to that of the old USSR.

"The greatest evils in the world are done in the name of fighting evil."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:49:19 -0600, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:39:34 -0600, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
m.au...

[...]

All true indeed. Though we never went out and colonized half the world
with the Maxim Gun. In fact..I dont know of any US colonies. We tend
to go out, kick some ass, defend our friends, then go home again.

As for supporting dictators, true enough at times. The rational being
that better a US friendly dictator, than a puppet of the USSR who
hates the US. And there is some validity to that outlook. Depending of
course on who is looking from what direction. "The enemy of my enemy
is my friend", at least until he becomes our enemy.

On the other hand, we dont have a history of 400 yrs of colonial rule
and when we pull out of an occupied and defeated enemy, we generally
leave it in much better shape than we found it. Germany and Japan,
South Korea etc are examples.

The British empire left behind blood, mass murder and civil uprisings
when they pulled out, with few exceptions.

The fact of the matter, we could have simply sat on our hands and
watched the rest of the planet murder and enslave us. And then 20 yrs
down the road, have the now larger and unified enemy be a much much
larger problem when they decided to take us on. Germany and Japan are
prime examples, as is the USSR.

In fact, the Third World War started in 1945 and didnt end until
December 8th, 1991

Without the US playing Big Brother in 1918, 1942 and from 1945 to
1991..the geopolitical face of the planet would have looked vastly
different, and none of us would likely be in any position to be
discussing this issue, least of all in English.

Its a dirty job, but someone has to play Big Brother. The alternative
is unthinkable.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:11:03 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

The fact of the matter, we could have simply sat on our hands and
watched the rest of the planet murder and enslave us.

Addendum.,."enslave each other"

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:39:34 -0600, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
om.au...

[...]

The US doesn't colonize, it hegemonizes.

We tend
to go out, kick some ass, defend our friends, then go home again.

We go out, kill five thousand soldiers and a few hundred thousand civilians
in a nation that poses no threat to us, and call that kicking ass.

As for supporting dictators, true enough at times. The rational being
that better a US friendly dictator, than a puppet of the USSR who
hates the US.

Hello? The USSR doesn't exist anymore, but the US is still supporting
dictators. The REAL rationale is that if we had to choose between allowing
a country to have a democracy which might be opposed to US policies in their
country, or supporting a dictator who enslaves and kills his own people but
can be bribed by the US to do what we want, the latter is the only option,
because the brown people don't matter. Guess what? Some of the brown
people have the unmitigated gall to dislike the US for this reason.

And there is some validity to that outlook. Depending of
course on who is looking from what direction.

Of course it has validity, if you believe the US should put itself above all
other countries even if it means a small financial gain for Americans in
exchange for sacrificing the freedom or lives of millions of non-Americans.
Unless you consider the fact that the short-term benefits are outweighed by
the expense of higher taxes on account of the fact that we have to maintain
a huge, bloated military to protect ourselves from all the enemies we've
created. Oh, and the token wars to make it look like we're retaliating for
the terrorist attacks.

On the other hand, we dont have a history of 400 yrs of colonial rule
and when we pull out of an occupied and defeated enemy, we generally
leave it in much better shape than we found it. Germany and Japan,
South Korea etc are examples.

Yes, but they are in the minority. What about the other 25 countries we've
attacked since WW2, none of which ever attacked us?

The fact of the matter, we could have simply sat on our hands and
watched the rest of the planet murder and enslave us.

I can't believe you could be so brainwashed as to believe that. Try looking
at the facts for once. Since WW2, no country has threatened the US. During
the cold war, the US and the USSR/Red China fought each other indirectly by
trying to take over smaller, weaker countries and keeping the fighting
within them. However when the USSR collapsed and China stopped their
military agression, the US continued to practice forced hegemony, especially
in central and south America and the middle East. 9/11 was the first really
big retalitory strike by the people of some of those countries.

And then 20 yrs
down the road, have the now larger and unified enemy be a much much
larger problem when they decided to take us on. Germany and Japan are
prime examples, as is the USSR.

In fact, the Third World War started in 1945 and didnt end until
December 8th, 1991

Yes, but how did it end? Did Ronnie Reagan end the cold war by driving
Russia bankrupt with the arms buildup? He helped, I'll give him that! But
the collapse of the USSR started ten years earlier when they invaded
Afghanistan, an impoverished third-world country. The USSR, with the
largest and most powerful military the world had ever seen, couldn't gain a
decisive victory after ten years of fighting. Why? Because the US had
learned from Vietnam that invasion is easy, but occupation of a hostile
country is extremely expensive.

Drawing on these lessons learned in Vietnam, the CIA trained Afghanis and
Mideasterners from all over who came to Afghanistan on how to use guerrilla
tactics to fight the Soviets: for example use $100 worth or moartar rounds
to take out $1,000,000 worth of equipment and a few soldiers, repeat,
repeat, etc. and during the day work your regular jobs so no one knows who
you are. This was how and why al Qaeda formed at that time. After ten
years of extremely expensive occupation, the USSR withdrew from Afghanistan,
bankrupt.

Bin Laden has stated that he was hoping to draw the US into a war in the
Mideast with the 9/11 attacks. The US kindly obliged him with two wars.
Now we are essentially in the same boat as the USSR was: we can't win, and
if we withdraw it'll look bad. The Taliban still exists and is still
fighting and killing our soldiers, and the "insurgents" in Iraq are doing
the same.

Without the US playing Big Brother in 1918, 1942 and from 1945 to
1991..the geopolitical face of the planet would have looked vastly
different, and none of us would likely be in any position to be
discussing this issue, least of all in English.

The US didn't stop playing big brother in 1991, because the reason for doing
it after 1945 was not solely to protect the US from being taken over; it was
largely to gain power and influence in the world.

Its a dirty job, but someone has to play Big Brother. The alternative
is unthinkable.

What a load of crap. Defending the country and our allies is one thing, but
you can't seem to separate that from military action for the sake of
hegemony. It's the same few tired old mantras of all invaders everywhe

"We're saving them from themselves"
"They were going to attack us so we had to strike first"
"They're better off with our system, so we're improving their lives"

Etc. It's the same thing throughout history. It's really easy to believe
your nation is good and righteous when its ways have given you the
opportunity to have a great life.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:27:14 -0600, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

All true indeed. Though we never went out and colonized half the world
with the Maxim Gun. In fact..I dont know of any US colonies.

The US doesn't colonize, it hegemonizes.

Oh..like France, Germany, Japan, Vietnam, Cuba, Grenada and so forth?

We tend
to go out, kick some ass, defend our friends, then go home again.

We go out, kill five thousand soldiers and a few hundred thousand civilians
in a nation that poses no threat to us, and call that kicking ass.

Oh, like Germany and Japan?

As for supporting dictators, true enough at times. The rational being
that better a US friendly dictator, than a puppet of the USSR who
hates the US.

Hello? The USSR doesn't exist anymore, but the US is still supporting
dictators. The REAL rationale is that if we had to choose between allowing
a country to have a democracy which might be opposed to US policies in their
country, or supporting a dictator who enslaves and kills his own people but
can be bribed by the US to do what we want, the latter is the only option,
because the brown people don't matter. Guess what? Some of the brown
people have the unmitigated gall to dislike the US for this reason.

Why doesnt the USSR exist anymore?

[...]

Name them.

The fact of the matter, we could have simply sat on our hands and
watched the rest of the planet murder and enslave us.

I can't believe you could be so brainwashed as to believe that. Try looking
at the facts for once. Since WW2, no country has threatened the US. During
the cold war, the US and the USSR/Red China fought each other indirectly by
trying to take over smaller, weaker countries and keeping the fighting
within them. However when the USSR collapsed and China stopped their
military agression, the US continued to practice forced hegemony, especially
in central and south America and the middle East. 9/11 was the first really
big retalitory strike by the people of some of those countries.

Name them and which ones are under our authority.

And then 20 yrs
down the road, have the now larger and unified enemy be a much much
larger problem when they decided to take us on. Germany and Japan are
prime examples, as is the USSR.

In fact, the Third World War started in 1945 and didnt end until
December 8th, 1991

Yes, but how did it end? Did Ronnie Reagan end the cold war by driving
Russia bankrupt with the arms buildup? He helped, I'll give him that! But
the collapse of the USSR started ten years earlier when they invaded
Afghanistan, an impoverished third-world country. The USSR, with the
largest and most powerful military the world had ever seen, couldn't gain a
decisive victory after ten years of fighting. Why? Because the US had
learned from Vietnam that invasion is easy, but occupation of a hostile
country is extremely expensive.

Oh..you mean Afghanistan, where we trained the locals and gave them
Stingers? Odd..that didnt impoverish the USSR, did it?

Drawing on these lessons learned in Vietnam, the CIA trained Afghanis and
Mideasterners from all over who came to Afghanistan on how to use guerrilla
tactics to fight the Soviets: for example use $100 worth or moartar rounds
to take out $1,000,000 worth of equipment and a few soldiers, repeat,
repeat, etc. and during the day work your regular jobs so no one knows who
you are. This was how and why al Qaeda formed at that time. After ten
years of extremely expensive occupation, the USSR withdrew from Afghanistan,
bankrupt.

Afghanistan was paid for by Russian petty cash.

Bin Laden has stated that he was hoping to draw the US into a war in the
Mideast with the 9/11 attacks. The US kindly obliged him with two wars.
Now we are essentially in the same boat as the USSR was: we can't win, and
if we withdraw it'll look bad. The Taliban still exists and is still
fighting and killing our soldiers, and the "insurgents" in Iraq are doing
the same.

Odd..even the Democrats say we are winning. You know more than
Hillary and Co.?

Without the US playing Big Brother in 1918, 1942 and from 1945 to
1991..the geopolitical face of the planet would have looked vastly
different, and none of us would likely be in any position to be
discussing this issue, least of all in English.

The US didn't stop playing big brother in 1991, because the reason for doing
it after 1945 was not solely to protect the US from being taken over; it was
largely to gain power and influence in the world.

We already had power and influence in the world as the sole remaining
super power.

Its a dirty job, but someone has to play Big Brother. The alternative
is unthinkable.

What a load of crap. Defending the country and our allies is one thing, but
you can't seem to separate that from military action for the sake of
hegemony. It's the same few tired old mantras of all invaders everywhe

Those countries under our control are which ones again?

"We're saving them from themselves"
"They were going to attack us so we had to strike first"
"They're better off with our system, so we're improving their lives"

Etc. It's the same thing throughout history. It's really easy to believe
your nation is good and righteous when its ways have given you the
opportunity to have a great life.

Read my sig

Gunner

Pure Evoke 1XT DAB radio N Cook Electronics Repair 2 November 10th 07 03:33 PM
Walnut/Pure tung oil Lee Woodworking 3 January 23rd 07 01:09 AM
Pure tung oil Ken Moon Woodturning 7 January 21st 06 12:48 AM
OT-Pure Insanity Cliff Metalworking 3 September 1st 05 06:46 PM
Working with Gallium ? ? ? ? Bruno Beam Metalworking 4 December 15th 04 06:06 PM